Yeah, I'm an *****, and I of course don't have insurance. So, I dried it out the best I can, and threw the battery in there. The LED came on, and the hard buttons lit up, but the screen never did anything. I put the phone and the battery in rice overnight, and this morning when I tried, it seemed to boot up normally (I think) and at some times the screen flickered on and off, and I could see my normal home screen. I also believe I received some emails and/or texts at that time. i could see the message indicators when the screen flickered on, and the phone was vibrating as if receiving messages. Should I be encouraged? Is there anything else I can do? What exactly does the water damage indicator look like? Thanks for any help. I'm mostly just venting. Wish me luck.
    04-28-09 10:04 AM
    good luck....
    04-28-09 10:07 AM
    ****ter - 50 Storm - 0

All you can do is let it dry 100% and hope that there is no damage. Since you don't have insurance and your warranty is now screwed you can open her up and clean it with rubbing alcohol.
    04-28-09 10:08 AM
    The water damage indicator is a small sticker on the batt and on the phone usually under the batt.

I think its supposed to be pink and white, and when it gets wet its totally pink (or maybe totally white, not 100%).

other then leave it totally unpowered no batt on a heater or in the rice for at least 24 hrs, there's not much else you can do...

Good luck...
    04-28-09 10:10 AM
    You can buy a new one for $270 if the phone needs to be replaced which is a **** of a lot better than the $499 full retail price.
    04-28-09 10:37 AM
    You can buy a new one for $270 if the phone needs to be replaced which is a **** of a lot better than the $499 full retail price.
    Where can I do that?
    04-28-09 10:38 AM
    was it pre or post flush?
    04-28-09 10:40 AM
    was it pre or post flush?
    It was before ANY business had been transacted.
    04-28-09 10:43 AM
    That is my biggest fear. Bummer
    04-28-09 10:46 AM
    It was before ANY business had been transacted.
    Too bad. It might have enjoyed the company with similar attributes.
    04-28-09 10:47 AM
    It still boggles my mind how MANY people this happens to. How, exactly, does this manage to happen? If I'm standing, I ain't holdin' my BlackBerry. If I'm sitting, it would take either concerted effort or a VERY lucky shot to drop it in the bowl, and I keep it pretty high up close to my chest. Silicon skin FTW.
    04-28-09 10:50 AM
    I was standing, with the phone on the counter next to the toiler, but I had headphones on. I swung my arm, and hit the headphones wire, and it fell in. Does anybody know what the poster was referring to when he said a new Storm could be bought for $279?
    04-28-09 10:53 AM
    Where can I do that?
    Any corporate VZW store. Its the 1 year lost/stolen program that Verizon extends to customers who damage their phones beyond repair and who do not have insurance. Its standard policy. the 1 year price on a storm is $270.
    04-28-09 10:54 AM
    Sounds like you're doing aqll the right stuff, just not waiting long enough. Leave it in the rice a bit longer, roll it around to get any water that may have puddled up in any places, etc. Maybe a fan and position changes also. One thing I have seen many people do is to leave something like that to air dry in one position. Often when they pick it up the remaining water moves around and then they impatiently try the power again and fry it.

Good Luck.
    04-28-09 10:54 AM
    Any corporate VZW store. Its the 1 year lost/stolen program that Verizon extends to customers who damage their phones beyond repair and who do not have insurance. Its standard policy. the 1 year price on a storm is $270.
    Really? Has anybody else heard of that? I hope you are right. Thanks for the info.
    04-28-09 10:57 AM
    Update: I just put the battery in, and the screen came on and the phone appeared to boot as normal, but when I tried to touch the screen, or click the screen, it started to reboot again. The time was correct on the phone, and I definitely had an email. I guess that's a step in the right direction. I could definitely see some moisture under the screen, so I have it under a fan now. My buddy has this exact same thing happen when he dropped his Storm in his dog's bowl, so hopefully I will get as lucky.
    04-28-09 11:16 AM
    when I tried to touch the screen, or click the screen, it started to reboot again.
    Wow back to normal!!!

Seriously, if you want the thing to live (and think carefully about that) you need to just leave it off until you are certain it is dry. If its warm outside you might leave it in the sun. Turn it off and leave it off until tomorrow. It sounds like it might be OK right now, but messing with it with moisture is a sure way to kill it.
    04-28-09 11:29 AM
    Wow back to normal!!!

Seriously, if you want the thing to live (and think carefully about that) you need to just leave it off until you are certain it is dry. If its warm outside you might leave it in the sun. Turn it off and leave it off until tomorrow. It sounds like it might be OK right now, but messing with it with moisture is a sure way to kill it.
    You are probably right, but I'm being impatient. I just tried again, and I was able to highlight icons when touching the screen, but when I tried to click the screen it rebooted.
    04-28-09 11:42 AM
    Wow back to normal!!!

Amen!!! Sounds like you are having progress in the right direction, but each time you start it back up to check it out you are risking that one fatal short that fries it out for good. Open it all you can, give it all the warm moving air you can, move it to different positions often, and BE PATIENT!
    04-28-09 11:44 AM
    Pull the batt and do not try and charge or power on the phone. Put it in a big zip lock bag filled with white rice and put outside where its warm, but not in direct sunlight. Let it sit for the rest of the day. Take it in tonight and let it sit on the counter till tomorrow evening. Do not open the bag till tomorrow night. The rice will pull the moisture out of the phone. Google it, it workes.

You may be ok. The water is not what messes up things its the other particals in the water mixed with electricity. For example, distilled water does not conduct electricity.

I have deep sixed a few phones and the only one I have not been able to save was my pearl. The pearl however went through the wash on heavy load, lots of detergent and fabric softener, with an extra rince cycle. I also called it several times looking for the phone so it was powered on and active till the end.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Thalinor; 04-28-09 at 11:49 AM.
    04-28-09 11:47 AM
    Another thing to consider is that just because you "dry it out," doesn't mean that it will still work. As the moisture "dries" from the board, that is when corrosion can set in on the metal connections inside. It may very well work for a little bit, but after a while things will start go.
    04-28-09 12:01 PM
    At least is was before anything was done. In the days of pagers long ago, mine went in AFTER a lot had been done. Talk about mixed emotions. It dried up and worked fine but that was so gross!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 12:12 PM
    You need to rice bowl that sucker for another day or two. You keep rebootimg and forcing it you're gonna fry it. Patience.

04-28-09 12:16 PM

You may be ok. The water is not what messes up things its the other particals in the water mixed with electricity. For example, distilled water does not conduct electricity.
    Another reason to have a water filter on the toilet....sorry but I don't take my phone to the pottie.

04-28-09 12:29 PM
    Well that's where your money went when you bought the Storm. See the symbolism.
    04-28-09 01:03 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD