It is my understanding that the internal GPS of my Curve 8330 is locked by Verzion. Is there a way to unlock it so that apps that use the GPS can be used?

Thanks,

John
    05-25-09 08:43 AM
    The GPS is not locked per se. What application are you thinking of using with your phone?
    05-25-09 08:47 AM
    It is my understanding that the internal GPS of my Curve 8330 is locked by Verzion. Is there a way to unlock it so that apps that use the GPS can be used?

Thanks,

John
    the GPS is locked and the only GPS software you can use is Verizon navigator
    edit: i stand corrected JeffH
    Last edited by giantfan30; 05-25-09 at 09:11 AM.
    05-25-09 08:49 AM
    You can use BBMaps and VZNav. That's all. Verizon unlocked the GPS in December 2008 for OS 4.5 and higher, but so far no other 3rd party GPS app vendors have modified their apps to work with the internal GPS on 8xxx devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 09:03 AM
    I want to use Trapster without buying a GPS puck.

Thanks,

John
    05-25-09 06:15 PM
    I want to use Trapster without buying a GPS puck.

Thanks,

John
    That is not possible at this writing. When Verizon unlocked the internal GPS for BBMaps for OS4.5 in December 2008, I assumed all other 3rd party vendors would quickly take advantage. That has not happened. Garmin and Google GPS apps use the Storm's internal GPS, but not the internal GPS in 8xxx devices. Whether other 3rd party developers will ever code for the 8xxx internal GPS is an open question.
    05-25-09 07:12 PM
    That's not the case. To use the aGPS server on VZW you need to pay VZW big $$$$ and only Google has done it (but only for the Storm). Yes Garmin works but its not free.

05-26-09 12:49 AM
    I think amazegps has a verizon version for its gps app.

05-26-09 02:10 AM
    That's not the case. To use the aGPS server on VZW you need to pay VZW big $$$$ and only Google has done it (but only for the Storm). Yes Garmin works but its not free.

You are incorrect. BBMaps works fine with GPS on Verizon on my 8330 w/ 4.5.

Brandon
    05-26-09 03:26 AM
    That is not possible at this writing. When Verizon unlocked the internal GPS for BBMaps for OS4.5 in December 2008, I assumed all other 3rd party vendors would quickly take advantage. That has not happened. Garmin and Google GPS apps use the Storm's internal GPS, but not the internal GPS in 8xxx devices. Whether other 3rd party developers will ever code for the 8xxx internal GPS is an open question.

Assuming you were responding to my post, what is not the case?
    05-26-09 05:55 AM
    Assuming you were responding to my post, what is not the case?
    Yes I was. It's not unlocked for free. If your a Developer you need to pay VZW for a Client ID and password to have access to the aGPS server. VZW could not have the GPS on the Storm working (due to a new GPS chip that works well in standalone mode) and the Pearl and the Curve not. So they finally enabled BB Maps but that was it no other free 3rd party apps work.

In the aGPS modes, gpsOne technology utilizes assistance data from a location server in the wireless network in combination with A-GPS circuitry and software in the wireless device.
    Standalone (Autonomous) GPS: The GPS receiver calculates a position without using any assistance data and without a connection to the wireless network.

Note: Verizon does not support the Standalone mode. For BlackBerry Device Software 4.7 and later (ie 9530 Storm), Standalone mode is open to applications that are signed by RIM.
    MS-Based: The GPS receiver calculates the position using assistance data from a location server to increase cold-start sensitivity and reduce the start time for an initial position calculation.
    MS-Assisted: The GPS receiver uses assistance data from a location server to make measurements related to its distance from the GPS satellites, then sends this information to the location server where the position is calculated. This mode also increases cold start sensitivity and reduces the start time for an initial position calculation.
    Note: Verizon requires third-party applications to have a valid Client ID and Password for access to their Location Proxy Server (LPS).
    05-26-09 09:28 AM
    You are incorrect. BBMaps works fine with GPS on Verizon on my 8330 w/ 4.5.

Brandon
    Actualy I am correct...but you miss read what I was saying. No free 3rd party GPS app's work on VZW (BBMaps is not a 3rd party app and yes it does work)
    05-26-09 09:33 AM
    You can use BBMaps and VZNav. That's all. Verizon unlocked the GPS in December 2008 for OS 4.5 and higher, but so far no other 3rd party GPS app vendors have modified their apps to work with the internal GPS on 8xxx devices.

This is correct

Verizon appreared to unlock the GPS for use of it�s own software and the RIM bundled Blackberry Maps, except geotagging photos does not work, even though that is a RIM-bundled feature.
    05-26-09 04:15 PM
    Yes I was. It's not unlocked for free. If your a Developer you need to pay VZW for a Client ID and password to have access to the aGPS server. VZW could not have the GPS on the Storm working (due to a new GPS chip that works well in standalone mode) and the Pearl and the Curve not. So they finally enabled BB Maps but that was it no other free 3rd party apps work.

In the aGPS modes, gpsOne technology utilizes assistance data from a location server in the wireless network in combination with A-GPS circuitry and software in the wireless device.
    Standalone (Autonomous) GPS: The GPS receiver calculates a position without using any assistance data and without a connection to the wireless network.

Note: Verizon does not support the Standalone mode. For BlackBerry Device Software 4.7 and later (ie 9530 Storm), Standalone mode is open to applications that are signed by RIM.
    MS-Based: The GPS receiver calculates the position using assistance data from a location server to increase cold-start sensitivity and reduce the start time for an initial position calculation.
    MS-Assisted: The GPS receiver uses assistance data from a location server to make measurements related to its distance from the GPS satellites, then sends this information to the location server where the position is calculated. This mode also increases cold start sensitivity and reduces the start time for an initial position calculation.
    Note: Verizon requires third-party applications to have a valid Client ID and Password for access to their Location Proxy Server (LPS).
    Thanks for the info. I can corroborate at least part of your explanation based on what I see with my 8830. Since I upgraded to OS 4.5.0.138, BBMaps works with the internal GPS. However, if I turn off the radio, BBMaps loses its satellite lock. Not just the maps stop updating (that's expected), but also the GPS lock is lost. To me, that's proof that BBMaps is using the internal GPS in some form of assisted mode as opposed to autonomous mode.
    05-26-09 09:07 PM
    Yes. According to RIM and Qualcomm anything with the gpsOne chip has standalone but AFAIK it only works on the Storm (regardless of the carrier)

05-26-09 11:59 PM
    Is there any additional charges for "turning on" the gps so BBmaps works as a GPS? or is it part of the data plan?
    05-28-09 05:44 PM
    Is there any additional charges for "turning on" the gps so BBmaps works as a GPS? or is it part of the data plan?
    Your best bet is to buy a bluetooth gps device and use a free program like amaze. I just bought one a few days ago and it works fine on my curve. No additional charge other then buying the device.
    05-28-09 06:25 PM
    Assuming you are running OS 4.5, BBMaps will work with the internal GPS with no extra charge. It works very well on my 8830 running 4.5.0.138. The maps you download will count as data, so you'll want an unlimited plan. Maps aren't cached beyond the end of the session in which they are used.
    05-28-09 08:29 PM
    Assuming you are running OS 4.5, BBMaps will work with the internal GPS with no extra charge. It works very well on my 8830 running 4.5.0.138. The maps you download will count as data, so you'll want an unlimited plan. Maps aren't cached beyond the end of the session in which they are used.
    Thanks! I've used it once or twice now and love it. Always thought VZW navigator was over priced even at 9.99 a month.
    05-29-09 12:50 PM
    Assuming I get a bluetooth gps device for my curve, is there a free turn by turn nav program?

06-05-09 11:30 AM
    Nav4All is one that I have used. I found its User Interface difficult.

06-05-09 11:56 AM
    Assuming I get a bluetooth gps device for my curve, is there a free turn by turn nav program?

amaze works for me but it is a little slow. But it is free.
    06-05-09 04:30 PM
    I'm quite confused, and the more I read through this string, the more confused I got. I would be eternally grateful if someone could give me a (hopefully) simple answer to my question.
    I have a new Verizon Blackberry 8330 Curve, OS 4.5.0.77. Is there a *free* GPS application I can download and use on this device? If so, what is it, and are there any special tricks required to unlock and/or configure the Verizon GPS?
    As background, I've already tried GPS Tracker (it wouldn't connect) and BB Maps (won't download -- tells me my device is not compatible). I'm not sure I want GPS on the berry badly enough to buy a separate device or pay a monthly fee.
    Thanks very much!
    06-08-09 04:52 PM
    The ONE app that will work with the internal GPS (as of this writing) and that is free is BBMaps. You can't download it. You have to install is as an OS module. If you have installed your BlackBerry OS as an app on your PC, then just run the DM App Loader and select BBMaps. That will install it for you. If you don't have your BlackBerry OS installed on your PC, you will have to do that first.

06-08-09 05:04 PM
    I have no clue what it means to load the "BlackBerry OS as an app on your PC" -- can you point me in the right direction? I figured I was doing pretty well when I managed to install the desktop manager (not that it ever seems to do anything useful).
    Thank you, really. Sorry I'm just not getting it.
    06-08-09 05:20 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD