I place a new Storm on Craigslist and immediately got a buyer from Colorado.

I set the specs up and they changed the agreemnt to suit them then hit me with a fake Paypal agreement that the money has been sent, but is being witheld for me to send the tracking number to verify the deal.. Rubbish.

Sellers and buyers BEWARE!!!
    04-30-09 05:28 PM
    A friend of mine sold a xbox and shipped it to Nigeria because the buyer said he would pay full price and the shipping cost. I dont know why my ******** friend sent the thing if he would have told me i definately would have realized it was a scam. And of course the guy never sent the money and he was ripped off.
    04-30-09 08:49 PM
    I got a few emails when I was trying to sell my car lol. I just laugh and forward the email addresses to the feds

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 01:34 AM
    I can't believe people actually fall for these scams still....
    05-01-09 05:21 AM

I set the specs up and they changed the agreemnt to suit them then hit me with a fake Paypal agreement that the money has been sent, but is being witheld for me to send the tracking number to verify the deal.. Rubbish.

I sell things online and I had someone from Nigeria try the same thing. He said he would buy all my items and pay for all the shipping costs, but wanted me to send it to him first. What a bunch of.. well you know.. lol
    05-01-09 05:50 AM
    I got a check in the mail for almost $4000 to be a mystery shopper. Of course they wanted me to send most of it to another mystery shopper by Moneygram to test their services out. I knew right away it was a scam. What was funny is that the very day I got the check in the mail their was a story on Dateline about this very same scam. It turns out that these scams are based in Nigeria too. They kept showing some Nigerian music video about how easy it is to scam Americans.
    05-01-09 05:57 AM
    Best way to check about any transaction your going to make online is to show the full header under the email options and plug it into an IP tracker. The last IP address shown is where it originated and an IP tracker can show where it came from. If its from Nigeria 100% its a scam. That's when it is a good time to screw with them as long as you cover your tracks with a gmail which is untraceable and use a proxy server.
    Some of those guys get mad enough to take action with hit men if you go far enough. Most are fully ******** and get scamed themselves. Check out the scambaiter. It is quite humorous how you can get them to pay for shipping on things they think they will get but only get junk. The best is getting them to take silly pictures of themselves with a bucket on their head.

Last edited by chuckz28; 05-01-09 at 07:25 AM.
    05-01-09 07:22 AM
    Best way to check about any transaction your going to make online is to show the full header under the email options and plug it into an IP tracker. The last IP address shown is where it originated and an IP tracker can show where it came from. If its from Nigeria 100% its a scam. That's when it is a good time to screw with them as long as you cover your tracks with a gmail which is untraceable and use a proxy server.
    Some of those guys get mad enough to take action with hit men if you go far enough. Most are fully ******** and get scamed themselves. Check out the scambaiter. It is quite humorous how you can get them to pay for shipping on things they think they will get but only get junk. The best is getting them to take silly pictures of themselves with a bucket on their head.

LMAO

10 char
    05-01-09 07:42 AM
    I get e-mails from these idiots from time to time. I won the lottery. They want me to e-mail my numbers to them so that they can "deposit" my money.
    05-01-09 10:18 AM
    I had a guy call me like 5 years ago saying I have been awarded some government grant. So I went along with it and the guy was like can I have your address to send the check. I figure.. okay.. no big deal. its just an address I lived at during school. Then he asks me for my checking account number.. Yea, sorry bud, you don't need that to send a check. He quickly hung up.
    05-01-09 11:38 AM
    Scammers? In Nigeria?

05-01-09 11:42 AM
    Great pic! Love it.
    05-01-09 11:45 AM
    Makes me think of the P-P-P-PowerBook reverse scam. Long story short, some people on a forum coordinated an international (between the states and england) sting to go after some guy trying to scam someone selling an Apple PowerBook laptop. They got the scammer to pay some huge amount of money for like a 3-ring binder with the crude drawing of a laptop on it and "P-P-P-P-PowerBook" written on it. The slightly scary part, is how the person who sent the "P-P-P-P-PowerBook" to this scammer was never heard from again. No one really knows what happened to the guy.
    05-01-09 12:42 PM

Local and Cash only is always my policy. If I cant punch you in the face you are not local.
    05-01-09 12:45 PM
    I will stick with eBay! LOL!
    You've got to watch out for ebay too. Before I got into scamming the scammers my wife sold a phone on ebay, and being na�ve, got an email from "paypal" saying the money was deposited. Looked real enough to her and she never bothered to check the actual account before she shipped the phone… to Nigeria. This was selling her bosses phone at work so I couldn't have told her not to be an *diot and sell to nigeria. the person sent a bogus email and got a free phone.

05-01-09 12:52 PM
    Makes me think of the P-P-P-PowerBook reverse scam. Long story short, some people on a forum coordinated an international (between the states and england) sting to go after some guy trying to scam someone selling an Apple PowerBook laptop. They got the scammer to pay some huge amount of money for like a 3-ring binder with the crude drawing of a laptop on it and "P-P-P-P-PowerBook" written on it. The slightly scary part, is how the person who sent the "P-P-P-P-PowerBook" to this scammer was never heard from again. No one really knows what happened to the guy.
    That was legendary. Beautiful artistry at its best.
    05-01-09 01:49 PM
    who still falls for this stuff....geez
    05-01-09 02:11 PM

Explanation of 419 scam
    Mugu is a term used by the scammers among themselves to describe their intended victims. Roughly translated this term mean "big fool"
    Last edited by PhatTimmy; 05-01-09 at 02:34 PM.
    05-01-09 02:29 PM
    A Nigerian scammer tried to buy a mattress and box spring from me on Craigslist and get it shipped to Nigeria. I immediately knew it was a scam because who the **** buys a used mattress long distance and I emailed back and forth with them many times before they finally realized I was messing with them.
    05-01-09 02:40 PM
    Yeah within minutes that I put something on craigslist I get a bunch of scam emails. Most of the ones I have experienced have been from live.com email accounts. And they have gotten more savvy to ask regular questions in the initial email so you can think it is a real potential buyer. I have figured out to weed the scammers out by including a real phone number to be reached at. I have another phone number that only gets voicemails so I put that in the ad and tell them to either leave a message or text me and I will get right back to them. I get a notification if someones sends a text there. Anyhow, scammers won't actually call or text. So if you specify in your ads to call or text and no emails, and they send a email, chances are it's a scammer.
    05-01-09 02:49 PM
    You've got to watch out for ebay too. Before I got into scamming the scammers my wife sold a phone on ebay, and being na�ve, got an email from "paypal" saying the money was deposited. Looked real enough to her and she never bothered to check the actual account before she shipped the phone� to Nigeria. This was selling her bosses phone at work so I couldn't have told her not to be an *diot and sell to nigeria. the person sent a bogus email and got a free phone.

Yeah that's why you have to make sure the funds have cleared before you ship. When I sell something on ebay, I tell the buyer, item will be remitted once funds clear. Because someone can send an echeck as payment and then rush you to send the item. They take 3-5 days to clear. One guy tried to file a complaint because he paid via echeck and wanted me to ship the next day after he paid. Needless to say he loss and had to wait til the funds cleared for me to ship it.

Paypal has tried to do some different things lately by holding the payment for a couple days so the buyer can't reverse the transaction or send a payment from an insufficent source and so sellers can't withdraw the money until the buyer has received the item or received good feedback.
    05-01-09 02:56 PM
    Local and Cash only is always my policy. If I cant punch you in the face you are not local.
    Somebody on craigslist actually asked me if we could set up a payment plan for an item I was selling.

I was like dude, "what is your incentive to pay me anymore money if I give you the item being as though we don't know each other". Never heard from him again. WTF is wrong with people?
    05-01-09 02:59 PM
    Yeah within minutes that I put something on craigslist I get a bunch of scam emails. Most of the ones I have experienced have been from live.com email accounts. And they have gotten more savvy to ask regular questions in the initial email so you can think it is a real potential buyer. I have figured out to weed the scammers out by including a real phone number to be reached at. I have another phone number that only gets voicemails so I put that in the ad and tell them to either leave a message or text me and I will get right back to them. I get a notification if someones sends a text there. Anyhow, scammers won't actually call or text. So if you specify in your ads to call or text and no emails, and they send a email, chances are it's a scammer.
    A lot of them now are requesting phone numbers. They think they can talk you into it easier because usually the emails they send are generalized to work for anyone. They don't know who they send what because so much goes out. Their name will change and things like this. What us scam baiters do is set up a free online phone number from a state that allows it making it untraceable. But playing dumb on the phone is a little harder than doing it online so this is for the more advanced scam baiters, especially since these ones are generally from other European countries where they are smarter/harder to screw with.

05-01-09 03:18 PM
    Maybe he got sick with the swine flu and couldn't respond?
    Somebody on craigslist actually asked me if we could set up a payment plan for an item I was selling.

I was like dude, "what is your incentive to pay me anymore money if I give you the item being as though we don't know each other". Never heard from him again. WTF is wrong with people?
    05-01-09 03:21 PM
    I've had this happen several times but I've never fallen for it. It's actually kind of amusing that anyone falls for these but deep down I feel bad for those who do.
    05-03-09 04:54 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD