Okay, so I'm traveling abroad for an independent research topic, and I will be spending 3 weeks in the Dominican Republic.

Using the Curve 8900, if I connected to a wi-fi network in the Dominican, would I automatically be connected to Rogers? I thought it might only work with a Rogers Home Internet connection, but it also works in Thunder Bay (Ontario, Canada) using Tbay Tel internet.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas? It would seem ridiculous if it did work..
    04-28-09 05:16 PM
    If Rogers is anything like t-mobile then it may be something like this.. I work for T-Mobile and was talking to the RIM rep during a training on the 8900.. He told us a story about how his family took a vacation on a cruise.. I don't remember what island they were on but he said his wife would go down to the docks where she found that one of the boats or venders had a wireless network set up with no encryptions, so his wife would go down a couple times a day and use her phone over UMA to call the US for free.. So if Rogers is anything like T-Mo, hopefully this will help you.. If not sorry I tried..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 07:48 PM
    As far as I have heard Rogers blocks International IPs so you are basically out of luck unfortunately.

04-28-09 09:36 PM
    That sucks

04-29-09 08:24 AM
    I was recently in Mexico and my hotel lobby had free Wifi - i was able to connect and call the US via UMA no problem and there were no charges on my bill.
    04-29-09 10:30 AM
    It's absolute. Using a T-Mobile USA SIM, using UMA anywhere in the world, the rates are as if you are in the USA. (and in fact unlimited to/from and in USA as well, no matter where you are, on UMA, if you're subscribed to the @Home service.)
    04-29-09 11:16 PM
    That's why I've been using T-Mobile.

04-29-09 11:34 PM
    With UMA, it will also allow you to receive emails, MSN messengers and more. Most of these, especially receiving emails, will not be support with regular WiFi connection without SIM card and UMA.
    04-30-09 01:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD