It does not make sense, if there are more Blackberries than Iphones out there , why aren' t there more apps for blackberry than the Iphone,(1) is it the lack of developers, (2) A stingy blackberry community/ No demand , (3) difficulty in programming, (4) Variety of Models, (5) want to maintain a business image ?

I do no understand, I am sick of not enjoying my bold to its potential, the limited games , not to mention half of them suck , even 3rd party apps the selection is poor .

Even with the software updates , the real problems never get addressed such as poor video streaming , cannot copy all contacts to sim at once, memory drains !

Sorry this rant is coming after, Knowing but not admitting to losing a phone war to my buddy's Iphone , Also we took into consideration that his Iphone had 3.0 Features
    05-10-09 04:39 PM
    OP, on that post alone it sounds like a Blackberry isn't the phone for you. I'd get an iPhone if I were you.
    05-10-09 04:43 PM
    There are a few different reasons. The Iphone is much more of a consumer oriented device than are BlackBerry's. More of a toy. The BlackBerry is used by consumers yes, but the corporate world is the vast majority of BlackBerry users. Because of this, RIM does not allow access to much to the core applications and API's within the device software. Which limits what kind of applications can be made. BlackBerry's are known for their security. You don't hear of Dev teams hacking into the BlackBerry OS as you do with the Iphone. And considering that Government officials use BlackBerry's, this security must be in place for obvious reasons. That is the main reason.
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    05-10-09 04:47 PM
    I wish that BB had better games but don't be a hater! BBs are way better than iphones in my mind. I wouldn't give my BB up for anything!!!
    05-10-09 05:08 PM
    The games are based on j2me, so there isn't going to be revolutionary games. There are a select few that are pretty good though.

As for apps, I'd have to completely disagree. There's a pretty decent selection of apps and a lot of them are really good (even free ones). This also includes the UI's.

But clearly you shouldn't have gone the BB route in the first place, which makes me wonder why you bought it.
    05-10-09 05:11 PM
    I will admit to the security reason , I totally agree.
    I need a blackberry because of my new job, it is totally amazing at email and syncing calendars and such , but that is all it is good at . Thanks for the input Cruicial Xtreme, that makes a lot of sense.
    05-10-09 05:17 PM
    There are a few different reasons. The Iphone is much more of a consumer oriented device than are BlackBerry's. More of a toy. The BlackBerry is used by consumers yes, but the corporate world is the vast majority of BlackBerry users. Because of this, RIM does not allow access to much to the core applications and API's within the device software. Which limits what kind of applications can be made. BlackBerry's are known for their security. You don't hear of Dev teams hacking into the BlackBerry OS as you do with the Iphone. And considering that Government officials use BlackBerry's, this security must be in place for obvious reasons. That is the main reason.
    Well said...and I can't add much to it.
    Personally, I don't understand why more people don't realize or remember this. Maybe I'm too much in a corporate setting and see (and hear) this on a daily basis.
    05-10-09 05:21 PM
    Give us an example of the apps you feel you need to "fully enjoy" you BB. Maybe a few of us could make some suggestions ....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 05:24 PM
    *clap* *clap*

well said, crucial_extreme.

still I'd like to see more apps for my Bold. Some decent stuff, atleast. And NOT expensive ones (the iPhone has many 99 cent apps)

...but at the end of the day i'll never give up my QWERTY for lame apps that'll I'll never use.

(what's that one app from the iphone commercial?.. a BIRD encycolpedia?.. please)
    05-10-09 05:27 PM
    Just to amplify a bit on CX's comment, I've been using a BlackBerry in a corporate environment for almost 8 years now. The overwhelming majority of my colleagues have very few if any apps on their BlackBerrys. If they do, its generally something like a navigation app. These are not folks who go for fart apps.

05-10-09 05:38 PM
    I hate it when people say the iPhone is a toy. I've only heard that here and its not a toy..

05-10-09 05:51 PM
    I can generally find whatever app I'm needing eventually and for free. sometimes it takes a little digging and at some point I'll have to pay for something I imagine but so far so good here.

I see the iPhone as a playful phone. Does lots of cool 'tricks' but I definitely prefer the security and stability I get from my blackberry.

05-10-09 06:02 PM
    you are right my friend, i am also have bb but the Storm Version and its sucks.
    everything is cost money and nogthing is works clean.
    i hate my bb i dont know why i dont bye an Iphone
    05-10-09 06:06 PM
    BB is a business machine, iPhone is only a toy... But since the world app's apparition it pretty much better!
    05-10-09 06:11 PM
    "I hate it when people say the iPhone is a toy. I've only heard that here and its not a toy.."

My daughters hate it when I call their IPhone a toy... I love my fart app...especialy at the end of 12 step meetings when were all in a circle reciting the Lords prayer...LOL...great to be old and imature!!
    05-10-09 06:22 PM
    Every time someone buys a phone (or even better an entire platform) and has no idea what they're buying it makes me want to laugh and point.

Perhaps doing 5 minutes of research before spending a few hundred and signing a contract might be a good idea.

05-10-09 07:37 PM
    Apple's App Store is probably the main reason for the IPhone's app selection. The economies of scale due to the Apple store's success makes it rather lucrative for developers to target the IPhone. This is advantage is not going to change soon. The lack of a single-store monopoly, the clunky app-store-on-a-phone approach, the lack of a desktop store browser and the high price of entry (for a developer) means RIM has an uphill battle to match Apple's success in this area.
    05-10-09 07:55 PM
    I had the Cippi the farting squirrel app for my curve. Who says bb's don't have useless apps like iphones? And let me tell you...Cippi can fart like a pro, 9 different farts and on a timer too.

05-10-09 09:27 PM
    iphone is only a toy to what u use it for, which is basically used for useless apps..im pleased more with my BB than with my previous iphone
    05-10-09 09:38 PM
    yeah the iphone has heaps of cool apps!!

unfortunately reality paints a different picture:

Just 30 percent of people who buy an iPhone application actually use it the day after it was purchased, according to Pinch Media, which analyzed over 30 million downloads from Apple's App Store. And the numbers plunge from there: after 20 days, less than 5 percent of those who downloaded an application are actively using it. The drop-off is worse for free applications.
    lol
    05-10-09 09:45 PM
    According to a poll in the NYTimes this week the target market for the
    iPhone (75% response) is for phone and media users
    Blackberry (75% response) is for phone and business/ communication

The numbers of BB applications, while not as media oriented, do have good applications for news, stocks, weather, navigation, and basic utilities. The BB is best for push email, the most important need for business users and email oriented folk. IPhone can not beat BBEnterprise applications which are the most useful for corporate needs ... OP, can they be downloaded from the Applestore for the iPhone??

As a compromise, the OP is best to use the BB for communication and phone and also have an iTouch for the media applications.
    Last edited by mandony; 05-10-09 at 10:37 PM.
    05-10-09 10:32 PM
    you should of did your research on the blackberry before buying it, to bad your unhappy with it, coming from using ppc's iphones. There are some pretty good apps however you will have to do your own research on what your needs are, if not your in the wrong place mate. good luck.
    05-11-09 01:46 AM
    Actually that sucks to be old and immature. The iPhone in a way is like an 'everything' device if you think about it, and sure there are is lot of apps that make it a toy and a lot that make is a very useful tool. Honestly I am not happy with my BlackBerry anymore. I'm switching to an iPhone and then to a nokia N97... Like james m said, its fun to be old and immature.... Well I guess that also means that you own a BlackBerry because in my opinion, I want something better. I'm just givin you all my opinion and hey, totally sorry if I offend anyone but the botton line is that about 99% of you are apple haters and iPhone haters for whatever reason.. I give everyone a chance.... Motorola, Nokia, Apple, RIM, HTC... The list goes on.. I just am not happy with my bold.. I'm already bored of it. The music player is very VERY basic. The camera, for today's standards is garbage (even though the pics do come out fairly crisp I will admit...) Apps for it are completely and utterly horrible, a small selection, and over-priced. Sometimes, (like 80% of the time for me) when I buy an app or a utility it doesn't even work properly.. And so great, I just wasted $8 bucks on a battery booster thing... Awesome. I guess that these phone are really for business use only.. But rim is trying to sdvertise to a younger market by putting out sexier more eye-candy phones... With basic features. If they knew anything about the youger market (me being 17 myself) they would know that most of us who are into mobile devices are looking for features features FEATURES and apps and good, smooth looking graphics and a slick device. Out walks the iPhone. Sorry guys. Everyone is different and to those who stand up for the iPhone here, I give you props. At least you don't hate like everyone else here. They can't just look at the iPhone for all the good it contains... They just fins evey bad thing about it or every flaw and point out why their device is better.....

Even when deep down they really want something that has as much functionallity as an iPhone
    Look... This has been the best forum site I've ever been to, hands down. Quickest responses, nicest, most helpful people who care.. But people hate here. Its ok though.
    Thanks for reading everyone (sorry for any mis-spellings or gramatical errors I'm typing really ultra fast)

Zach

(For the meantime I'm still here though )

Last edited by zachthemaster; 05-11-09 at 02:13 AM.
    05-11-09 02:06 AM
    I hate the way people look at iPhones, iPhones. Etc. I remember working at Wal-Mart and having people ask what was better, an IPod or an MP3 player. Seriously? Apple has cornered the market on those that purchase because of brand recognition. I am sure there are many smart, productive people who use iPhones. But the majority that I see buy simple because its cool, or made by Apple.

05-11-09 02:19 AM
    Lol tons of iPhone people come here and register just to hate. I wonder why that is?
    05-11-09 02:19 AM
174 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD