check this out. I live in South Florida and with hurricane season just around the corner this app would be awsome. Anyone working on something like that? They use the mic to calculate the windspeed.

04-26-09 11:16 PM
    Wow that would be great for getting wind readings for long distance shooting. Is this going to be available for the storm? If so this could be the first app that I buy. Would be even better if someone could put that together with the gps and made it able to know your elevation above sea level, put it all in one with a calculator that has all the necessary formulas and you've got a great app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-09 11:48 PM
    To make an app like this for the storm would take some R&D to accurately calibrate wind speed to input level. R&D takes money. The Storm doesn't have a amount of units sold like the iphone, so there's less potential revenue. Smaller customer base translates to a more expensive app.

I wouldn't count on seeing this one...
    04-27-09 12:05 AM
    How would a microphone be able to measure wind speed? Sprinkle some magic fairy dust on it and pretend its a propeller?

I can post youtube video links too! Theres the magic scale!

Last edited by gozirra; 04-27-09 at 01:12 AM.
    04-27-09 01:09 AM
    How would a microphone be able to measure wind speed? Sprinkle some magic fairy dust on it and pretend its a propeller?

I can post youtube video links too! Theres the magic scale!
    It's pretty simple actually, it just measures the sound level of the wind noise as it goes past the mic, just like when your talking to someone who's in a windy area or they breath in the mic and you can hear the wind.

I'm not saying its reliable, you'd have to hold the mic in the perfect direction to get the same results as when it was first calibrated/programmed but it's far from fairy dust.
    04-27-09 04:17 AM
    1) if the wind speed is based on wind "noise", how will surrounding background affect it??

2) if you are interested in this for hurricane season... do you plan on taking your Storm (or IPhone) out into the rain to check wind speed?

I can see one day a weather station using WI-FI to send data to your computer network, to any WI-FI enable phones (STORM II)... Then someone could make an app to display that data....
    04-27-09 09:25 AM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't our phones have a noise canceling feature?

When I'm on the phone in my convertible, the person on the other end doesn't even hear the wind at all.

Wouldn't the wind noise just get canceled out and you would be left with a 0 reading?
    04-27-09 10:31 AM
    Yep dmg, just have to make sure that you don't use up all your magic fairy dust, or they WILL hear the noise.
    04-27-09 11:20 AM
    Well, there is not even an API for getting the mic volume, is it?
    04-27-09 12:16 PM
    Well, there is not even an API for getting the mic volume, is it?
    Yeah there is, that's how shazam gets their input. Although they may have more access to the API then we do. RIM seems to be pretty happy about Shazam.
    04-27-09 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD