im currently running my storm on .132 but my battery seems to not even last one complete day. i have charged it all then left it with out using anything and still by hte end it runs out of bettery

so the question is if there is a way to make it last longer and i dont have any 3rd party apps on my storm

what i have seen is something about a radios swap

what does that do? can someone explain what it is and it it will help

04-27-09 07:12 PM
    You can try a few battery pulls and see if that works. There's also an app around here that makes your battery last longer.
    04-27-09 07:15 PM
    So wait, you charged it fully, and just left it alone? Like you never touched it at all and the screen stayed off and it still drained in one day????
    04-27-09 07:17 PM
    Mine will 2 charge it complete put it by my bed 4 alarm clock when I wake up its almost dead

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 07:48 PM
    If your battery is fully drained by the end of the day without even touching it that sounds like either exaggeration or your battery is bad.

Some simple things you can do to help your battery last longer is turn your GPS Services to 'E911 Only' and Location Aiding to 'Disabled' when you're not using a GPS required app and turn your screen brightness down to around 60.
    04-27-09 08:14 PM
    So wait, you charged it fully, and just left it alone? Like you never touched it at all and the screen stayed off and it still drained in one day????
    yes i did and it goes dead and it sucks cuz when i do use it it i start my day at 800 then it wont last that long probably not even the 12hrs
    04-27-09 08:32 PM
    Mine will 2 charge it complete put it by my bed 4 alarm clock when I wake up its almost dead

yes happens to me to i wake up when the alarm goes off and my battery only has one bar

so y leave it charging all night or else it just turns off
    04-27-09 08:33 PM
    Damn, my storm with loads of apps, custom theme and .132 can last up to a few days, again if I don't touch the phone or have anything but the 5 mandetory apps open at the time. Maybe longer

04-27-09 08:41 PM
    Do you have weather bug? Some ppl complain about battery and memory leaks with it because of its auto update feature. Make sure you close the programs you're not using. After all that if you still have s bad battery take it to your carrier's store and have them issue you a new one.

04-27-09 08:41 PM
    mine isn't that bad but I'd still like it to be longer
    04-27-09 09:13 PM
    You can do the things mentioned in my signature , that has helped many many people with battery life.
    04-27-09 09:15 PM
    You can do the things mentioned in my signature , that has helped many many people with battery life.
    Thank you i did as the post said well see how that goes and

i also installed .132/5.0 and it seems to run great so weel see if i combine both of them if it will give me a good result

thanks for ur help ill post later to see how it worked out
    04-28-09 12:34 AM
    My phone goes dead in one day when I barely use it too. When you are in a poor service area, your battery lasts less than half the time its suppose to....
    04-28-09 06:32 AM
    not sure if you have done this or not, but i recommend going into Options >Screen/ Keyboard and turning down your back light... i have mine at 60 instead of the 90 it was at, and that seems to have helped the batter life considerably.
    04-28-09 06:50 AM
    Disable push email...I've seen mine last for days when I turned off the email.
    04-28-09 07:13 AM
    My phone goes dead in one day when I barely use it too. When you are in a poor service area, your battery lasts less than half the time its suppose to....
    There's your answer right there. Poor service kills a battery because the phone is constantly searching for a signal that will KILL the battery.
    04-28-09 07:16 AM

That is definitely a bad battery. Not that you have, but watch out for over charging. Quickest way to shorten battery life.
    04-28-09 08:26 AM
    If you are using Viigo, check how often it is updating, I changed my settings and it seemed to improve my memory leak as well as battery drain (eventually just removed viigo as the issues were not worth it). I also made sure to turn off find my location in the map programs as well as weatherbug, and have GPS as 911 only as previously mentioned.

One other thing, after updating the OS, I find that if I don't switch my theme back to the standard theme, and then do a battery pull (soft reset), my custom theme will cause both a battery drain and a memory loss. After updating to .132, I forgot to change back to the Precision Zen theme, and my memory was consistently dropping from around 40mb to 20mb within a few hours, even after repeated battery pulls. But after switching to the Precision Zen theme, doing a battery pull, and then switching back to my custom theme, things have really improved. I have been running for about two days (turn off while sleeping) but I still have 2 bars of battery life, and around 34MB of memory. Good luck.
    04-28-09 08:44 AM
    i don't get it? are you people that want your phone to last a few days no where near electricity? stop lookin at the storm as a simple phone. it's a mobile computing and communication device. just plug it in at night. my battery last twice as long now that i've done the gps tips. i changed the settings two weeks ago and my battery hasn t gone below 35% with heavy to moderate use.
    04-28-09 08:51 AM
    The thing that kills batteries faster than anythng else is being in a poor signal area. The phone polls the mast about every 30 seconds or so under normal conditions. If it does not find what it needs then it will poll more often with obvious detriment to the battery.

You say that you are running no 3rd party apps so we can rule out that.

Next, try switching off Data Services overnight. Go to Options, Mobile Network, Data Services = Off.

Make sure that the screen brightness is as low as possible as has already been said. Also set the timeout to 30 secs.

Try setting Options, Auto On/Off to turn off overnight.

I use AutoStandby - in the CrackBerry store for $5.95 - and find that this helps my battery life a lot.

If you can swap your battery with someone else who has a STorm then that will prove your battery good or bad.

Lastly always charge the phone usng the original BlackBerry wall charger. It was designed to do the job. There are numerous threads on Crackberry attesting to this.
    04-28-09 08:58 AM
    does the heat run the battrie down ???? as my batt is always hot
    04-28-09 09:24 AM
    I had the same battery issue when i first started with .132. I was getting about 6-8 hours with moderate use. Here's what I did and it has SIGNIFICANTLY improved my battery life!

1. Disable GPS Locating: options > advanced options > GPS. Set GPS Services to E911 Only. Set Location Aiding to Disabled

2. Remove Weatherbug completely. It's just an OK weather app anyway IMO. Instead, set up a bookmark in your browser to your favorite weather site. ( I use Yahoo)

3. Backlight Brightness to 10. Backlight timeout to 20 Secs. believe me, 10 brightness is all you need.

4. Make sure you only have 16 Icons on you home screen.

5. Set Mobile Network to 1XEV: Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Network Technology - set to 1XEV instead of Global. (unless of course you are out of the US)

These steps worked for me. I now get two days worth even with moderate to heavy use!
    04-28-09 10:25 AM
    Yeah if your battery dies without using it that sounds like an issue. Do you have like 10 email accounts and get massive amounts of emails???

As for the battery pull trick that doesn�t really work with my phone. Every time I did a battery pull it seemed to drain my battery even more. I now have the quickpull app but no difference still seems to drain whenever I use it. I get about a full day out of my phone and it charges overnight then ready to go the next day.
    05-07-09 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD