Well on April 2nd I finally picked up a Seidio Innocase Surface II after reading all the rave reviews... I am EXTREMELY particular when it comes to my electronics... Every phone I have ever had, after using it between 8 months to a 1.5 years, I have always been able to sell them for top dollar since I take extreme care of them... I pride myself on not having a scratch on them... I never use them without a screen protector minimum...

This time around, just with what I know of chrome on plastic, I did not even use my 8900 without a screen protector AND a silicone gel skin... On April 2nd, I picked up the Seidio Innocase II... I gently wiped down my MINT condition 8900 and committed it to it's new AND EVEN SAFER case... The reason I chose the Seidio Innocase II was the great reviews it was receiving and the fact that it was a hard case... (More protection so I thought)...

As usual, I would gently remove the case and wipe it down every few days, as I don't like lint collecting around the holes screen etc... The time before last, I was wiping it down before going to sleep, I noticed there was a "lighter" area in front of the headphone jack area... I thought maybe it's just the lighting in my room, placed it back into the Seidio Innocase II, and went to sleep...

A couple days later, I removed the case to wipe it down again, this time I was in my office which is brightly lit... I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES! The area which was lighter in color, WAS ACTUALLY WHERE THE SEIDIO INNOCASE WORE THROUGH THE CHORME ON THE BEZEL!!!

I have never had a phone look so beat on... Not only have I had bad bad bad customer service with Seidio before, but now this??? I had read 1 day after getting my Innocase about someone having a similar issue... I had asked for them to elaborate on what had happened, but the thread died before they responded...

I feel like I purchased the finest Helmet money can buy for my own safety, and suffering a massive head injury from the helmet itself, with no cause other than the very piece of equipment designed for my safety...

The outside of my Seidio Innocase II is in perfect condition... This reinforces my feeling that had I not even used this case, there would be absolutely no damage to my phone... EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED...

I am posting pics as to alert people what to look for... It started as an area getting slightly lighter in color, and then very quickly, it will go through... When I look on the backside of my Innocase, I can see where it was rubbing... Also there are other VERY SMALL areas which were suffering the same... They appear to be small dots, or very light lines going vertically, but just over this short period of time the hard plastic on the Innocase wore the areas...

Note: Although it appears the damage goes up and down (Sliding along the sided of the bezel, it in reality goes horizontally (left to right)... The appearance of lines are just the variences in the material on the curved edge of the bezel...

I really don't know what to do at this point... It may sound like I'm over-reacting, but I can't stand how beat on my prized 8900 looks now...

04-29-09 12:09 PM
    Seidio = over rated.

.99 cent silicon = works fine.

Lint?

No problem.

Sorry your cheap chrome paint rubbed off.

Get a BSE and a cheap silicon case.

Done.
    04-29-09 12:18 PM
    imagine how bad it would of looked with no case at all, think positive
    04-29-09 12:27 PM
    When my husband put a bra on his Porchse the bra tore away at his paint...caused fading, etc.

Same kind of issue, eh?

04-29-09 01:02 PM
    You can replace the "body" of the phone search the forum for "bezel" replacement.
    04-29-09 01:08 PM
    And do not try and put a innocase on if you have a full body BSE or IS. The case will just stick to the protector on the battery. I almost couldnt get the innocase off.
    04-29-09 01:22 PM
    And do not try and put a innocase on if you have a full body BSE or IS. The case will just stick to the protector on the battery. I almost couldnt get the innocase off.
    This is why I ditched the Seidio.

Too little coverage, no BSE = over rated, expensive unnecessary case.

Its not that great, sorry.

I used an 8100 for 2 years with the same TMO case.

I've had the 8900 for 4 months with the same TMO case.

I'm happy.

And horney ...

LOL

JK
    04-29-09 01:31 PM
    You probably needed a clear bra put on (cleanest look, without that black thing over the front) and it still protects from the outdoor things (rocks, bird crap, etc.)

Thanks for the post, I was seriously about to purchase one until I saw that
    Eh, his problem not mine.

Are clear bras removable? Like a BSE?

04-29-09 01:32 PM
    This is why I ditched the Seidio.

Too little coverage, no BSE = over rated, expensive unnecessary case.

Its not that great, sorry.

I used an 8100 for 2 years with the same TMO case.

I've had the 8900 for 4 months with the same TMO case.

I'm happy.

And horney ...

LOL

JK
    JK about what exactly?

i have the Innocase and do not see those marks..... I do have the black bezel and people are complaining about the chrome rubbing off and chipping off.... to bad they didn't just go with black
    04-29-09 01:37 PM
    I believe they are removable by the company, you should google it and take a look. But they are wayyy better than that leather cover stuff that you do yourself or buy at a store. The plastic is so tight fit it's like a skin. The store will put it on, not yourself since it needs to stick to the actual are like how your skin sticks around your body =P.
    They are actually clear tint like material, it is removable....

Clear Bra - Car Care - Motor Trend
    04-29-09 01:40 PM
    JK about what exactly?

i have the Innocase and do not see those marks..... I do have the black bezel and people are complaining about the chrome rubbing off and chipping off.... to bad they didn't just go with black
    I see it being pointless to have a black bezel if you use the innocase IMHO. I have the silver bezel and almost cant even see it. My 8900 pretty much looks blacked out with the black innocase.
    04-29-09 01:41 PM
    She likes to run around naked sometimes..... and you can "almost: not see the crome (I did the black bezel before I had the innocase)

Plus when it is time to upgrade I can put a clean chrome bezel back on.....

BTW....OP i am sorry this happened to you, but you can buy a new bezel and replace it either now (will void warranty) or later for resale.
    04-29-09 01:47 PM
    She likes to run around naked sometimes..... and you can "almost: not see the crome (I did the black bezel before I had the innocase)

Plus when it is time to upgrade I can put a clean chrome bezel back on.....

BTW....OP i am sorry this happened to you, but you can buy a new bezel and replace it either now (will void warranty) or later for resale.
    Thats gave me a good laugh.
    04-29-09 01:49 PM
    That's too bad, not what you expect with a case like that at all. In retrospect any hard plastic case that fits really tight like a Seidio has the potential to rub the surface. I guess there's not any lining for that case. Their claim to fame is the thinness/1 mm thing after all. I wouldn't be happy getting it scratched and paying about $38 with shipping. That's what I paid for a custom leather case with 2 patterns/colors and a magnetic flap over the front.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 04-29-09 at 01:51 PM.
    04-29-09 01:49 PM
    I told my wife to get a clear bra....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 02:28 PM
    What a bummer on those scuffs! Good thing I never bought that case. I'm rocking the IS with a nice fitted Condom; Looks Mint!...
    @Risingsun; you should get a new Bezel..
    Last edited by impalass96; 04-29-09 at 02:43 PM.
    04-29-09 02:29 PM
    One of the reasons I went with the CaseMate carbon fiber leather case.
    04-29-09 02:29 PM
    JK about what exactly?

The black could do the same thing. They use the same process for chrome black chrome, or colored chrome on plastic.
    04-29-09 02:42 PM
    The black could do the same thing. They use the same process for chrome black chrome, or colored chrome on plastic.
    Well, technically the paint technique, paint type and amount of clear coat could be different... Hard to say or determine any of that though.
    04-29-09 02:47 PM
    nah they dont clear these. There was a technique developed to "chrome dip" plastic similar to how they do with metal. I think that is the technique they are using.(it looks the most like real metal chrome) That is why the black looks like black chrome and not matte black or jet black. Also why the red berry on here looks like red chrome.
    04-29-09 02:58 PM
    Ah I was figuring any random 3rd party bezel.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 03:07 PM
    I have the innocase II and the 360 - no scratch marks from either case. these cases have protected my 8900 from major falls without leaving mark on the phone itself.
    04-29-09 03:20 PM
    I understand the suggestions of changing the bezel, but I really didn't want to void my waranty... It's really disapointing when a product which is supposed to preserve the finish, is the very thing that destroys it... To lose my waranty now simply to get it back to the way it was prior just somehow feels as if I lost even more... It's nice that Seidio protects the battery door with nice felt... No scratches there... I'd have no problem if that got scratched up cause I can replace that with no problem...

I'm seriously bummed on this one... It's like being punished for trying to do the right thing...
    04-29-09 03:25 PM
    same thing happened to my storm. there is one area that the innocase moves a bit, and right there it wore off the chrome.
    04-29-09 03:47 PM
    I understand the suggestions of changing the bezel, but I really didn't want to void my waranty... It's really disapointing when a product which is supposed to preserve the finish, is the very thing that destroys it... To lose my waranty now simply to get it back to the way it was prior just somehow feels as if I lost even more... It's nice that Seidio protects the battery door with nice felt... No scratches there... I'd have no problem if that got scratched up cause I can replace that with no problem...

I'm seriously bummed on this one... It's like being punished for trying to do the right thing...
    You can possibly do the insurance route and trying to get replacement from the carrier, ie. your Qwerty stopped working etc...you know some BS to have them send you a replacement (Hopefully a new one)... Just an Idea.
    04-29-09 05:18 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD