I was all set to buy the 8330 Curve when I came across the Samsung Saga. It appears to do everything the Curve does plus more (WiFi, more free/3rd party apps, more memory, you name it). But, part of me wants to be a Crackberry fanboy (I've never owned an type of PDA phone before).

Note though that I don't care about "push email" but I need to have be able to use AOL IM using Data and not texts (which I believe both can do).

So, I'm challenging you to sell me on the 8330...why should I buy it?

Thanks,

Knuteski
    05-17-09 07:06 PM
    The biggest reason why you should buy it: It uses the BB OS and not WinMo.
    The BB OS is stable, fast, never locks up, and is downright a joy to use.
    05-17-09 07:08 PM
    Lets see, have you ever used a Windows Based PC? Ever had a problem like the thing FROZE all the time, or it never quite ran the way you wanted to or when you needed it most? Thats exactly what a Win-Mo phone will do.

The Blackberry on the other hand, its more like the Mac OS where it is very stable and none of those problems really occur. Also, on the BB you can do all software type troubleshooting on your own without having to replace the phone, not so much on a Win-Mo phone.

Thats my $.02
    05-17-09 07:09 PM
    Lecture 1: Why BlackBerry? | CrackBerry.com

But really the Blackberry is a solid device. I would suggest you research both devices and try both out at the store. Get something that will work well for you, you will be paying for it and using it everyday.... Blackberry's are not for everyone but you may like it

Good Luck.
    05-17-09 07:12 PM
    I think the bb os is more like linux based machine, not so much mac, but either way, way way better then win mo device... Blah to windows!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 07:13 PM
    Why do we need to sell you on a blackberry? Do your research and buy the phone that fits your needs.
    05-17-09 07:33 PM
    And they're so easy to use, I have never opened a manual.
    05-17-09 10:26 PM
    It sounds like you already have your mind set not to buy a blackberry. You stated that the Saga could do all the curve could and then some. I say if you've done all the research you can and weighed the pros and cons of each device, you can make an informed decision on which to buy. Good luck with your decision whatever it might me...

05-17-09 10:47 PM
    That's the opposite actually, I really want the Curve but whenever I buy something "expensive" like a new phone I always end up having buyers remorse thinking maybe I should have gotten the other one. This is my one shot to get an expensive phone as my work will pay for either one (1 time) so I want to make the best decision.

I guess I'll need to go and play with them today but honestly, I think I'm leaning towards the Curve...I never hear anything bad about it (besides "I wish it had X").

Thanks gang...
    05-18-09 05:55 AM
    That's the opposite actually, I really want the Curve but whenever I buy something "expensive" like a new phone I always end up having buyers remorse thinking maybe I should have gotten the other one. This is my one shot to get an expensive phone as my work will pay for either one (1 time) so I want to make the best decision.

I guess I'll need to go and play with them today but honestly, I think I'm leaning towards the Curve...I never hear anything bad about it (besides "I wish it had X").

Thanks gang...
    Verizon allows you time to change your mind.
    05-18-09 05:59 AM

Thanks gang...

If you have never owned a PDA phoen before the phone will seem crazy at first. However I will tell you that windows mobile can be a headache and for a new user it may not be my first choice for them. To say you couldn't learn it is wrong. I think you would learn the curve faster and be more efficient with it though.

Just my 2 cents..

I am also not a fan of windows mobile though just from the headaches I have had with it with end users that I have worked with. They have caused me the most issues.
    05-18-09 06:03 AM
    I am going to upset many BlackBerry blinders types here - but oh well. I call things as I see them.

If it is your first smartphone, BlackBerr is probably your best choice. If not, then get the Saga, for all the reasons you mentioned plus some.

The WinMo platform is much more capable, with more configurations available - but some of those configuration options can create problems just like they can within Windows XP or Vista. Still, it is very reliable these days. WinMo 6.5 & 7.0 promise to improve on this. This extra complexity is the big reason I recommend BlackBerry for new users.

BlackBerry is not the ultimate representation of reliability, requiring frequent battery pulls. Add too many apps and you run out of memory, which will cause freeze ups. Accidentally click on link to the wrong Website and you will be hit with an extended hourglass which you must either wait out - browser crash - or pull the battery.

Video it vastly improved in WinMo, with the ability to view many more online videos & files.

WinMo phones are natively compatible with Windows XP/Vista and are much simpler to interface with Mac machines. BlackBerry requires interface software that doesn't play well with Mac & is a pain in Windows.

BlackBerry email handling is improved with "push email" capability, but with that, you end up with an extra layer of connectivity, the RIM servers. While this improves online anonymity, it also slows your data transfers. It also means that for your device to function, two connections must be active. If either your carrier's connection or the RIM server connection goes down, you have the equivalent of an LG phone with voice/test messaging only. The push email is highly overrated in this day & age of constant data connection plans. I can set the Saga to automatically check the email servers every two minutes - so worst case scenario is I get an email less than two minutes faster on a BlackBerry. But as long as my carrier's service works, at least I can get them. If either the RIM server or the carrier connection is down, scratch email or online browsing with BlackBerry.

The battery life on the Saga can be dramatically improved by shutting off the WiFi except when needed - it defaults to auto-on and many folks never figure out how to change it to on demand only.

There are fans of each. I have both, and I can see a day coming soon where BlackBerry will be a niche player again, like Palm has become. Rim sticks to the same old, as did Palm. I see Windows & Android both eating RIMs lunch in the near future - and the BlackBerry at all cost types will be sitting on the sidelines.
    05-18-09 09:02 AM
    How are windows mobile phones much easier to interface with a Mac? Blackberry at least provides a free solution. It may not be the best, but at least it is free and a syncing solution. The only thing I have heard of for winmo and mac are paid options. Care to explain this Twins?

05-18-09 09:51 AM
    Why do we need to sell you on a blackberry? Do your research and buy the phone that fits your needs.
    I second that!
    05-18-09 11:45 AM
    How are windows mobile phones much easier to interface with a Mac? Blackberry at least provides a free solution. It may not be the best, but at least it is free and a syncing solution. The only thing I have heard of for winmo and mac are paid options. Care to explain this Twins?
    Pretty simple, actually - connect to the Mac & the device is recognized. I can update the OS and everything without going to any great lengths. With a BlackBerry, you need special software to do anything within the device itself on a Mac. As we know, Mac & BlackBerrys don't play well together.

My main machines run both Mac & Windows. To do anything with BlackBerry, I have to do it in Windows. With the WinMo devices, I can do it on either OS - or even Linux.

05-18-09 11:58 AM
    Hmm....all the research I have done says that you need to purchase The Missing Sync to even sync a WinMo phone with a mac...Haven't found any information on how to update a WinMo phone on a mac....
    If memory serves me correctly, all the updates (if done through a computer) are .exe files, which Macs cannot natively read, unless they have a program like boot camp installed....
    05-18-09 12:41 PM
    First off, do you have a Mac & a WinMo phone? I do - in several variations on both. I can tell you that BootCamp stinks. If you ever want to run both operating systems on the same machine, use BootCamp only as a backup or for Windows gaming.

Parallels is much better. It allows you to run Windows in a window within the Mac OS or vice versa. Between that & File Juicer, I can manipulate exe files on the Mac - even without invoking a WinOS.

Plug a BlackBerry into a computer that doesn't have Desktop Manager installed. Can you see the file system? Now, plug a WinMo phone into Windows or Mac. Guess what - without SyncMate, PocketMac or Missing Sync, you can view & manipulate the file system.

This may get some people into trouble, but we can't protect every dummy.

What you're referring to with the Sync/PocketMac software is automated synchronization of calendar/contact data. But hey, if you have MSOffice or on your Mac, you really don't even need anything else unless you want an automated process.

Without any sync software, I can update & manage a WinMo phone on a Mac. The sync software just makes it easier.

05-18-09 03:19 PM
    Storm if you want to be entertained but iphone does that better. Curve if you want usable features and simplicity. Saga hands down if you want a powerhouse at your fingertips with the basic goodness of the Curve but features that make the Curve seem third world. Mobile Office comes on the Saga. No extras needed to manage those files and yes you can work on a straight up Mac without addins if you know what you're doing. The syncers do make life better on mac but are not needed at all on Windows. With Windows you can sync and update nearly anywhere. No obex support on bluetooth for the Saga though but there really isn't much on BB either.

05-18-09 03:56 PM
    First off, do you have a Mac & a WinMo phone? I do - in several variations on both. I can tell you that BootCamp stinks. If you ever want to run both operating systems on the same machine, use BootCamp only as a backup or for Windows gaming.

Parallels is much better. It allows you to run Windows in a window within the Mac OS or vice versa. Between that & File Juicer, I can manipulate exe files on the Mac - even without invoking a WinOS.

Plug a BlackBerry into a computer that doesn't have Desktop Manager installed. Can you see the file system? Now, plug a WinMo phone into Windows or Mac. Guess what - without SyncMate, PocketMac or Missing Sync, you can view & manipulate the file system.

This may get some people into trouble, but we can't protect every dummy.

What you're referring to with the Sync/PocketMac software is automated synchronization of calendar/contact data. But hey, if you have MSOffice or on your Mac, you really don't even need anything else unless you want an automated process.

Without any sync software, I can update & manage a WinMo phone on a Mac. The sync software just makes it easier.

Aah...but it does require some external software not native to a mac, some being quite expensive (Full version of Windows, for example).

Enable disk mode on my berry, and I can manipulate the files/folders that I need to from my mac anyway.
    05-18-09 04:41 PM
    Aah...but it does require some external software not native to a mac, some being quite expensive (Full version of Windows, for example).

Enable disk mode on my berry, and I can manipulate the files/folders that I need to from my mac anyway.
    That only allows media card access.

05-18-09 04:46 PM
    No - read what I wrote again. If you know what you're doing & don't care about an automated sync process (connect & sync without any other input) you don't need any extra software. You can update your software and load data without anything other than a Mac computer, as you're not executing anything on the Mac; you're only using it for connection and transfer.

WinMo isn't picky like BlackBerry is.

05-18-09 06:11 PM
    i didn't want to comment on this but I feel I have to. One of the main things about your post twin was that if the blackberry servers go down you dont have email.. Yes that is very true. However being that you typed so much about it you make it seem like a huge problem. In many many many years they have only went down a handful of times and very rarely. So even though its kind of semi a flawed setup it hasn't really been a issue in like forever. A person will experience not having data on there device from the carrier way more often then the rim servers going down.

I also would like to add that you stated that push email is over rated but you didn't include the fact that just about everything you do on a blackberry is push

for example face book and myspace if you use them they dont even have to be opened and when you get a message you get notified just like a text message and you get a icon on top a star on the app and it even streams into your message folder.

The same go's for many other services/apps on a blackberry

Fetch of which you talk about on windows mobile is not efficient on a battery. I can't say that blackberrys always have the best battery life but if you start fetching on many services on a windows mobile device it drains the heck out of the battery faster then that of a blackberry.

I cant say that the saga is a bad device I checked it out when it was released. For a windows mobile user on verizon its probably there current best offering.

I understand that you seem to be more of a windows mobile fan than that of blackberry and everyone has a right to the device they use. Being in the IT field I am forced to work with microsoft. I personally use a mac at home but sorry microsoft is not a innovative company they really aren't they often try to copy things and do a lackluster job at doing so. What I mean by this is that many companys have tried to make semi skin like type things ontop of windows mobile because the setup of it itself just isn't great for a mobile phone.

I really do want them to make some kind of headway in making a better intuitive OS. Windows is not good on a mobile device they need to walk away from that formula they really do. I must say that I am a fan of them integrating outlook type email and such because it really works well.

Its just with end users in general I have found that more of them have called me with issues about there windows mobile device then that of blackberrys. Are blackberrys the end all of devices "NO" there not they have work to do on it as well.

I do say that a person has to pick with they want to use for themselfs though. Its not up to me to decide what someone else uses.

I really do have a love hate relationship with microsoft products. Some things they do well but sometimes I think WTF! did you do that for.
    Last edited by noaim; 05-18-09 at 06:30 PM.
    05-18-09 06:16 PM
    i didn't want to comment on this but I feel I have to. One of the main things about your post twin was that if the blackberry servers go down you dont have email.. Yes that is very true. However being that you typed so much about it you make it seem like a huge problem. In many many many years they have only went down a handful of times and very rarely. So even though its kind of semi a flawed setup it hasn't really been a issue in like forever. A person will experience not having data on there device from the carrier way more often then the rim servers going down.
    Don't forget that the push method does help with battery life. If you set a WinMo phone to check for updates every two minutes, or even every 15 minutes, you are decreasing battery life. I've tried it with my old treo (the "pull" email method).
    05-18-09 06:20 PM
    Don't forget that the push method does help with battery life. If you set a WinMo phone to check for updates every two minutes, or even every 15 minutes, you are decreasing battery life. I've tried it with my old treo (the "pull" email method).

I actually did a fairly big edit to my post that addressed that as well hahah

I guess we can say "jinx"
    05-18-09 06:48 PM
    I personally use a mac at home but sorry microsoft is not a innovative company they really aren't they often try to copy things and do a lackluster job at doing so. What I mean by this is that many companys have tried to make semi skin like type things ontop of windows mobile because the setup of it itself just isn't great for a mobile phone.

I really do have a love hate relationship with microsoft products. Some things they do well but sometimes I think WTF! did you do that for.
    Completely agree with you on this one.
    IMO if they miss it with windows mobile 7 they have a problem on their hands.
    05-18-09 06:59 PM
93 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD