I am an AT&T customer and got a BB Bold the 1st week of April. I took my 8820 in and had the numbers transferred to the Bold and everything was great for a few days. Then the problems started coming and haven't stopped.

While on a call it just powered down and the red light in the upper right corner came on. It proceeded to power down then power back up. At the home screen an Error Message popped up and I had to hit OK to get through it. After about 8 error messages saying Java Error Exception it goes to the home screen. Here�s the problem! The home screen is COMPLETELY back to factory settings NO Email Accounts No Contacts!! There�s more. NO Sound or Volume Control, Half the Keys don�t function, You cant dial out as it will only read the letters not numbers and forward you to the search menu�

Its pretty much a Brick�

So I had a new Phone sent to replace the defective one. The problem is that when I had got the Refurb one from Warranty it did the exact same thing after only about 10 min of use. So then came another one and yet again the exact same issues.

After all of this AT&T decided I was lying and told me I had to take the phone up to the closest store to verify that there was actually a problem. It did it for the sales rep there and was notated on my account that the problem was occurring. At that point they sent me another phone. This time I took the Phone completely unopened to AT&T and had them activate it, they also replaced the Sim card and did not put in my memory card thinking it could be a virus�

Once again within 10 min of standing in the store it did it again while still in the AT&T reps hand.

At this point they gave me a Brand New phone off the shelf and did the same with a new Sim card and no memory card in addition to a new BB account and only 1 Business Email. This seamed to solve the problem but it was again for not. 12 hours after having it the new one had the same problem.

I have NOT
    � Downloaded any Applications
    � Downloaded any Ring Tones
    � Downloaded any Attachments
    � Have Not Connected it to a Computer
    � Have Not Searched the Internet with the on board Browser
    � Have Not Installed a Memory Card

I�m at a complete loss. AT&T will not help me in any way and says if I want a different phone I would personally have to pay for it at full retail as I�m not due an upgrade until August or this year�

Is there any way to solve this problem?????????
    05-01-09 06:14 PM
    Uhhh, no... Tell AT&T to stick it and give you whatever you want. That's BS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 06:17 PM
    Uhhh, no... Tell AT&T to stick it and give you whatever you want. That's BS.

No ****!! I spent 3.5 hours on the phone with them yesterday trying to get an iphone as I have had it with this bb bold **** they are giving me and they said no dice and there was nothing they could for me.

I love BB in general but this is just silly! I am going to port my number back to Verizon and get an 8820 until the new World Phone comes out..
    05-01-09 06:39 PM
    No ****!! I spent 3.5 hours on the phone with them yesterday trying to get an iphone as I have had it with this bb bold **** they are giving me and they said no dice and there was nothing they could for me.

I love BB in general but this is just silly! I am going to port my number back to Verizon and get an 8820 until the new World Phone comes out..
    The Storm is a world phone. You could always just update the OS to a newer one (.266) and see if it magically fixes everything.
    05-01-09 06:47 PM
    You have a choice - try the OS upgrade Papped suggests, or try to get some magic to happen. If you want magic look closely at your contract, and maybe get advice from your local consumer protection guys.

IMO you are likely to have agreed to x months service with the phone in return for a subsidy on the cost. Your supplier would have to provide a phone which works as described to meet their side of the contract. Note... you should be entitled to one fully working (for a reasonable period) New Phone. Until they have provided that you could reject all refurbs, unopened in their delivery packing.

If the supplier has never provided a fully working phone within a reasonable time you could probably have the contract declared void, or seek to enforce the contract through legal channels. However... avoid the courts if possible because the sharks will take all the money and you may die of old age before the case becomes final
    05-01-09 06:52 PM
    Updating the OS would be the last resort. I don't know why six of these phones would do the exact same thing.

If you want an iPhone, once you're ready to cancel with AT&T over the phone, the retention team might get you an iPhone for a cheaper price in order for you to stay.
    05-01-09 06:52 PM
    Oh and by the way, try not to sound angry on the phone if you call them. That will help your cause in getting what you'd like to be done quicker and smoother.
    05-01-09 06:54 PM
    Updating the OS would be the last resort. I don't know why six of these phones would do the exact same thing.
    If it's a location-based radio problem.

All the phones would be running the stock OS, which more widely has radio issues than the newer ones.
    05-01-09 06:59 PM
    If it's a location-based radio problem.

All the phones would be running the stock OS, which more widely has radio issues than the newer ones.
    I should have been more clear. I actually meant the OS update would be the last resort before giving AT&T a piece of his mind lol

I'd just update the OS. Might as well try and see if it helps.
    05-01-09 07:01 PM
    Yeah, basically with 6 devices doing the same thing, you're running around in circles because the hardware itself isn't defective (unless every Bold out there did the same thing).
    05-01-09 07:03 PM
    I should have been more clear. I actually meant the OS update would be the last resort before giving AT&T a piece of his mind lol

I'd just update the OS. Might as well try and see if it helps.
    AT&T says they don't currently recognize the .7 upgrade. I did speak with retention and they told me I had to pay 399 or 499 for an I phone and had to give them my BB which is FU**ING BS as I paid out of pocket for it and now they want another 4-500...

They pretty much have told me Tough SH*T and I had to either take another Bold or Pay for a New Phone. What dont they get??? I have had 6 and they didnt work why the **** do I want another broke Azz Bold
    05-01-09 07:10 PM
    Doesn't really matter what OS's AT&T recognizes, you can update to 4.6.0.266 anyways.
    05-01-09 07:11 PM
    AT&T says they don't currently recognize the .7 upgrade. I did speak with retention and they told me I had to pay 399 or 499 for an I phone and had to give them my BB which is FU**ING BS as I paid out of pocket for it and now they want another 4-500...

They pretty much have told me Tough SH*T and I had to either take another Bold or Pay for a New Phone. What dont they get??? I have had 6 and they didnt work why the **** do I want another broke Azz Bold
    Who cares what they recognize. There's a sticky at the top of this forum that will guide you through the process of the .266 OS.
    05-01-09 07:12 PM
    However... avoid the courts if possible because the sharks will take all the money and you may die of old age before the case becomes final
    AT&T has made sure he won't get into court because there's a mandatory binding arbitration provision in its standard contract with wireless subscribers. It does provide that AT&T pays arbitration costs (for non-frivolous claims) and will pay your attorney's fees if you prevail, but good luck prevailing. Arbitration does not generally favor the little guy.
    05-01-09 07:22 PM
    AT&T has made sure he won't get into court because there's a mandatory binding arbitration provision in its standard contract with wireless subscribers. It does provide that AT&T pays arbitration costs (for non-frivolous claims) and will pay your attorney's fees if you prevail, but good luck prevailing. Arbitration does not generally favor the little guy.
    Would be pointless anyways. I seriously doubt the Bold is actually defective, meaning you can sell it and get another phone without really paying much of anything.
    05-01-09 07:24 PM
    It's not a problem with the Phones, I had the same issue with my first blackberries, it's a problem with .167 once the software is updated the issue goes away.

I am an AT&T customer and got a BB Bold the 1st week of April. I took my 8820 in and had the numbers transferred to the Bold and everything was great for a few days. Then the problems started coming and haven't stopped.

While on a call it just powered down and the red light in the upper right corner came on. It proceeded to power down then power back up. At the home screen an Error Message popped up and I had to hit OK to get through it. After about 8 error messages saying Java Error Exception it goes to the home screen. Here�s the problem! The home screen is COMPLETELY back to factory settings NO Email Accounts No Contacts!! There�s more. NO Sound or Volume Control, Half the Keys don�t function, You cant dial out as it will only read the letters not numbers and forward you to the search menu�

Its pretty much a Brick�

So I had a new Phone sent to replace the defective one. The problem is that when I had got the Refurb one from Warranty it did the exact same thing after only about 10 min of use. So then came another one and yet again the exact same issues.

After all of this AT&T decided I was lying and told me I had to take the phone up to the closest store to verify that there was actually a problem. It did it for the sales rep there and was notated on my account that the problem was occurring. At that point they sent me another phone. This time I took the Phone completely unopened to AT&T and had them activate it, they also replaced the Sim card and did not put in my memory card thinking it could be a virus�

Once again within 10 min of standing in the store it did it again while still in the AT&T reps hand.

At this point they gave me a Brand New phone off the shelf and did the same with a new Sim card and no memory card in addition to a new BB account and only 1 Business Email. This seamed to solve the problem but it was again for not. 12 hours after having it the new one had the same problem.

I have NOT
    � Downloaded any Applications
    � Downloaded any Ring Tones
    � Downloaded any Attachments
    � Have Not Connected it to a Computer
    � Have Not Searched the Internet with the on board Browser
    � Have Not Installed a Memory Card

I�m at a complete loss. AT&T will not help me in any way and says if I want a different phone I would personally have to pay for it at full retail as I�m not due an upgrade until August or this year�

Is there any way to solve this problem?????????
    05-01-09 07:30 PM
    While on my 3.5 hour call yesterday they specifically told me that any other upgrade of software would void the warranty then make the issues my problem. Then when BB did the Webx session through the computer he notated that it had the correct software and would still be handled under warranty. He then mentioned that "Many People" are attempting to alter the factory software on AT&T Bold's and its voiding there warranty and rendering them useless!

Not sure how much of that I believe but it came straight from BB Tech Line so it must be true...
    05-01-09 07:50 PM
    While on my 3.5 hour call yesterday they specifically told me that any other upgrade of software would void the warranty then make the issues my problem. Then when BB did the Webx session through the computer he notated that it had the correct software and would still be handled under warranty. He then mentioned that "Many People" are attempting to alter the factory software on AT&T Bold's and its voiding there warranty and rendering them useless!

Not sure how much of that I believe but it came straight from BB Tech Line so it must be true...
    It's a lie even if it's true, because if you update the OS and want to claim warranty, you just roll back the OS. So again, doesn't matter what they say. Also I fail to see how they aren't already saying it's your problem anyways =P
    05-01-09 07:51 PM
    It's a lie even if it's true, because if you update the OS and want to claim warranty, you just roll back the OS. So again, doesn't matter what they say. Also I fail to see how they aren't already saying it's your problem anyways =P
    Guess you got me there on the "It's My Problem" part...

What's the scoop on that "Niagara" from Verizon? I might just un-retire my AT&T Curve until that comes out then jump to Verizon.

Thoughts??
    05-01-09 07:54 PM
    Guess you got me there on the "It's My Problem" part...

What's the scoop on that "Niagara" from Verizon? I might just un-retire my AT&T Curve until that comes out then jump to Verizon.

Thoughts??
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/96...g-room-197784/
    05-01-09 07:56 PM
    Just so you know, I just got a warranty exchange for another problem. I sent back the other phone that had another OS on it. Haven't heard anything from AT&T.
    05-01-09 07:58 PM
    It's not the sending back thats a problem but they wont let me have a different phone unless I downgrade and Loose money or Pay full price for an iPhone.
    05-01-09 08:05 PM
    Upgrade the OS...
    05-01-09 08:06 PM
    It's not the sending back thats a problem but they wont let me have a different phone unless I downgrade and Loose money or Pay full price for an iPhone.
    Upgrade the OS and if it doesn't help just downgrade the OS again.

05-01-09 08:07 PM
    I'll give it a try right now..
    05-01-09 08:16 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD