Hi all,
    I have a storm and curve, and have been using the curve, but am wondering how difficult it is to (semi)regularly switch back and forth between them, I want to check out the app world and such on the storm. How long does it take to call verizon and get them to change the phones, and for anyone who has done it, are there usually any problems, or does it work well most of the time? Any other feedback is appreciated.
    Thanks very much and have a nice weekend.
    05-10-09 11:18 AM
    It is actually very easy. I haven't switched between BBs but I have gone between a Windows Mobile and a BB on Verizon. Somewhere on their website you can switch phones. I think you will need to know the ESN # (or something like that) of both phones. It also doesn't cost anything if you use the website.

EDIT: it will be under you "My Account". Something like upgrade my phone or activate a new phone. Sorry that I don't know specifics but I hope this helps.
    Last edited by UnicyclistRobe; 05-10-09 at 11:49 AM.
    05-10-09 11:40 AM
    Awesome, I'll check it out and post back
    Thanks a lot
    05-10-09 11:42 AM
    Yea. Let me know. :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 12:16 PM
    You can do it on their website if you have a myverizon account but I think there might be a limit to how many times you can switch back and forth in a month I believe.

But other than that, its pretty easy, I've switched blackberrys twice )

05-10-09 01:24 PM
    *228 Option 3.
    05-10-09 01:25 PM
    *228 Option 3.
    Exactly, that's the easiest. You still have to log into the your BIS account and change your pin tho.
    05-10-09 02:01 PM
    I have changed out phones three times in the last three weeks, and I can vouch for the fact that it is easy. Additionally, Verizon customer service has always been super helpful if any problems arise. I hope that helps.
    05-10-09 05:31 PM
    *228 Option 3.
    Hate to ask the obvious, but could you elaborate more on that? Assume you are switching between two BBs as the orginal poster asked. When you dial #228 option 3, what are you prompted to do?

My concern is that I assume you will be prompted to enter the new ESN for the phone number you are calling from. That puts the phone number on that phone, but what happens when you try the other one (which now does not have a phone number assigned)?

I have done the switch online, but will say it works for me less than 50% of the time. Usually get some kind of error message, and have to call in. When I explain I tried it online first, they have never charged to make the change.
    05-10-09 07:39 PM
    Hate to ask the obvious, but could you elaborate more on that? Assume you are switching between two BBs as the orginal poster asked. When you dial #228 option 3, what are you prompted to do?

My concern is that I assume you will be prompted to enter the new ESN for the phone number you are calling from. That puts the phone number on that phone, but what happens when you try the other one (which now does not have a phone number assigned)?

I have done the switch online, but will say it works for me less than 50% of the time. Usually get some kind of error message, and have to call in. When I explain I tried it online first, they have never charged to make the change.
    You call from the phone that you want activated, it asks for the phone number in question. After you enter that, then enter in last 4 of social. Done. Just follow the directions when you call, very simple.
    05-10-09 07:45 PM
    I have been told there is no amount of times you can switch. But yes *228 is the easiest way to do it or just call verizon and they will walk you through the whole process and they are very helpful.
    05-10-09 07:57 PM

Yes I will sorry for the confusion.

You dial *228 SEND option 3 (to change your device). Tt will ask for the mobile number you want to activate this phone on and you enter it, our system will automatically pick up the ESN. The other phone will go inactive. There are reasons why it may fail and in that case a call is required.
    05-10-09 08:08 PM
    There is no limit in how many times you can do it per month, as long as the change doesn't prorate your bill (going from a blackberry plan to a premium plan or vice versa)
    05-10-09 08:08 PM
    Yes I will sorry for the confusion.

You dial *228 SEND option 3 (to change your device). Tt will ask for the mobile number you want to activate this phone on and you enter it, our system will automatically pick up the ESN. The other phone will go inactive. There are reasons why it may fail and in that case a call is required.
    You do this on the "receiving" phone? It would seem I could *228 and transfer anyone else's verizon phone number, to my phone?
    05-11-09 10:47 PM
    how does the system know what PIN to use for BB Mesenger each time you switch phones? or is it specific to each phone? (I hear kevin talk about this in the Podcasts) seems the only problem to me.

also, can this procedure be done completely mobile? I tether my BB as my internet access. so I assume I could not switch phones online if Im using one as the modem? also, I do not have a home phone - Im completely mobile.

Ive been seeing a couple Storms pop up out there for sale, I might try one used until the Tour comes out.
    05-29-09 03:06 PM
    You do this on the "receiving" phone? It would seem I could *228 and transfer anyone else's verizon phone number, to my phone?
    I just tried this and it doesn't work that way....if the phone is currently activated on someone else's line you will get a message saying that it's already activated on another number.

For example, my mom is giving me her phone so I called *228 send from the phone and entered my phone # but I got a message that it was still activated on her account therefore it didn't transfer to my number. I won't be able to switch it until she activated her old phone. Make sense?
    05-29-09 03:43 PM
    You can change the PIN yourself at any time, on the Blackberry BIS site.

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw&locale=en
    05-30-09 09:22 PM
    Hi all,
    I have a storm and curve, and have been using the curve, but am wondering how difficult it is to (semi)regularly switch back and forth between them, I want to check out the app world and such on the storm. How long does it take to call verizon and get them to change the phones, and for anyone who has done it, are there usually any problems, or does it work well most of the time? Any other feedback is appreciated.
    Thanks very much and have a nice weekend.
    I don't see where anyone else noted this... So if you're on your employer's email thru your phone, or BES, you'll have to contact your IT guy to change it over... and he's going to get really really annoyed with you after a while.
    05-31-09 11:23 AM
    The switch between an 8703 and a Storm is NOT going smoothly for me. Ah well guess I'm on the 8703 till 6am.
    06-27-09 10:59 PM
    Switching phones on a cdma carrier is a pain in the arse and should be done only as absolutely necessary. If you're doing it for fashion reasons, get another phone. If you're doing it as a replacement, go for it.

06-27-09 11:23 PM
    I keep a cheapo LG8700 around on my family share plan for the sole purpose of forwarding my 6800 number to when I'm out and won't need the data for anything. Helps to not drag my pants or shirt pocket down. =p

I don't use it often but it's worth the $120/year for the convenience for me.
    06-28-09 10:17 AM
    *228 option 3 the and your good to go i do it twice a week with no problems it will do all the work ota
    06-28-09 11:05 AM
    I tell ya.........................Very Easy.

Go to the GO button that it says next to your phone. Then to Activate phone. Then Enter the ESN from the BlackBerry your switching to and turn your current activated BlackBerry off. 1 Minute later You good to go. Call *228 on your phone and hit the prompt to program the phone. 1 more minute later and its programed successfully.

I do this with my Storm, 8330 and 8830 all the time. Never had a problem and literally takes minutes to do.
    07-08-09 10:29 PM
    I want to check out the app world and such on the storm.
    To see whats diff btwn the application and the devices or can you not get the app world on your curve. I have it on mine; works just fine... you must want to see the apps avail for the storm and not curve.
    I'm just rambling... sorry... been sick past few days.
    all good.
    07-10-09 08:55 AM
    Is it possible to keep an old Alltel dumb phone as backup for a BB. I would only switch if something happened to the BB. Thanks!
    07-15-09 06:51 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD