hello all, i just got off the phone with alltel tech support and they did confirm that you can switch over to verizon for free, no matter how much contract you have left... so i thought that was a pretty good idea, so i think i will wait for a sweet bb to come to verizon and take advantage of this merger,
    05-17-09 04:26 PM
    Cool...wish VZ would get the Bold....that is one BB I wanna rock.
    05-17-09 04:54 PM
    So in lieu of a ETF you have to purchase a new phone? Seems kinda pointless.
    05-17-09 05:14 PM
    Yeah,but if you have a BlackBerry you have to pay 30 bucks a month exrta.And pay a tethering fee of 35 bucks a month,too.
    05-17-09 09:16 PM
    just 3 weeks ago they wouldn't allow this, had to have less than 4 months left.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 09:20 PM
    Yeah,but if you have a BlackBerry you have to pay 30 bucks a month exrta.And pay a tethering fee of 35 bucks a month,too.
    seriously? why the **** are they so high?
    05-17-09 10:06 PM
    No you cannot. I was told the same but Alltel still charged ETFs and were not waived.

05-17-09 10:11 PM
    No you cannot. I was told the same but Alltel still charged ETFs and were not waived.

i don't know man, i just got off the phone with them when i added this thread, so i dunno... hard to tell, i dont think i want verizon now anyways, there plans are rediculous.
    05-17-09 10:20 PM
    It depends. I switched because I get 17 percent off my bill and an additional 20 percent off my data package. So for me it was way cheaper to be with Verizon.

As for the ETFs, tech services would even have the authority to waive ETFs. Even a customer service rep has to submit it to a manager. Then it can even go to the Executive Customer Relations department. They give the final approval or not. My ETFs were supposed to be prorated. I had a letter from an executive customer rep which I faxed it. The rep did the proration, the manager approved, and the same dept that told me they would prorate it denied the request.
    They told me that even though the two companies were in a merger process, they were still acting as two seperate companies.

I understand tgat, but I just didn't like the fact that I received a letter saying they would prorate my ETFs but then the same department said no they wouldn't. That was just frustrating. Makes me glad I'm not with them now.

05-17-09 10:31 PM
    I had a vzw rep tell me that alltel's lower priced data plans are the reason the company was in financial trouble. I realy enjoyed the part where he told me I was going to pay their price sooner or later. ****, I want to get rid of my BB anyway, the etf is the only reason I still got it. I wish vzw would offer to let me out like t-mobile did suncom here a while back.

05-18-09 06:43 AM
    The VZW rep was full of it. Alltel was a profitable company. They were growing in customers at a faster rate then Verizon based on overall size (they were growing customers at about 1/3rd of the total amount Verizon was and 1/6th of the size). It was the fact they were profitable that they got sold, not the other way around.

Because Alltel was a money earner, and growing so fast VZN offered the equity group who owned Alltel a 3 billion dollar profit after the sale. Basically that meant, for them, their investment turned into a 3 billion dollar profit in 12 months. They couldn't pass it up from a business perspective. It was too lucrative.
    05-18-09 07:24 AM
    I had a vzw rep tell me that alltel's lower priced data plans are the reason the company was in financial trouble. I realy enjoyed the part where he told me I was going to pay their price sooner or later. ****, I want to get rid of my BB anyway, the etf is the only reason I still got it. I wish vzw would offer to let me out like t-mobile did suncom here a while back.

Unfortunately, they won't let you out. Even though Verizon didn't buy Alltel for the customers...they have customers. The main reason why they purchased Alltel was for their equipment. It's expensive to put up new towers...2 mil a piece.

VZW will continue to honor Alltel contracts through the time you signed.
    05-18-09 08:05 AM
    05-18-09 08:10 AM
    Yeah I know I'm stuck with staying on data or paying etf, wishfull thinking is all. My service is great and alltels plan is very well priced, this economy is just forcing us to look at cutting back on some things is all.

05-18-09 10:01 AM
    I know this has been said, but I work for Alltel, and I know that the VZW reps have been saying some weird stuff to Alltel customers lately, and honestly, if you ask for generic info from any call center rep, there is a chance it's not 100% accurate.

You can switch to VZW if you're in the last 4 months of your contract, no sooner, at least without paying the ETF.

Unfortunantly, yes, VZW plans are more expensive, I have had a Verizon account for 4 years, and was paying 20 more a month at VZW then the same plan was at Alltel. One of the perks for Smartphone customers, is their network is a bit faster, maybe not for BB's but for any REV-A Device, meaning the Touch Diamond/Pro, and either of the 2 newest Wireless cards we have.

In Michigan all Alltel devices that are Rev-A are currently on Rev-A, before it was all EVDO because our towers werent that high tech all over.

If you guys want to keep your plans, get in contract one way or another, and then ride it out.
    05-18-09 10:58 AM
    No one in my store is aware of this policy whatsoever. There has been no confirmation on this sent to my corporate store. I understand sometimes other sections of customer service and tech are told something else; but at this point in time...you can't just switch over unless your contract is actually up (or you have that 4 months left).

I wouldn't be surprised if VZW ran a promotion to get customers a current rate plan, but nothing in that has been said either. This last part is just my own pure speculation.
    05-18-09 10:51 PM
    TS here and we've not been told anything other than the 4 months that the rest of the company knows. Confused rep is all.
    05-20-09 12:32 AM
    . . .One of the perks for Smartphone customers, is their network is a bit faster, maybe not for BB's but for any REV-A Device, meaning the Touch Diamond/Pro, and either of the 2 newest Wireless cards we have.
    I've sat side by side with my coworker's VZW 8330 with both of us having full EVDO bars and his is quicker on the internet and downloads programs quicker than my alltel 8330 does, small consolation for paying more on VZW I guess.
    05-20-09 09:22 PM
    Are you both on the same SID?

forkup
    05-21-09 12:26 PM
    I Talked To A Regional Rep And She Advised Me That If You Have A Blackberry They Will All Convert Over At The End Of July When They Totally Combined The Two Networks. If You Are An Alltel Customer Under Contract You Will Remain On An Alltel Rate Plan. She Said The Only Way You Can Get A New Phone With Vzw Is If Your Phone Will Not Convert Over For Some Reason Or If You Are In The Last Four Months Of Your Contract Either Way You Have To Sign Up For A Two Year Agreement With A Vzw Plan. She Did Say However If You Have Insurance On Your Current Phone And Your Contract Expires Like A Year From Now You Can Call The Insurance Company That Is Not Affilated With Verizon Or Alltel And They Will Give You The Model You Have Or Equivalent And You Can Keep Your Alltel Contract As Long As You Keep Insurance Just Make Sure Your Phone Is Inoperable Before Calling The Insurance Company Because You Will Be Required To Send In Back To Them. She Said One Day Verizon Will Tell You Where To Go And Cancel Your Plan All Together When You Are Not Under Contract And Offer You Their Rate Plan To Stay. I Know My Friend Has The Same Plan With Vzw As Me And My Wife And He And His Wife Pay About $43 More And Month And They Receive A 22% Discount Every Month, I Hate The Day I Lose This Alltel Plan.
    05-24-09 07:47 PM
    If that is true about being forced to takeone of vzw's plans than I will probably leave. With the economy and work the way it is, I am having a hard time justifying what we pay now for a smartchoice plan. I got a year left to find out. If they are planning to force people off their plan after contracts expire, then they should truely just let people opt out the minute everything is completely vzw. I will be glad when the dust settles and I get a real answer from vzw on where we all stand, in the meantime I will continue to keep an eye on their competition's rate plans.
    05-25-09 09:52 AM
    I Talked To A Regional Rep And She Advised Me That If You Have A Blackberry They Will All Convert Over At The End Of July When They Totally Combined The Two Networks. If You Are An Alltel Customer Under Contract You Will Remain On An Alltel Rate Plan. She Said The Only Way You Can Get A New Phone With Vzw Is If Your Phone Will Not Convert Over For Some Reason Or If You Are In The Last Four Months Of Your Contract Either Way You Have To Sign Up For A Two Year Agreement With A Vzw Plan. She Did Say However If You Have Insurance On Your Current Phone And Your Contract Expires Like A Year From Now You Can Call The Insurance Company That Is Not Affilated With Verizon Or Alltel And They Will Give You The Model You Have Or Equivalent And You Can Keep Your Alltel Contract As Long As You Keep Insurance Just Make Sure Your Phone Is Inoperable Before Calling The Insurance Company Because You Will Be Required To Send In Back To Them. She Said One Day Verizon Will Tell You Where To Go And Cancel Your Plan All Together When You Are Not Under Contract And Offer You Their Rate Plan To Stay. I Know My Friend Has The Same Plan With Vzw As Me And My Wife And He And His Wife Pay About $43 More And Month And They Receive A 22% Discount Every Month, I Hate The Day I Lose This Alltel Plan.

I have never once heard this being the case and I work in a corporate store.

If you are having true confusions, please go into your local corporate store and speak with your local reps. That is the way to gain the absolute best information for your area. Certain stores may already have some Vzw managers in there and they also could help answer questions.

I've looked at several alltel/vzw plans. My rate plan will stay the exact same. Vzw does charge more for certain things and other times, the way they bundle items together makes everything look more expensive when really, its not too different.

If you choose to dispute that, then I suggest picking up a Vzw magalogue and truly looking at what each price includes. I have several friends on Vzw with berrys and we pay the exact same amount as each other.
    05-25-09 07:06 PM
    I went to a vzw store and even with a 19% discount I will be paying $40 more for their closest plan to my smartchoice 1200 with the same features with 2 berrys. The rep said I will be paying it sooner or later and said that the rate plans were one of the reasons alltel tanked.

05-26-09 11:35 AM
    I recently renewed my contract with Alltel, to be grandfathered in for 2 more years. I was going to go to VZW but my 4 month pre renwal isnt until July. I talked to both companies and they all said 4 months.
    05-26-09 01:06 PM
    Yeah I just re uped my two year contract and that keeps my price the same I'm happy.
    05-26-09 07:22 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD