I have been running Lyricidal's .141/5.0 (with a .109 radio) and Shrink-a-OS for over a week. It's been 7 days since my last battery pull and 6 days since my last reset.

This is in NO WAY a rant. As a matter of fact, it's merely my personal opinion about what might be causing the memory leak that some users are having.

I start out with 56.6 MB free memory a week ago and averaging 45.5MB, I have dropped about 2 or 3mb a day for a while. All the while I rarely used my RIM browser. but when I did, I always noticed more than the usual 2-3 mb. more like 4-5 MB loss daily with minimal (10 minutes a day) browser use.

On Saturday and Sunday, I have been away from my computer a lot, and really used my rim browser a LOT. 2+ hours a day... I have dropped 6 MB + sat and sun.

The only other thing I used heavily on Sat but not Sun was the Music Player.

My personal opinion is that it's the default rim browser.

I'm wondering if there's a different version .cod files for the browser that's a little more efficient.

Personally I plan on running the Storm until it officially runs out of MEM, or unless it locks up. So far, so good. Only a hint here or there of a bit of slowness in transition. Definitely it's still better than .75

on a side note, I found myself at our local mall kiosk (while waiting on my wife to come out of bath and body works, yuck) and I walked up to the storm, and simply turned it landscape, portrait, landscape, portrait about 3 times. would you believe it only transitioned once. LOL

Any thoughts on my assumptions, or does any one else have anything to add?
    05-17-09 07:12 PM
    If its your personal opinion then why did you title the thread the way you did?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 07:40 PM
    The title is only so big?

but anyways...

Lets try to stick with the topic just once???

so what's your "personal opinion" about what could be a cause of said memory leak?
    05-17-09 07:45 PM
    You're probably right. I had 43 mb at reset today and it was steady at 39 for the day. Then I used my browser for around 3 hours and its sitting at 12 now. Mem doesn't matter much to me though, as long as my phone runs smooth I'm good and its running smooth at 12. =]

05-17-09 09:54 PM
    I seem to have a problem with memory and battery life. I either get really good battery life and ****ty memory, or good memory and really ****ty battery life. Its been like this with every leaked/hybrid OS Ive used. I never had both other then with the 113v3.5 or whatever it was awhile back. That OS kicked ***, these newer ones have cool features but suck for batt/mem
    05-17-09 10:40 PM
    You are lucky me i have just :garmin, wheather and theme.... And i start to 46 and after 1h down to 30.... Always drop down. I make 2 reste a day.

05-18-09 08:52 AM
    Are you positive that you are shutting down the browser when your done or are you leaving it running in the background?
    05-18-09 09:28 AM
    Are you positive that you are shutting down the browser when your done or are you leaving it running in the background?
    You can't shut the browser down though. It's always running. Unless you're talking about him being on a website that constantly refreshes.
    05-18-09 09:36 AM
    "bath and body works, yuck ??"

what are you? a freakin' goat?

but then i just noticed your picture! you ARE a goat!! )))))))))
    05-18-09 09:55 AM
    You're probably right. I had 43 mb at reset today and it was steady at 39 for the day. Then I used my browser for around 3 hours and its sitting at 12 now. Mem doesn't matter much to me though, as long as my phone runs smooth I'm good and its running smooth at 12. =]

I disagree. My memory drops about 6mb at idle. If I use my browser it goes up. Sometimes to more than I get at startup

05-18-09 10:45 AM
    I've been trying to force myself to not pay attention to memory anymore. The reason why is because my phone performs the same now no matter what the memory is. I think everyone's obsession with it rubbed off on me and I'm now just trying to break the habit. I'm at 39mb after boot and 3+ days (or more) later I'm at 13mb. Phone runs exactly the same for me.

I should add that my memory seemed to stay higher longer under .135/.141, but I started to realize that the free memory doesn't seem to effect my performance any longer so I just left the hybrid OS installed and said the h*ll with it.
    Last edited by notabun; 05-18-09 at 10:56 AM.
    05-18-09 10:54 AM
    I'm not saying its the OS(I'm running the same one) but when I close the browser then hold down the BB button down it says the browser is still running? First time this has been happening.

05-18-09 10:57 AM
    I disagree. My memory drops about 6mb at idle. If I use my browser it goes up. Sometimes to more than I get at startup

Same here, when I leave my phone at idle for a couple of hours the memory usually drops to 35mb
    But then when I use the browser for a little bit the memory bounces back to 51mb which is more
    Than I get on startup.

05-18-09 11:04 AM
    Here's what I notice about my storm memory. The more I DL application without running them in the background, the less memory I get when booting up.

05-18-09 11:10 AM
    I'm not saying its the OS(I'm running the same one) but when I close the browser then hold down the BB button down it says the browser is still running? First time this has been happening.

This has been there from the beginning. The browser is always running in the background.

Here's what I notice about my storm memory. The more I DL application without running them in the background, the less memory I get when booting up.

I don't know if you're joking but, apps are stored in the same 128MB space as the OS and free available memory (RAM-type). So yes, the more you D/L, the less available memory you'll have.
    05-18-09 11:15 AM

This is weird because i have noticed (at least on builds prior to 141) that when I used the browser, it actually pushed my memory back up. But that may have been before I swapped out to the 5.0 browser. Is the OP using the 4.7.x browser or 5.0?
    05-18-09 02:23 PM
    If the file module is net_rim_apps_internal_browser, it's 5.0.0.90

but if the file module is net_rim_bbapi_browser, it's still 4.7.0.141

Not sure which file is the correct one.
    05-18-09 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD