My cousin is being deployed on May 1st for a 6 month tour in Iraq. I've heard that the Verizon Storm (9530) is a world phone and should work there.

I'm getting conflicting stories from the VZW reps here...so I figured I'd ask the experts that might have been over there with one of these phones.

1.) Does it work?
    2.) Can you get a text/data/voice package here in the states that works there to call back here, or are there additional charges?
    3.) What, if anything, needs to be asked for when we go to the store?

Thanks for any help!!
    Shayne
    04-29-09 10:19 AM
    Basically the phone works on the vodophone network (verizon world partner). If vodophone is in Iraq, then yes, you can get text/data/voice. It's not cheap, but you can do it.

The other option is to unlock the phone (search, you will find it). Then you can pop in any SIM card for pretty much any carrier and get the phone portion to work. Data/text is a little bit more tricky, but it can be done.
    04-29-09 10:29 AM
    He will not be able to use his phone there most likely, I was told that it wouldn't be acceptable even if it is possible. Iridium, satellite and base phones are about all that can be used.

Don't forget the Storm does still have GPS in it and even though Verizon has it locked down, it is not entirely secure. RIM standards are high, but DoD isn't usually about taking those chances (no matter how slim it would be)

If I get any work to the contrary I'll be sure to put it up.

oh but to answer your question, there are cellular networks, they are mostly GSM but coverage can be spotty at best. Would need to unlock the storm and buy a LOCAL (much less expensive) SIM card. If your cousin is going to do it he should definitely check higher up before doing this.
    Last edited by chadec; 04-29-09 at 10:43 AM. Reason: actually answering OP's ?
    04-29-09 10:36 AM
    One thing to add... I just left there last sept and cell phones were not allowed for use in iraq by us service members for various reason. People that were getting caught using them got in trouble. It is a security issue and I would just tell him to make sure personal cellphones are authorized for use where he is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 10:38 AM
    There was a similar thread here a while back, which provided the same guidance. However, similar OPSEC concerns were voiced in that thread. Perhaps a check with troops previously deployed to the region or someone up the chain would be prudent.
    04-29-09 10:40 AM
    One thing to add... I just left there last sept and cell phones were not allowed for use in iraq by us service members for various reason. People that were getting caught using them got in trouble. It is a security issue and I would just tell him to make sure personal cellphones are authorized for use where he is.
    This would be news to me...

I have been there twice and the last time I was there, people were using cell phones all the time.

Some FOBs will sell SIM cards that you can use for your phone, but like previously said, the air charges are expensive! Also, if you are too unsure, tell your cousin that if he asks around at the FOB he gets stationed at, I am sure he can find an Iraqinet phone that any out-going soldier would be will to sell (my roommate that I had when I was there bought one when we arrived and resold it when we left).

I am not sure if they will have a SIM card that will work for the BB beacuse it wasn't available when I was there.
    04-29-09 10:46 AM
    yes...i ave a storm and currently use it just as i always have. I unlocked my phone and got a hadji simcard and it works great. i also use tetherberry on a regular basis whenever i cant get wifi on my laptop. I am not sure of where he will be stationed though. he needs to ask his chain of command to be sure. and yes, there is vodaphone service in iraq. you can get a world package from verizon/vodaphone
    Last edited by armychris28210; 04-29-09 at 11:00 AM. Reason: update
    04-29-09 10:59 AM
    Alright, now sure where some of these people are getting their sources, but my family owns a firm in Northern Iraq. When I visited this past December, I was able to utilize the phone, that is after it was unlocked and utilized a sim-card (which almost everyone I know has one).

Though I would suggest trying to take it easy on data usage and calls, as some going rates are ridiculously.

By the time I was back to the states, spending most of my time in Iraq and a bit in London, I ran up a $700 bill.
    04-29-09 11:36 AM
    As a Storm user who has a brother in the military, who also has a Storm, I do NOT reccommend it.
    I think the phone is great, but I have plenty of time to slowly type on the touch screen, and I work and live somewhere that has very little sand and dust, and never wear gloves of any kind.

I think that if you must have an email device, choose a Blackberry with physical buttons and something without a touchscreen. Just less to go wrong.
    04-29-09 11:58 AM
    My cousin is being deployed on May 1st for a 6 month tour in Iraq. I've heard that the Verizon Storm (9530) is a world phone and should work there.

I'm getting conflicting stories from the VZW reps here...so I figured I'd ask the experts that might have been over there with one of these phones.

1.) Does it work?
    2.) Can you get a text/data/voice package here in the states that works there to call back here, or are there additional charges?
    3.) What, if anything, needs to be asked for when we go to the store?

Thanks for any help!!
    Shayne
    My BF was in iraq for a while. I hear there are places where you cannot have cell phones, but he could. He bought a Iraq cheap cell phone plan. He had his iPhone with him but even unlocked the usage charges were rough.

My recommendation is not to even bring the Storm, with the amount of dust it will be exposed to it wouldn't be worth it to me. Its much cheaper to buy a throw away phone from someone leaving or just sell it when you leave.

We found that skype worked the best for us. I was even able to call his phone from my cell phone thru skype (they give you a local # to call on your phone and it connects you to a pre-set contact). This way was by far the cheapest we found... around $0.35 a min from me to him. Skype from computer to computer is FREE and if you have a webcam its great!

I know his rate for calling was around $1.50 a min and text were like $1 each. Ouch!!

Just my two cents.
    04-29-09 12:03 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll tell him to wait until he gets over there. He is taking a laptop with a built-in webcam...so maybe Skype will be the way to go.

Thanks again!!
    Shayne
    04-29-09 03:24 PM
    I had no problem with my iraqna cell phone while I was over there. But that was back in 04. A lot has changed since then.

04-29-09 04:21 PM
    1. I wouldn't take this phone any where near sand... we have enough trouble keeping dust out of it...
    simple solution to the sand and dust... OtterBox! makes the storm damn near bomb proof... and seals it up pretty well...
    04-29-09 04:22 PM
    I had a sale over the phone to a gentleman who was serving in Afghanistan at the time. I advised him of the spotty coverage, but he wanted the phone anyway. I set everything up for him on the Global Data Pan, advised him that he should NOT use if for voice as it was $2.49/min.
    I also set his gf up in a curve and set up their BBM for them to avoid international texting charges.

He has BBM'd me from Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait, so it will definitely work.

If he has to make voice calls on it, definitely unlock it, buy a local SIM card and swap them out between calls and data.
    05-03-09 01:48 PM
    I had a sale over the phone to a gentleman who was serving in Afghanistan at the time. I advised him of the spotty coverage, but he wanted the phone anyway. I set everything up for him on the Global Data Pan, advised him that he should NOT use if for voice as it was $2.49/min.
    I also set his gf up in a curve and set up their BBM for them to avoid international texting charges.

If he has to make voice calls on it, definitely unlock it, buy a local SIM card and swap them out between calls and data.
    What is the price for Global Data? Is there a per mb charge or is it unlim data per month? Is it on CDMA or GSM?
    05-03-09 02:16 PM

This is genius. I didn't even think of using BBM (duh)! Well done!!
    05-03-09 02:57 PM
    Keep this thread on topic please. Thanks!
    05-03-09 05:34 PM
    +1 on the don't even take it there. Dust is a MASSIVE issue. Otterbox or no. So not worth it.

+1 to Skype. Worked awesome (and cheap) for my wife and I when I was there.

As far as being permitted to use the cell phones or not, I believe it is a decision being made by individual Commands.

05-03-09 05:44 PM
    Where would you get internet on your notebook? Do they have wireless hotspots? I don't remember them having one at the base I went to back in 05 but it's been a while so a lot of things can change.
    05-03-09 05:59 PM
    I was there in 05 and I used an old nokia that was on the iraqna network. Worked fine for me all year. I would NOT recommend bringing a phone like the storm there. Maybe a beefy nextel type phone but not the storm. Have him just buy a cheap Iraqna phone when he gets there. The best route IMO
    05-03-09 06:01 PM
    why was my post deleted?
    05-03-09 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD