do you guys think that RIM did away with the SurePress technology? in my opinion it looks like the screen doesnt look like one that would press down. but thats just how i feel. it would actually be awesome if the touchscreen for this device ended up being like that.

what do you guys think?
    05-14-09 11:20 PM
    Its still there. You can still see the gaps around the screen. Also, its better than what we have now. More points of contact.
    05-14-09 11:24 PM
    Should be the same, but better. I think they've learned a bit from the first "semi failed" design. Besides, there's another phone in the works that has a truepress screen and keyboard. I want to see more of this Storm 2... I will dream of it tonight. lol
    05-14-09 11:35 PM
    Well then for sure the screen looks like its more in place then it is now and hopefully it wont move around as much. However the send, end, bb button, and back buttons look touch sensitive?
    05-14-09 11:39 PM
    I don't think the 4 buttons are now touch sensitive. But I do think that the truepress is a better version that the surepress. Can't wait for the specs to come out though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 11:42 PM
    Should be the same, but better. I think they've learned a bit from the first "semi failed" design. Besides, there's another phone in the works that has a truepress screen and keyboard. I want to see more of this Storm 2... I will dream of it tonight. lol
    I agree with the belief that RIM has used this experience to design a better product. I personally am very curious as to what this new truepress is. I mean design wise. I wonder if it would be safe to assume that it won't be a screen sitting on a center button basically right? I for one have been happy with my screen for the most part. I guess the only thing i would like to see improved is something that has been mentioned here several times over and that is an app or an option built into the OS that allows typing without having to press the screen down.
    05-15-09 12:34 AM
    They could have moved to an array of buttons. The issue with the current screen now is that the screen must be stiff enough and have enough leverage to depress the center mounted button. If they have an array of them (let's say 4 or 5) the screen wouldn't have to flex as much to press in on one or more of those buttons to register something. This sort of change would also help keep the screen from having to teeter totter so much on the edges and would also alleviate the need for a large gap on the edges. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I want one now!
    05-15-09 12:43 AM
    They could have moved to an array of buttons. The issue with the current screen now is that the screen must be stiff enough and have enough leverage to depress the center mounted button. If they have an array of them (let's say 4 or 5) the screen wouldn't have to flex as much to press in on one or more of those buttons to register something. This sort of change would also help keep the screen from having to teeter totter so much on the edges and would also alleviate the need for a large gap on the edges. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I want one now!
    Well said! I cant wait to get more details and to get my hands on one.
    05-15-09 12:45 AM
    You aren't the only one. I would love to get a hold of one just for a little while. In talking about the array of buttons, I'm thinking an X pattern would work best wouldn't you say? A button in each corner with one in the center? It's hard to tell but it does look like the gap around the screen is smaller too which will definitely be nice.
    05-15-09 12:52 AM
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. 4 in the corners and one in the center.
    05-15-09 01:02 AM
    dreaming of the storm eh civic
    05-15-09 01:06 AM
    storm 2 looks so good i wish we could see more pics
    05-15-09 02:34 AM
    It looks brill. Dunno if i like the buttons not being hard. I mean if one of its flaws is having the dodgy click in the corners. Its going to be mad answering calls etc without the proper 'Click' (if you know what i mean).

Just hope its a sucess. By time its out my contract will end. And this time if it dosnt appeal to me by the 30day return i think i might actually get the tour or something.

Lets hope hey guys
    05-15-09 03:10 AM
    What it can also be is a button on each corner of the screen... When you press the middle then all 4 corners would register the press along with having the 4 corners of independent pressing...
    05-15-09 03:18 AM
    You could wonder if the 4 "function" keys are touch sensitive why have them as "marked on glass" permanent keys & not just actual icons ?....but looking at the photos it doesn't look like the screen has increased in size to include this as theres a black bar behind the buttons & then the screen starts (similar to Storm Original)...so I wonder if all they've done is removed the plastic buttons & just extended the glass down but the button "mechanism" behind is the same.

Looks interesting though, seems thinner & as posted screen gap looks much smaller....not too keen on the plastic buttons included on the moulding on the sides & camera not being 5mp or higher but those are just first leaked photos things could change by time of release.

Also hope its not tied to Voda here in UK.....saves a lot of hassle finding unlocked ones when it first appears....but i'm still happy with "Storm Original "so unless theres a Huge difference in "Storm 2 :- Clicks Revenge" i wont imediately rush to get one.
    05-15-09 04:29 AM
    And it is still stuck at 3.2 mega pixel
    What a shame.
    05-15-09 04:34 AM
    My experience is that the camera doesn't work well, media playing on the device doesn't work well, movies, tv shows etc.

When trying to record video/take a picture/watch a video, well lets just say none of those things work well. We've had our devices since November and those things still don't work well and yes I have upgraded and tried some of
    the "leaked OS's".

I do like the email(when it works, seems like we get outages
    weekly for hours at a time) I do like the other apps as well.

This is my first "smart phone"

One of the main reasons I got a Storm was so that I could consolidate
    my movies/music/etc when I travel so I don't have to carry as much
    stuff around. At least 6 months into this experiment I still need to carry
    just as much stuff when I travel because the Storm still isn't all it was
    "supposed" to be. Maybe it's still coming but 6 months is a long time in
    "computer time" I still can't load up my movies on my Storm and play them
    on a TV, heck 1/2 the time the Storm will crash when I'm watching something
    and I get a phone. If I want to go back to the same part of the movie it
    takes a few minutes to get back to that spot.

I really do like the device and I went with the Storm because a phone really
    needs to make calls :-) and Verizon has the best coverage but for myself
    I've been disappointed in the media capabilities. All of those capabilities have
    been available in other devices for a while from other portable devices). I
    still carry my PSP around just to watch movies and TV shows when I travel
    at least with the PSP and the Storm I don't usually have to carry a laptop
    with me anymore but I'm pretty sure I'll be doing to one of those tiny ones
    soon and might go back to a regular phone vs the Storm.

I really do like the Storm but I'm a hardheaded **** and I'm just about to the
    point where I take the phone back to Verizon and start asking them how I get
    the video/camera/movies working and not crash the phone and if they can't
    then I'll ask them to take it back. I'll spend an hour or 2 with them but if
    they can't demonstrate how to make "my" phone work like it should then it
    doesn't work. I hate wasting my time but it's the principal.

Please excuse my spelling and my rant kinda but I'm starting to get a bit
    frustrated with the device and how much time I have to spend maintaining
    it. We pay enough money to Verizon for the phone and service and it should
    just work! If I wanted to own a development platform then shouldn't they
    pay me?
    05-15-09 05:19 AM
    Storm 2 brings one word to mind; refinement.

I like the idea of the hard buttons being transfered to the screen as these buttons on storm 1 are really cheap looking. But a clickable screen is really the only way BB can go to achieve a touch screen interface. the OS is simply designed that way. Overall, Im somewhat happy to see that BB isnt going in a radical new direction with the next storm because for the most part, Storm 1 is a kickass phone.
    05-15-09 05:32 AM
    It's a kickass phone but so is the Dare :-) It needs a lot more refinement!
    05-15-09 05:49 AM
    As per Engadget, there has been a source saying that the surepress has been dropped and that the screen is solid in place like the iPhone and others, and should have some sort of haptic feedback.

BlackBerry Storm 2 dropping SurePress screen?
    05-15-09 05:54 PM
    As per Engadget, there has been a source saying that the surepress has been dropped and that the screen is solid in place like the iPhone and others, and should have some sort of haptic feedback.

BlackBerry Storm 2 dropping SurePress screen?
    Ugh! Personally, I hope that this is not the case. If so it greatly diminishes the appeal of the phone for me. I had a Samsung Glyde before stepping up to my 9530 and the haptic feedback was terrible - that on top of a buggy O/S (you guys think the Storm O/S is buggy) - worse phone I've ever had - by leaps and bounds. I gave up on it after only 7 months because I couldn't deal with the aggrevation and the unreliability any longer.

The SurePress took some getting use to on the 9530, but I'd hate not having it now. I truly feel it's one of the major things that sets this device apart.
    05-15-09 06:23 PM
    For you verizon fanboys this will NOT be a verizon fone

EDIT 1: Don't get me wrong i love verizon and verizon wireless and would go no where else
    Last edited by BAGTEVZ; 05-15-09 at 07:00 PM.
    05-15-09 06:58 PM
    Ok, Ive been gone for a while. where are these storm 2 pictures?
    05-15-09 07:03 PM
    For you verizon fanboys this will NOT be a verizon fone

EDIT 1: Don't get me wrong i love verizon and verizon wireless and would go no where else

What r you basing your hypothesis on?
    05-15-09 07:21 PM
    Did anyone happen to save the pictures of the phone that were posted on the front page and could send them to me? I'd really appreciate it since they were removed.
    05-15-09 07:27 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD