I've been struggling along with my Storm keypad for a while now, and I have to admit, I'm finding it hard..., may be my fingers are just too big..., but the amount I miss is just too much...

I was playing around with an iPhone the other day and I quite like the idea they have of the letter "jumping up" and highlighting when you touch it, so you know exactly what key you are sellecting...

Are there any 3rd party apps out there for the Storm that can do this iPhone style keypad...?
    05-01-09 08:41 AM
    The Iphone one has always seemed smaller to me...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 08:51 AM
    I think you may have a point..., but it is hard when you can't see exactly which key you are hitting as it is covered by your finger...

With the iPhone it shows you which key you are on....

If you see what I mean...
    05-01-09 08:53 AM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here (which never happens ), but last I checked the iPhone doesn't throw up the letter until you actually type it....... which if you typed the wrong letter, you've still made a mistake. Sooooo, I don't really see the benefit of it. Sure, it throws up the big letter, but if it's the wrong one, you still have to hit delete... just like on the Storm, which would show the wrong letter in the typed field. Am I missing something here? The mistake is still being made when typing on both keypads, so neither one is more beneficial in your perticular position.
    05-01-09 08:59 AM
    That would be a gd feature what u would hav to do is rip the code apart n change the ontouch for the keyboard but we can't do that.

05-01-09 09:00 AM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here (which never happens ), but last I checked the iPhone doesn't throw up the letter until you actually type it....... which if you typed the wrong letter, you've still made a mistake. Sooooo, I don't really see the benefit of it. Sure, it throws up the big letter, but if it's the wrong one, you still have to hit delete... just like on the Storm, which would show the wrong letter in the typed field. Am I missing something here? The mistake is still being made when typing on both keypads, so neither one is more beneficial in your perticular position.
    From what I gather, it doesn't 'select' until you lift your finger. So, if you hold it briefly, you see what letter you're over. If you see you're typing the wrong letter, you can slide your finger over and release over the correct letter.
    05-01-09 09:22 AM
    Try changing the way you type & how you hold the Storm, i use the tips of my thumbs & find it really easy & fast to type.

The Storm keyboard (in landscape) is much bigger than the iphones one which I found too small.

I use full qwerty in landscape for longer e-mails, messages & full qwerty in portrait for quick replies.
    05-01-09 09:31 AM
    I wondered if it was my technique...

I was watching a YouTube video the other day, and the chap was hammering along and didn't miss it once...

So, It could be me..., and my king' great fingers...
    05-01-09 09:38 AM
    I had to change my typing style slightly on the Storm from how i typed on my old Pearl & Bold

Worth trying diferent ways to see the best results.
    05-01-09 09:57 AM
    I have an iPod Touch and I think you are right. But, that very difference would make it a great improvement on the Storm. I am pretty used to the storm right now and make less mistakes than I used to, but think about it. On the iPhone it gives you a popup balloon that might be too late, on the Storm it highlights the key, you can see the color shining out around the edge of your finger but doesn't count as being typed until you then click it. So on a Storm the popup would be a great function because you would see it in time to avoid clicking and could move to another key without having to backspace!! If there were an app that could completely take over the standard QWERTY like this, I would be seriously interested.
    05-01-09 10:35 AM
    also the iphone has an auto-correct feature that blows the storm out of the water
    05-01-09 10:43 AM
    Try changing the way you type & how you hold the Storm, i use the tips of my thumbs & find it really easy & fast to type.

The Storm keyboard (in landscape) is much bigger than the iphones one which I found too small.

I use full qwerty in landscape for longer e-mails, messages & full qwerty in portrait for quick replies.
    I used to gripe about the full QWERTY in portrait because the keys were so far spaced apart yet smaller than on the iphone. The problem is gone now because I changed the way that I type. I almost always type with both hands...using the tips of my thumbs as stated in the quoted post. Works like a dream.
    05-01-09 10:57 AM
    This sounds like a job for dmg.......he did just bring us the slider! What do u ya say dmg, u up for it, assuming it can be done of course! Lol

05-01-09 11:05 AM
    also the iphone has an auto-correct feature that blows the storm out of the water

for christ sake. Who cares if the iphone has a better auto correct feature.

How about a post in this forum that doesn't have a fanboy jumping in.

I think this would be an awsome app

Peace

05-01-09 12:34 PM
    maybe you should get one :}
    05-01-09 12:37 PM
    for christ sake. Who cares if the iphone has a better auto correct feature.

How about a post in this forum that doesn't have a fanboy jumping in.

I think this would be an awsome app

Peace

um i care

just because i like one feature doesnt mean i want the entire thing

theres no fanboy in this at all

the autocorrect on apple products is amazing, and the storm would be a better phone if it had a comparable feature
    05-01-09 12:39 PM
    I cant type for crap on an iphone.

No problems on storm (unless keyboard lag messes me up)
    05-01-09 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD