http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/st...-think-230821/

As seen in this thread ^ the storm 2 is "rumored" to be coming out in the near future with what appears to be numerous hardware and software upgrades.

If this is true it seems they have completely halted and given up progress on storm 1 and us storm 1 owners are stuck with a bunk phone and are SOL for the remainder of our contracts.

So my question to you is, what will you do? If this turns out to happen I for one will demand an upgrade price or a discount to get the storm 2. I will not be stuck with this bunk phone for 20 more months. this is outrageous.
    05-19-09 09:25 AM
    Sign up for MyVerizon (online account access) and you can get the annual upgrade ... a new phone at the promotional price if you renew your 2-yr agreement.

That's probably the best -- well and only -- option.

When you buy technology, it becomes obsolete once you walk out the door. That's YOUR choice.

At least you can upgrade at your year anniversary with the phone. I don't think iPhone users were able to do that.
    05-19-09 09:39 AM
    sorry you're uninformed.

see, whenever verizon wants to release a new OS for their blackberries, they have to test them. unfortunately no releases to date have passed these tests. it sucks, but dont get the impression that because the storm 2 is coming out that the storm 1 has been forgotten. case in point: the 8830WE. Verizon only recently released a new update for that phone.
    05-19-09 09:41 AM
    Don't blame RIM for making progress. Technology advances daily. Tomorrow's phones will look different than today's. You are only screwed if you think you are.
    05-19-09 09:41 AM
    Don't blame RIM for making progress. Technology advances daily. Tomorrow's phones will look different than today's. You are only screwed if you think you are.
    I second that !!
    05-19-09 09:43 AM
    If this is true it seems they have completely halted and given up progress on storm 1 and us storm 1 owners are stuck with a bunk phone and are SOL for the remainder of our contracts.
    Yes, thats how everything should work, just release one version of it and then stop. Why do they release a new model of a car every year, or why does Dell release new PCs? Oh and dont get me started on Microsoft, I just installed Vista and now they want me to go to 7? Oh and then theres Apple, released the original iPhone in 2007, then the iPhone 3G in 2008! How dare they!
    05-19-09 09:46 AM
    Wouldn't you think VZW would have to get rid of all the storms before being able to release the storm 2??
    05-19-09 09:53 AM
    Yes, thats how everything should work, just release one version of it and then stop. Why do they release a new model of a car every year, or why does Dell release new PCs? Oh and dont get me started on Microsoft, I just installed Vista and now they want me to go to 7? Oh and then theres Apple, released the original iPhone in 2007, then the iPhone 3G in 2008! How dare they!
    Rabid applause!

With some people's thinking, Microsoft should be paying for that Windows 7 because they once sold Windows 3 & 3.1

Absolutely ludicrous. Go back to a StarTac. You don't deserve tech advances.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 09:55 AM
    no worries , why ?? RIM usually making 2 - 4 new devices every year. I remember last nov RIM did announced for 2009 that they do plan 3 or 4 new devices and so far this year just 3 new devices did show up on some websites.
    05-19-09 09:56 AM
    Wow, you guys move love giving away your hard earned money to wealthy corporations.

I don't, I also think I was ripped off. Yes there is a 30 day trial period, I also thought that if I held onto it they would vastly improve it (lol)
    05-19-09 10:04 AM
    I completely agree. Without advances in cellular technology we would all still be using bag phones.

Wow, you guys move love giving away your hard earned money to wealthy corporations.

I don't, I also think I was ripped off. Yes there is a 30 day trial period, I also thought that if I held onto it they would vastly improve it (lol)
    I don't mind spending the money on a device if I know that I'm going too be happy with it and does what I need it to do. I don't expect it to be able to do everything just out of the box. The storm has vastly improved since what it was on launch day when I walked out of the store with the .65 OS. Yes there are still some bugs present in the OS but what OS has worked perfectly within the first 6 months that it has been released? The changes come slowly over time and every time they fix one, another bug could develop.

05-19-09 10:41 AM
    Rabid applause!

With some people's thinking, Microsoft should be paying for that Windows 7 because they once sold Windows 3 & 3.1

Absolutely ludicrous. Go back to a StarTac. You don't deserve tech advances.

Don't you think that < 1 year is a pretty short product lifecycle? Had it been known that the Storm was on such a compressed product cycle, I suspect many would have waited for Storm 2.

When it comes to software, existing users have the option of purchasing the upgrade version at a substantial discount to the full installation.
    05-19-09 10:47 AM
    So Last what do u say about this?
    Any takes?
    Its just that they came out with it not even a year after release of the new one.
    No OS upgrade; and hadware issues.
    Technically we are not entitled to a thing
    but those of us who have had issues.
    I am wondering how they will handle this.
    Would love to hear Last"s take on it and the other reps as wll.
    Do u think it will be so soon?
    Thanks
    05-19-09 11:04 AM
    Don't you think that < 1 year is a pretty short product lifecycle? Had it been known that the Storm was on such a compressed product cycle, I suspect many would have waited for Storm 2.
    Why do you assume it has a < 1 year life cycle? Rim is releasing another touch screen phone. Does that mean the Bold had a less than 1 year product cycle when they released the 8900?
    05-19-09 11:11 AM
    Besides I wanna see what is in the works for the win mo devices coming out this year.....
    05-19-09 11:15 AM
    I don't believe that is a valid comparison. The Bold has been out longer and has been quite well received from the beginning.

The only official update to the Storm provided marginal improvements. Only power users have been able to achieve performance gains via 'leaked' operating systems. the average user cannot and should not have to do that.

I am not saying that support for Storm 1 will grind to a halt, but the dev and support efforts typically (necessarily) follow the revenue stream new users and renewals.
    05-19-09 11:25 AM
    In case everyone forgot, RIM has a very good option for getting out of the Storm and into the Storm 2. In the Owner's Lounge you can take advantage of the BlackBerry Trade Up program. I dont know what amount they offer for a Storm but several of my customers took advantage of it to move from the 8703 to the Curve and they were pleased with the results.
    From BlackBerry Trade Up Program

The BlackBerry Standard Trade-in Program has ended effective March 31, 2009. If you would like to receive a trade-in quote for your pre-owned equipment, click on the link below and you will be redirected to a Trade-in website where you will be able to get a quote and complete a trade. No proof of purchase is required.
    05-19-09 12:03 PM
    Who says the original will be discontinued?

And no, I don't think <one year is short - computer models never last that long on the market - a DXL8800 is the DXL8825 in just six weeks time. What you have is not al LG or Moto flipper - it is a computer. Get mad at HP or Dell when your new PC is old news in 90 days or less.

Come on folks - these are little computers. It is either a miracle or a travesty that the Curve and 8830 are still with us. In the land of Microsoft, Apple, HP & Dell, all of these devices are ancient dinosaurs - often by the time they are initially released. Once that 30 days passes, you're on your own.

05-19-09 01:18 PM
    Ok, the official trade up program ended. There is still Flip/swap for your phone or some other site. There's also craigslist and ebay
    But once again, a VZW customer shouldn't have to go through all of that.
    05-19-09 03:10 PM
    But once again, a VZW customer shouldn't have to go through all of that.
    But an AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile customer should? My, aren't we special now.

05-19-09 03:16 PM
    I think the frustration comes from haivng a phone that the current software isn't up to par that a ton of people spent a ton of money on. A phone should not reboot on its own..

The simple fact that storm2 would launch before storm 1 doesn't reboot on its own is pretty bad.

However I don't think the storm 2 is as close as everyone states. There will probably be a software update for the storm1 before the storm 2 launched.
    05-19-09 03:19 PM
    But an AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile customer should? My, aren't we special now.

No, you've never heard me say anything like that. I was a Sprint & AT&T customer before. I don't think anyone should have to resort to paying ebay a small fee & praying for their phone to sell because they got a product that didn't satisfy them. I don't know if you're mistaking me for some Verizon troll or "other carrier but Verizon hater", but you've got the wrong guy. I'm definetely not some VZW troll.
    05-19-09 03:30 PM
    I think the frustration comes from haivng a phone that the current software isn't up to par that a ton of people spent a ton of money on. A phone should not reboot on its own..

The simple fact that storm2 would launch before storm 1 doesn't reboot on its own is pretty bad.

However I don't think the storm 2 is as close as everyone states. There will probably be a software update for the storm1 before the storm 2 launched.
    Based on the statement that the CEO of RIM gave, I definetely expect RIM to be al little more careful before giving VZW the okay to release phones, especially with the Storm 2.

And yes, it's kind of frustrating to have a phone that reboots on it's own. Just imagine if that happened during an emergency. But in no case should a phone reboot on its own. I don't care how flashy and cool looking it is, how many things it can do with all it's apps, how fast the speed of the phone is, there's no excuse for a phone to reboot on it's own.
    05-19-09 03:34 PM
    Just like there's no excuse for computers to reboot on their own.

I don't think verizon will give people early upgrades.

05-19-09 03:42 PM
    Just like there's no excuse for computers to reboot on their own.

I don't think verizon will give people early upgrades.

Yeah, don't look forward to Verizon giving any early upgrades. Good luck to each individual trying to convince VZW to hook them up.
    05-19-09 03:45 PM
138 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD