I had a good idea for an application that would automatically enable/disable GPS depending on if a running app needs GPS function. I usually leave GPS off to save battery unless I want to use Google maps, Trapster, Where etc...then I have to manually enable GPS while I'm using the programs, and disable GPS when I'm done. Wouldn't it be nice if the phone automatically did this?
    04-27-09 08:15 PM
    This is a great idea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 08:24 PM
    Folks here mentioned that GPS is actually only active when an app requests it, that turning on GPS alone (without any apps using GPS running) should not affect battery life.
    04-27-09 08:46 PM
    Would this be possible with bluetooth? Could be a stupid question, sorry.
    04-27-09 08:49 PM
    Folks here mentioned that GPS is actually only active when an app requests it, that turning on GPS alone (without any apps using GPS running) should not affect battery life.
    I have heard this as well but for one reason or another I consistently get better battery life if I have GPS disabled.
    04-27-09 08:58 PM
    Even having an app that would turn GPS on/off with the click of a button would be better than navigating to the GPS options menu. I don't think this would be very hard.
    04-27-09 09:01 PM
    Would this be possible with bluetooth? Could be a stupid question, sorry.
    I don't fully understand your question, can you give some more details?

As for the GPS, I leave it on all the time, and I rarely use any apps that need it. My bettery life would probably be better but I get through the whole day with a single full charge in the morning, still, I think there would be use for an app like this.
    04-27-09 09:30 PM
    I posted this request last week and was told it wasn't possible.
    04-27-09 09:33 PM
    Even having an app that would turn GPS on/off with the click of a button would be better than navigating to the GPS options menu. I don't think this would be very hard.
    You mean like assigning it to one of the hardware buttons so it functions sort of like a wifi switch on a laptop?
    04-27-09 09:35 PM
    I posted this request last week and was told it wasn't possible.
    It might not be, wouldn't it somehow have to be able to interact with every GPS enabled app out there? Seems to me that if RIM devices use such a strict security model in the OS, such interaction between a background app and a 3rd party app might not be possible. Note when you're setting application permissions, the permissions pertain to allowing the app to interact with the devices various functions, not other apps.
    04-27-09 09:37 PM
    As has been mentioned this is unnecessary.

If nothing calls on the GPS, it does not use appreciable battery/memory.
    04-27-09 09:37 PM

Can you back this claim up?
    04-27-09 09:39 PM
    You mean like assigning it to one of the hardware buttons so it functions sort of like a wifi switch on a laptop?
    Ideally everything would be automatic such that once set up, the application would know when GPS needs to be turned on if an application requests access, and turn GPS off when no applications are using it.

I then was thinking about an easier way to do this because I figured automation of this process could be difficult. So I thought it would be nice to have an Icon on my home screen that when clicked, would toggle GPS on/off instead of having to navigate to the GPS options menu.
    04-27-09 09:41 PM
    Quoted for the truth. If there is no active software polling the GPS, the GPS is not active and not draining battery power.
    04-27-09 09:42 PM

If this is true, I still think it would be nice to have a quick and easy way to enable/disable GPS on a global level from the home screen or even through the BB menu button. I just hate having to go in to the options to change GPS settings!
    04-27-09 09:44 PM
    If this is true, I still think it would be nice to have a quick and easy way to enable/disable GPS on a global level from the home screen or even through the BB menu button. I just hate having to go in to the options to change GPS settings!

If it's true there's no reason to turn GPS off. I just don't see how it's true. I notice better life by roughly 20% with GPS off.
    04-27-09 09:49 PM
    If it's true there's no reason to turn GPS off. I just don't see how it's true. I notice better life by roughly 20% with GPS off.
    Agreed. I also don't take the time to constantly check to see if I accidently left a GPS intensive app open.
    04-27-09 09:51 PM
    Does anybody know which API controls the GPS on/off function?
    04-27-09 10:23 PM
    it is true if u are not using a program with gps it stops draining battery because simply when you even leave google maps open in the background, then go back to it, it usually takes about a 5 -10 secs to get a GPS lock again... if it was constantly on it shouldnt have to wait to lock...
    04-27-09 11:14 PM
    As stated in the RIM API reference the GPS module has 3 states of operation.

1. Idle - In this state, the radio is detached from the network.
    2. Ready - In this state, the radio is attached to the network, and can send and receive packets.
    3. Standby - In this state, the network must page the radio to prepare it to receive a downlink packet.

I assume when GPS is enabled in the options, it is placed in STANDBY mode and awaits a location request. This waiting process then must use more CPU cycles than if it were in IDLE mode. Now i need to find out if STANDBY uses more batt. when compared to IDLE.
    04-28-09 12:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD