It's now available
    Here is the thread to the application

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ne...eather-221009/

Okay I see a lot of people complaining about the weather apps and memory leaks etc.

I thought of an idea for just a weather icon. It would be nothing more then an icon, no maps, no 10 day, no complication or anything like that. Simply set your zip code and your update interval and the icon will change based on your update time. The icon would change to display current conditions sunny, cloudy, stormy etc. The name of the icon would change to the current temperature.

This would be a small lightweight app and wouldn't leak memory or consume battery life.

I could also make it so when the icon is clicked it would open a web browser and display your weather.com page based off of your zip code.

The reason I'm charging 1$ for the app is because of the server bandwidth. Every x minutes (what ever you have it set to) your phone will contact my server and ask for the latest weather. This requires bandwidth and also takes about from the performance of the server.

I'm just wondering if anyone is interested in this or if the weather scene is already set with the big 3.
    Last edited by dmglakewood; 05-04-09 at 09:56 PM.
    05-03-09 12:25 PM
    There's already a bunch of apps that do this, and their free..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 12:26 PM
    There's already a bunch of apps that do this, and their free..

I know of 2 free ones, but they both leak memory like it's their job. There is 1 paid weather app and it's 10$.
    05-03-09 12:27 PM
    Last edited by Mayze; 05-03-09 at 03:59 PM.
    05-03-09 12:30 PM
    I'd pay a buck for that.
    Cool, I'm working on it now. It will probably be available later today / tomorrow.
    05-03-09 12:43 PM
    its a cool idea.... kinda like a launcher to your own private weatherpage right??
    05-03-09 12:44 PM
    I'd pay a dollar too!

05-03-09 12:46 PM
    Got any screenshots?
    I'm not doubting you, as I have seen your work.
    I would just like to see how it would look because weatherbug is working my nerves.

Edit: I would also pay the dollar.
    05-03-09 12:46 PM
    Not a bad idea, would work for the folks that just like to bling up their phones.

It's all the other "stuff" that I need from a weather app, so it wouldn't be of any interest to me (plus I am happy with wb - no leak on my phone)

Just be aware that folks 'round here WILL blame this app for memory leaks and battery usage regardless if it's true or not. Unfortunately that is just the way things work :-(
    05-03-09 12:47 PM
    its a cool idea.... kinda like a launcher to your own private weatherpage right??
    Kind of, but the icon will display your weather. The icon image will change to show the current conditions rainy / sunny / snowy etc. It will also display the current temperature. Once clicked on though it would be just like a launcher to your personal weather page.
    05-03-09 12:48 PM
    Kind of, but the icon will display your weather. The icon image will change to show the current conditions rainy / sunny / snowy etc. It will also display the current temperature. Once clicked on though it would be just like a launcher to your personal weather page.
    So, once it get to my own personal page will I be able to see atleast a 7 day forecast?
    05-03-09 12:52 PM
    I will have a screen shot in a few minutes.
    05-03-09 12:52 PM
    So, once it get to my own personal page will I be able to see atleast a 7 day forecast?
    Yes, well I think they have a 36 hour and a 10 day.

This is what the page would look like once the icon is clicked

The Weather Channel Mobile
    05-03-09 12:53 PM
    working your nerves!! Weather bug gets next to them in them around the nerves you name it...
    05-03-09 12:56 PM
    OK well just a question.. and let me know if this is too mcuh for $1.. is there a way to make a launcher where we can pick the browser it launches from?? i use Opera religiously and avoid the main browser when I can.. Just wondering...
    05-03-09 12:56 PM
    Looks good, go ahead and get your screenshot together.
    05-03-09 12:57 PM
    Id pay a dollar for this. I dont like WB or WE. Both leak on my phone and I only want to see the current condition. I dont need to view the radar or anything. Perfect for me
    05-03-09 01:04 PM
    Could there be an optional setting to have it use GPS to locate the zip code of the displayed weather? Or is that going down the memory leakage road?

I'll pay the dollar though.
    05-03-09 01:04 PM
    sounds like a unique App. Well, worth a $1
    05-03-09 01:07 PM
    I would definitely pay $1 dollar for that. I was just explaining to a buddy of mine who has a storm. That I love weatherbugs imply for the icon. Nothing else. I always contemplate uninstalling it, but I love the icon, which I check daily.
    05-03-09 01:24 PM
    I would definitely pay $1 dollar for that. I was just explaining to a buddy of mine who has a storm. That I love weatherbugs imply for the icon. Nothing else. I always contemplate uninstalling it, but I love the icon, which I check daily.
    Yeah, it's kinda nice to be able to see your weather at a glance.
    05-03-09 01:39 PM
    DMG's at it again! can't wait.
    05-03-09 01:45 PM
    AccuWeather does this already.

AccuWeather
    http://push.eval.blackberry.com/mss/...eather01&puid=

See if this is what you're thinking.

~X

05-03-09 01:52 PM
    If you need any beta testers, Im available!! Just in case......
    05-03-09 02:01 PM
    I'd like to put my name in the hat for beta tester as well!
    05-03-09 02:07 PM
207 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD