Hey Crackberry,

My Girls 8100 Pearl has died, she wants to upgrade to a storm (vodafone).

I use a Bold and i am a little biased towards her getting a Bold as the phone has been nothing but splendid since i got it.

So whats the deal?

Is the storm full of bugs or, are these bugs i hear about small and insignificant to the average user?

Are the Storm OS updates fixing know issues or leaving them?

If you could choose would you take a fresh Bold or a fresh Storm?

I appreciate your thoughts.

05-14-09 01:03 AM
    Personally, I think that the Bold is the best Blackberry out there. I'm not a big touch screen fan in general so the Storm doesn't appeal to me. That and the fact that it isn't a real touch screen. You select the item by touching it and push the whole screen down like it's one big button.

Chris
    05-14-09 01:06 AM
    The bold is the way to go. The storm is too quirky. Un resposive, and slow for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 01:13 AM
    I own both the bold and the storm and the bold is way more solid in the os department but the storms os has gotten a lot better. It really comes down to key broad or no key broad

05-14-09 01:17 AM
    ^what Sirhil said, and I was in the same situation a few weeks ago, I gave her my storm and I'm using the bold. I enjoyed the storm, loaded with the right os it was a pretty solid device, but I like the physical keyboard of the Bold.
    05-14-09 01:31 AM
    which OS is the 'Right OS"?

this helps research.
    05-14-09 01:38 AM
    I dont think the storm with any OS can come close to the bold with .266. btw, u own a bold, so u know all about this, right? However, if its the coolness factor that counts, then the storm looks a lot sleeker for a female to use, and is not as masculine looking either.
    05-14-09 01:46 AM
    I've used both and from my experience, it's a lot more difficult for me to type on the storm and definitely a lot slower. I don't think the whole 'clicking screen' works well, at least comparing to the usual track ball anyway.
    The storm OS is slow and the accelerometer kicks in way too quickly, I actually found it quite annoying rather than useful. The worst of all is the battery life which sucks really bad. If i had the phone from morning, usually by 5-6pm, battery is low already, or sometimes even quicker than that!

I'd suggest to stick with the Bold. Either that or the Curve 8900 which'd probably suits ladies more because of the smaller size

05-14-09 01:47 AM
    my gf wanted a iStorm at first, then I let her read the storm troopers section of cb, after that she was like helll no. so she got a curve 8900 and she's very happy with it.
    05-14-09 01:50 AM
    +1 for Curve 8900 like what ninja please said

05-14-09 01:57 AM
    i love my storm i havent had any problems with it honestly only ones that ive caused myself i have a great os installed its really quick the typing is a breeze for me at first i didn't like it but now i love it....i actually had a bold prev. and went to the storm and couldn't be happier i would say it comes down to preference at this point what your girl wants.....
    05-14-09 01:58 AM
    you should convince her that the 8900 has pretty little keys for her pretty little fingers, or that the Bold has a nice bright screen to look at brad pitt pics all day and a leathery back.
    05-14-09 02:01 AM
    Being an ATT customer, I have not used the Storm. That said, I have a Bold and my wife has an iPhone (yeck). Despite the coolness factor, she keeps pleading with me to switch phones with her. My answer, you get my Bold when they pry it out of my cold, dead hand.
    05-14-09 05:53 AM
    Does she txt alot? A real keyboard is hard to beat. Typing is faster.
    05-14-09 06:04 AM
    Id of loved a bold. Just im one of these that wants the 'latest' Phone.

Storm is a little unreliable for now. Just hoping its fixed soon with the new OS.
    05-14-09 06:06 AM
    Hey Crackberry,

My Girls 8100 Pearl has died, she wants to upgrade to a storm (vodafone).

I use a Bold and i am a little biased towards her getting a Bold as the phone has been nothing but splendid since i got it.

So whats the deal?

Is the storm full of bugs or, are these bugs i hear about small and insignificant to the average user?

Are the Storm OS updates fixing know issues or leaving them?

If you could choose would you take a fresh Bold or a fresh Storm?

I appreciate your thoughts.

You ask this question in a Bold forum? Are you surprised at the responses given?

Personally, I think that the Bold is the best Blackberry out there. I'm not a big touch screen fan in general so the Storm doesn't appeal to me. That and the fact that it isn't a real touch screen.
    I understand that you're not a fan of touch screens and I can understand that, but what about the Storm's touch screen makes it "not real"?
    05-14-09 06:12 AM
    She likes the 8900.
    All thoughts of the storm have been dropped like a hot potato.
    Now.. How to find one for a reasonable price in India.

Vodafone.in want USD 562.00

05-14-09 06:55 AM
    I would say that if she prefers a real keyboard, and needs to message/email/IM, more then video/music, then get a Bold.
    05-14-09 06:57 AM
    Well you were looking for Bold and Storm users so I figured I'd put my .02 in since I am both. Well was both. I was originally with VZW and had a Storm. The OS is laggy, slow, there are a ridiculous amount of bugs. I tried all the beta OS's and while they do increase the speed they introduce new bugs or don't fix the older ones. I will say this about the Storm I like the fact that it is getting the app attention that it is. I like the progression in apps they keep getting better and more plentiful. But that wasn't enough for me to stay. I unlocked my Storm and switched to ATT who was having a free refurb Bold sale.

Now that I have the Bold I haven't even thought about my Storm. It's faster, it stable, it does everything I want it to and more. The screen is smaller but looks much much better. The full keyboard is great. Overall its just a better phone in my opinion. And I can live with out all the games and multimedia apps that they make for the Storm.

The thing that really sets in stone how I know my Bold is a better phone... upgrades. When I had the Storm I was always looking for a new upgrade to make my Storm usable. I was constantly changing the OS and always getting me hopes up only to have them destroyed over and over. I upgraded the Bold to .247 and I haven't even bothered to upgrade. Don't fix what's not broken right. .266 came out and I thought "my phone runs perfect, why mess with it"?

Get her the Bold she will be much better off with it IMHO.
    05-14-09 07:25 AM
    You ask this question in a Bold forum? Are you surprised at the responses given?

I understand that you're not a fan of touch screens and I can understand that, but what about the Storm's touch screen makes it "not real"?
    I agree with Chris on this one... From my uses of the Storm, it's not really a "touch" screen... If I could call it something it would be a "push" screen. Reason being you can't just touch something and have it work, you must push it, that's the required part...

05-14-09 09:30 AM
    For the OP... 8900 Curve. OR - Have you or she considered the Pearl Flip?

05-14-09 09:32 AM
    Well, I was a Storm user for about 6 months. The whole truth, I was wearing the storm colored glasses for that time. Updating the OS every week to try to get stability is a pain. I told myself how good the storm was, and believed it.

Finally decided to go back to the Bold, now I cant even believe I convinced myself that I liked it. It is funny to read the Storm lovers posts on how it really is a great device.

Much too flawed for me. Some people love it, some people hate it, as it is that way with everything in life.

Also, you need to pick a phone based on the service provided in your area. Not pick a service provider because it has a phone you want.
    05-14-09 10:40 AM
    Personally I'd love to have a Storm, but I shy away from anything that is the companies first attempt. You need to get both devices in her hands back to back so she can see for herself.

05-14-09 11:02 AM
    If you want a touch screen phone because its a touch screen your better off getting an iPhone or an HTC, the storm is an alright phone but the only reason the storm has sold as much as it has is because its the new phone, people love blackberry's that much that they'll grab the first new thing out and not look into the quality of the phone. Bold all the way!

05-14-09 11:14 AM
    I dont think the storm with any OS can come close to the bold with .266. btw, u own a bold, so u know all about this, right? However, if its the coolness factor that counts, then the storm looks a lot sleeker for a female to use, and is not as masculine looking either.
    I'm a bold owner and a female, just cause its a bigger BB doesn't mean its not feminine enough.
    I've owned an iphone before and didn't like the on screen keyboard, keys where too small and I have larger fingers so it made it very hard to type. I like the bold with a full keyboard that you can touch.

05-14-09 11:23 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD