I have been using an iphone since the price dropped on the frist one and then i got the new one when it came out. I got board of it and wanted a new phone and i looked around and decided to switch to verizon because it was a way better deal.

Well i like the storm alot more then the iphone being able to change themes and there is alot more options on here to play around with. But it so ******* unreliable i want to throw in a toilet. Other then that this stupid accleromitor sucks. I never had any problems with my iphone. But this thing will switch to landscape if i look at it wrong. This is my biggest complaint. It actually makes it hard to use.

Other then that I love blackberrys but im thinking of returning this for a curve. What will i be downgradeing? I sometimes think i should be useing a trackball when navigateing the menus.

So i am ether going to wait for an OS from Verizon or should i get the curve? I want to wait and see if any new black berrys come out but then ill be paying full price.
    05-12-09 11:52 AM
    Do not wait on an official OS from VZW, upgrade to .132 or try one of the hybrids posted on the OS section. Lyricidal's thread has extremely easy to follow directions that are nearly fool proof. And do please remember to make a complete backup.
    05-12-09 11:57 AM
    This should probably go in rants and raves.

If you're looking for help, get a leaked OS and try that. I'm using .141 and am very happy with it. Others are using hybrids and whatnot, but someone else will have to fill you in on those because I don't really bother with them.
    05-12-09 12:13 PM
    I love my BB storm. I'm running V 122 (official release from Telus). People here swear by 141, but I haven't bothered with any other upgrades yet, so I can't speak to that.

To answer your question about the Curve.....Yes I think that would be a downgrade. I never got the whole trackball thing, it seems more intuitive to use a touchscreen, then to scroll through every single icon or link to get to the one you want??!! My co-worker just got the curve, and she'll ask me questions on how to change options/settings, so I have experience using it. I just can't stand using the curve, very frustrating.
    Plus I don't think it has a full browser, such as playing videos on YouTube, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
    05-12-09 12:34 PM
    Totally agree with Aver. I also am using .132 and it is tons better than .75. Faster typing, full Qwerty keyboard in portait, etc. It may be worth a shot before completely giving up on what you already have.
    05-12-09 12:43 PM
    I'm on .113, waiting for an official upgrade to come out.
    .113 is very stable for me. Makes the Storm a completely different animal. Download a leaked OS, you won't regret it, and might even decide to keep the dang thing.
    05-12-09 03:09 PM
    Like they said, get a hybrid OS. I'm using Lyricidal's 5.0.0.93 on top of .141 on my new Verizon Storm and it works beautifully.
    05-12-09 03:14 PM
    I'm on .141 for 9500. It's very fast. However, I heard that .122 is far more stable than this one and many downgraded after installing .141. I haven't used .122, but it could be better than .141.
    BTW, Storm got better with all OS updates, even the camera works better now!
    05-12-09 03:18 PM
    awesome, dude!
    05-12-09 03:46 PM
    Even if I had no updates past .113 I would have been quite happy.

everything since then has been a happy bonus.

There is NO reason not to update other than business arrangements
    05-12-09 03:51 PM
    three words for you geoff,

"service impacting issues"...
    the flaws we've seen on the software leaks so far have all been turned away for issues that prevent use or function of services that customers pay for. that is a big NO NO. that's asking to be sued.
    05-12-09 03:58 PM
    three words for you geoff,

"service impacting issues"...
    the flaws we've seen on the software leaks so far have all been turned away for issues that prevent use or function of services that customers pay for. that is a big NO NO. that's asking to be sued.
    That leads me to believe that Verizon's network isn't as in shape as people like to believe, since these service impacting issues don't seem to affect other carriers (at least not that I have found/heard/witnessed)
    05-12-09 04:02 PM
    That leads me to believe that Verizon's network isn't as in shape as people like to believe, since these service impacting issues don't seem to affect other carriers (at least not that I have found/heard/witnessed)
    possibly, but consider these as examples of why each carrier tests for themselves:
    -the mms issue on .113 is there, some carriers don't have mms so its moot.
    -on .141 there is a bug that causes your phone to lock up and not function if you get a phone call while tethering.

neither of them are network related issues, but idk if the services rendered with other carriers are the same as with VZW, so the difference in their options and software/hardware combos could lead to bugs that are carrier specific....
    05-12-09 04:08 PM
    Im still worried i could brick my phone by messing with the OSs can this happen?
    05-12-09 08:30 PM
    you can "nuke" your phone.

"brick" means the hardware fails, and idk if an OS load would do that, if it did it would have happened no matter what.

and you can "un-nuke" your storm just as easy as you could do anything else on it through DM, load or remove software, un-nuke, they're all pretty easy once you've done it before. if you need help lemme know and i'll I.M. you through it.
    05-12-09 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD