Just curious about this because I am sick of hearing it. If someone could get me the number of returned Storms due to people bricking phones because of leaks I would be very grateful.

I would also like to see how much higher the initial number of returns would be if those that have upgraded could not have.

I would also like to know the percentage of Storm users that know they can use leaks to upgrade their phone on their own
    Last edited by Valace2; 05-12-09 at 10:31 PM.
    05-12-09 10:28 PM
    It costs me a little bit of hair every time I read one of these threads...
    05-12-09 11:04 PM
    +1

Thanks for saying what everyone else was thinking
    05-12-09 11:07 PM
    Just curious about this because I am sick of hearing it. If someone could get me the number of returned Storms due to people bricking phones because of leaks I would be very grateful.

I would also like to see how much higher the initial number of returns would be if those that have upgraded could not have.

I would also like to know the percentage of Storm users that know they can use leaks to upgrade their phone on their own

2%

150 Civic hairs

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 11:11 PM
    +1

Don't I always?
    05-12-09 11:13 PM
    What came first - the chicken or the egg. Is the glass half full or empty. I would imagine that cb has saved companys alot of $ in support calls they did not get due to the invaluable info. on site. Also- the free source of beta testers on here -for years- is also invaluable. Instant reports on issues and bugs...
    05-12-09 11:13 PM
    Here's another question.... How much money is it costing Microsoft when people run Windows 7? Ohhhh.... what?.... kinda puts it in perspective a little bit, doesn't it?

I find it amuzing that people return their phones when an OS doesn't work on it, but they don't return their PCs when an OS load doesn't work on them....
    05-12-09 11:18 PM
    I'm just trying to get a grip on just how much money it costs RIM/VZW/AT&T/ROGERS when a leak happens.

I get frustrated when people tell me that they would prefer leaks not happen and then cite the cost.

I know that it is almost impossible to get any of those numbers I asked for, but how can they say they with such certainty that leaks cause those companies that many problems.

Multi billion dollar companies are worried about this?? They lose that much money to this?

Come on how many Blackberry users actually update there phones as often as all of us. Then ask how many of those users brick their devices and the go crying to their carrier to fix it.

I am just trying to understand this.
    05-12-09 11:41 PM
    dude, seriously.... ok, so you load .109 or .141 or whatever on your phone and call *611 for a problem. "hi, my full qwerty keyboard on portrait...." or "i dialed *228 and i lost my data connection"

if the carrier doesn't know what os the end user is using of course it costs time and money. do you want to sit on hold for an hour because people are calling in for problems that they shouldn't even have?

PS, i love the leaks. on .141 and happy.
    05-12-09 11:48 PM
    dude, seriously.... ok, so you load .109 or .141 or whatever on your phone and call *611 for a problem. "hi, my full qwerty keyboard on portrait...." or "i dialed *228 and i lost my data connection"

if the carrier doesn't know what os the end user is using of course it costs time and money. do you want to sit on hold for an hour because people are calling in for problems that they shouldn't even have?

PS, i love the leaks. on .141 and happy.
    Then you can look even a little deeper. Of the small percenatage of the Storm population that upgrades their OS by coming here, an even smaller number don't bother to look here for a fix.

Any rep with half a brain should realize once someone mentions a portrait full qwerty they are not running an approved OS. An will inform them that they are not running software supported by Verizon. End call.

BTW I wouldn't call VZW customer support I would come here. If you go to the trouble to search for it, you will probably go one step further to find the solution.
    05-12-09 11:58 PM
    +1

So you defend the people who are saying that you shouldn't be running .141 and would have you using .75. Were you happy with .75?
    Last edited by Valace2; 05-13-09 at 12:11 AM.
    05-13-09 12:03 AM
    So you defend the people who are saying that you shouldn't be running .141 and would have you using. Were you happy with .75?
    I think what he means is we are not supposed to talk about leaks, ya know...it's a hush hush thing...they just happen accidentally
    05-13-09 12:07 AM
    I'm just trying to get a grip on just how much money it costs RIM/VZW/AT&T/ROGERS when a leak happens.

I get frustrated when people tell me that they would prefer leaks not happen and then cite the cost.

I know that it is almost impossible to get any of those numbers I asked for, but how can they say they with such certainty that leaks cause those companies that many problems.

Multi billion dollar companies are worried about this?? They lose that much money to this?

Come on how many Blackberry users actually update there phones as often as all of us. Then ask how many of those users brick their devices and the go crying to their carrier to fix it.

I am just trying to understand this.
    Nope. I'm just happy in general. Thanks for asking.

I believe you were going with "nuked" and not "bricked". As a former part of the nuclear triad I can assure you that there is a difference.
    05-13-09 12:11 AM
    I think what he means is we are not supposed to talk about leaks, ya know...it's a hush hush thing...they just happen accidentally
    I just absolutely frickin hate it when people tell me what I should or should not be using or have on my phone, and then hide behind a BS excuse like saying it costs them money.

This is a useless argument I am not going to get anywhere with it, especially not tonight. If it was that big of an issue that it affected a companies bottom line heads would roll and we would never see a leak.

an don't tell me that there is a lockdown because there isn't. So they stick a file in there to let RIM know where the file started. Its obvious that that can be compromised. I hate some of the BS that gets passed around on here.

5.0 the frickin crown jewel and that leaked weeks ago. Then tell me that there is a lockdown.
    05-13-09 12:16 AM
    ok, don't tell anyone but i have 5.0.125 on my storm right now. its good, but not what you are expecting!
    05-13-09 12:19 AM
    I just absolutely frickin hate it when people tell me what I should or should not be using or have on my phone, and then hide behind a BS excuse like saying it costs them money.

This is a useless argument I am not going to get anywhere with it, especially not tonight. If it was that big of an issue that it affected a companies bottom line heads would roll and we would never see a leak.

an don't tell me that there is a lockdown because there isn't. So they stick a file in there to let RIM know where the file started. Its obvious that that can be compromised. I hate some of the BS that gets passed around on here.

5.0 the frickin crown jewel and that leaked weeks ago. Then tell me that there is a lockdown.
    Valace, I agree with you and want this 5.0 as much as you do....but for some reason those storm people that have don't let it loose??? They got a grudge against us or something???? I don't know....but I have been searching and searching online....and no luck....
    05-13-09 12:20 AM
    Valace, I agree with you and want this 5.0 as much as you do....but for some reason those storm people that have don't let it loose??? They got a grudge against us or something???? I don't know....but I have been searching and searching online....and no luck....
    sigh that is not my point... Cept for the quicklaunch problem .141 is alright. I can't run a decent theme and the thing still gets choppy now an again but it is the best one to date.

Point is people say things on here an people take it for the gospel. They talk so highly about what RIM is doing and in the next breath talk about how all of us should be using an OS pushed out by a company that rushed this thing out of the gate.

Is it my fault for buying it? Yes it is.

Is it their responsibilityto make sure that it works right? Absolutely.

Have they done that? Absolutely not.

An to have people turn around and tell me that I should I be using that busted @$$ version that VZW "gifted" us with back in December just makes me angry.

Even Kevin himself pointed this out in his blog...
    Seriously, according to the VZW BlackBerry download site the last update for the Storm came on December 5th, 2008... that's over six months ago! Storm owners - feel free to express your frustrations in the comments -- we feel your pain -- just try and keep the four letter profanity to a minimum.

This is an old argument though... Guess we should all be grateful for their "gift" or we could all be using .65.

That is if certain people had their way an were able to prevent us from getting leaks.
    Last edited by Valace2; 05-13-09 at 12:40 AM.
    05-13-09 12:29 AM
    <-only holds grudges against valace. i know where to find what you are looking for!
    05-13-09 12:32 AM

2%

150 Civic hairs

For the record I still have "civic dots" if anyone is interested.

05-13-09 12:35 AM
    Do I wish there were not any leaks? Yea, I do. Theres no reason for them. And it makes ermmm "jobs" harder.

This is getting costly, and theres a reason for the lockdown.
    From our fearless leader.
    05-13-09 12:36 AM

ok, that was funny!
    05-13-09 12:36 AM

pulled the graveyard shift did ya?
    05-13-09 12:37 AM
    sigh that is not my point... Cept for the quicklaunch problem .141 is alright. I can't run a decent theme and the thing still gets choppy now an again but it is the best one to date.

Point is people say things on here an people take it for the gospel. They talk so highly about what RIM is doing and in the next breath talk about how all of us should be using an OS pushed out by a company that rushed this thing out of the gate.

Is it my fault for buying it? Yes it is.

Is it their responsibilityto make sure that it works right? Absolutely.

Have they done that? Absolutely not.

An to have people turn around and tell me that I should I be using that busted @$$ version that VZW "gifted" us with back in December just makes me angry.

This is an old argument though... Guess we should all be grateful for their "gift" or we could all be using .65.

That is if certain people had their way an were able to prevent us from getting leaks.
    Oh, I am with ya.....I emailed vz about visual voicemail and decided to ask about storm OS...and they replied: "the replacement new storm that you will receive has the latest software that fixes a lot of bugs" and so on...then the person says, "when a future upgrade is released, you will be able to download it at no charge" and so on....oh I wrote him back all I vented!!! I was like you call December 2008 newest? Well here is a list of bugs: reboots, slow, laggy, freezes....and I listed them...and then the "no charge" thing just threw me over the edge ....I am way more calmer now

no one wants you to have their real address....
    <-only holds grudges against valace. i know where to find what you are looking for!
    Ha ha....

Where????
    05-13-09 12:39 AM
101 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD