I was having memory leaks regardless of the os version I was using, including hybrids. I began deleting 3rd party apps, though I don't have that many. Once I deleted Poynt, the app memory stabilized, and I don't have the same leak. Has anyone else noticed that Poynt resulted in a leak. I really liked the app and had the latest version.

Does Poynt stay connected to the GPS even when it's closed using the menu?
    05-12-09 06:33 AM
    The only app that leaked memory on my device is Viigo. After I got rid of it, I only loose 11-15 MB a day and it stays around 25 +/- all day long. I do have Poynt, Weatherbug and Talklock (free ver) along with 32 other apps.
    05-12-09 06:39 AM
    For me, with Poynt installed I would lose more than 20 MB over a few hours. Without it, memory drops maybe 5 or 6 MB and remains stable.
    05-12-09 09:01 AM
    I had the same massive memory drop with Poynt. It just wasn't worth keeping on mine. It's a really cool app though, given the variance storm to storm, I urge people to try it for themselves, not just assume it will give you the same memory problems.
    05-12-09 09:03 AM
    I notice a small leak with it, but I like it too much to get rid of it
    05-12-09 09:47 AM
    Yea, if Poynt is the source of my memory leak i'll just be leakin away. Love this app and use it waaay too much...
    05-12-09 09:51 AM
    I have no memory issues with Poynt. Even with it running I don't notice a huge memory hit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 09:53 AM
    Even when I wasn't using Poynt for days at a time, memory would leak quickly, even after a battery pull. As soon as I deleted Poynt and did a battery pull, the leaking stopped. That was 2 days ago. I wonder if Poynt continuously accesses the GPS, even when closed.
    05-12-09 10:01 AM
    I Love Poynt. I have found it to be very useful. While some Storm owners may be experiencing a memory leak, I would offer an alternative answer to deleting the app.

The main culprit as far as the memory leak is the GPS. I would manually turn off GPS when not in use and turn it back on only when needed. This can be done through the options icon.
    05-12-09 10:11 AM
    Hi Folks!

Thanks for your continued interest in Poynt. Memory leaks are a major concern for BlackBerry users and we at Multiplied Media consider fixing them a topmost priority.

We have found that there can often be confusion around the issue of memory leaks. There are many factors at play, and when working through these problems, we like to try to eliminate probable causes. Here are a few possibilities that could lead to memory leaks:

1. The application is running code that requests memory and never frees it up. However, as soon as the app is closed, that memory will be freed. It is important to note that if an application is not running, it can't consume memory.

2. The application is storing data in persistence and there is no limit to the size, or the size is very large.

3. The application is making calls to BlackBerry code, such as the GPS system, and that BlackBerry code has a memory leak.

Here's what we have found in our testing with Poynt:

1. Poynt has no memory leaks in its code. RIM releases a tool called a memory profiler. With it you can see how much memory your application is using at any given time. We left Poynt running for a number of hours and compared memory snapshots. We found them to be within a few hundred bytes.

2. Poynt will store, at most, roughly 10k worth of data on the device. There are strict limits placed on the number of records that are stored so there will never be any runaway memory loss with respect to stored data. Poynt stores things like recent saved locations, recently typed search terms and favourite theatre.

3. Poynt utilizes the device's GPS system. When Poynt is open, the GPS system is running. When Poynt is closed, the GPS system is halted. When Poynt is in the background, the GPS system is left running for 2 minutes and then halted. The reason Poynt leaves the GPS system running is to conserve battery power. The GPS system consumes the most power during its startup sequence. Since users commonly leave Poynt to map listings or send an email and then return to Poynt, we want to ensure that there isn't a huge amount of battery consumption because of a GPS restart.

For brevity, we discovered a severe memory leak in the device's GPS code which resulted in an App 503 error (total device crash due to memory drain, which required a reboot). This was since rectified after we set a timeout limit on the GPS system when Poynt was sent to the background. This hasn't been an issue since version 0.9.6 of Poynt.

4. We have observed, on all the latest official OS builds in the market today, that there is no memory drain when Poynt is the only 3rd party application installed on the device. We strongly recommend that you close Poynt when finished with it, rather than throwing it into the background. This will ensure that all memory used by Poynt when it is running will be freed. You can close Poynt by backing out with the escape key, or selecting "Close" from the menu accessible by pressing the BlackBerry key.

All that being said, we consider memory leaks an issue that is of topmost priority from a support perspective. If you notice or suspect that Poynt is leaking memory, please use the feedback feature within Poynt, or email us at [email protected]
    Last edited by pwerry; 05-13-09 at 12:20 PM.
    05-13-09 12:16 PM
    Well said. Poynt has no memory leak for me and I am running 75
    05-13-09 02:16 PM
    I have not noticed a memory leak but i dont use this app that much.
    05-14-09 11:02 AM
    I just downloaded poynt a couple days ago and my phone now has a huge memory leak.

09-17-09 08:54 PM
    I have this app, and i havent noticed a leak in memory. Then again I dont use it often

09-17-09 09:19 PM
    Its the phone not the app. My wife has all the same exact apps on her tour and she starts at 111 and drops to about 100 where she levels out. I start at 35 and level out at 15....I always close my programs and she has everything open always (she doesn't know where the back button is) its just that the storm burns through memory. On a side note I see no performance differance with app mem of 35 or 10.
    POYNT IS GREAT BY THE WAY.

09-17-09 09:21 PM
    I use it all the time. No memory leak at all. Make sure you do not have a bunch of apps running.

09-17-09 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD