Hello,

I will be traveling to central america for a week and won't be using my Bb Bold for calls or data use (I will be selecting the "Off When Roaming" feature under data services).

I was just wondering, some hotels offer free wifi and wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be charged by my carrier if I hook up my Bold to the free hotel wifi. I am assuming I won't but wanted to double check.

Thanks!
    05-11-09 12:02 PM
    I don't think you will get charged. You can turn Mobile Network OFF, to make sure ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 12:13 PM
    put 'data connection disable during roaming'
    05-11-09 12:30 PM
    i have mine set to use data only when in WIFI zone and it works great free of charge
    Also in apying areas even after ur times up (ie hotel/lounge) very often the wife to ur phone will still work as it uses so little i guess
    hope this helps
    05-11-09 12:38 PM
    Thanks for the responses!
    05-11-09 12:45 PM
    Hello,

I will be traveling to central america for a week and won't be using my Bb Bold for calls or data use (I will be selecting the "Off When Roaming" feature under data services).

I was just wondering, some hotels offer free wifi and wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be charged by my carrier if I hook up my Bold to the free hotel wifi. I am assuming I won't but wanted to double check.

Thanks!
    Have data ON, Network OFF and wifi on. You will then connect to the Blackberry network through Wifi and not incur data charges. You will have full access to e-mail, browsing etc. Some apps will continue to work through wifi but GoogleSync doesn't.

The key to not incurring data charges when using Wifi is the Network setting being off and not "Data" as most people assume.
    05-11-09 12:49 PM
    Hello,

Thanks!
    I'm pretty sure "Off when roaming" disables all your data features (2G+3G+WiFi) when out of your area. Best to turn off your Mobile Network, but keep WiFi on, that way you can still access emails and such on your BIS account.

That's what I did in Europe anyway...
    05-11-09 12:50 PM
    I changed my setting to 'off when roaming', and when I went overseas, it did not connect, but wifi worked perfectly. Most of my apps worked, but a couple of them seemed to only like getting data through the phone and didn't work on wifi alone, such as eyeweather, but most worked. Email, PIN, and browsing, no issues at all.

My bold is also unlocked, and when i popped in a local sim card, that also worked perfectly, and no surprise carrier bills. Nice.
    05-11-09 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD