Bwahahahahaha. I found this rather funny. Not like I like the phone, but it will at least let Sprint users know that Apple doesn't like CDMA.

""CDMA doesnt really have a life to it after a certain point in time," Cook said during the call, dashing any fantasies of the iPhone becoming available to Sprint and Verizon users in the next few years. Cook was referring to the entire Qualcomm CDMA stack in comparison with 3GPP GSM/UMTS specifications, as UMTS actually uses a related W-CDMA carrier technology as opposed to GSM's TDMA signaling."

Asked Wednesday about his company's exclusive relationship with AT&T -- cited by some as a barrier to further iPhone penetration -- Apple interim chief Tim Cook responded by praising the carrier as 'the best wireless provider in the US,' explaining that its GSM foundation gels with Apple's goal of providing 'one phone for the entire world' while rival CDMA technology 'doesn't really have a life to it.'

Speaking during Apple's second-fiscal quarter conference call, Cook reiterated that Apple chose AT&T (then named Cingular) as its exclusive partner in the US because of its support for GSM, the mobile networking standard in use worldwide by the majority of cellular phone providers. That enabled Apple to launch and sell one unit globally.

The second generation iPhone 3G added support for UMTS service, the third generation mobile network standard that all GSM providers are moving toward. Development of UMTS is managed by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) organization.

While many phone makers sell versions of their handsets for both GSM/UMTS worldwide and Qualcomm's rival CDMA mobile network technology operated by Sprint and Verizon Wireless in the US, doing so requires twice the development effort. Taking on that extra effort is becoming increasingly less attractive as CDMA providers make plans to transition to the next generation of mobile networks.

"CDMA doesnt really have a life to it after a certain point in time," Cook said during the call, dashing any fantasies of the iPhone becoming available to Sprint and Verizon users in the next few years. Cook was referring to the entire Qualcomm CDMA stack in comparison with 3GPP GSM/UMTS specifications, as UMTS actually uses a related W-CDMA carrier technology as opposed to GSM's TDMA signaling.

For Verizon, the primary competitor to AT&T in the US, the next generation mobile network means Long Term Evolution (LTE). That future specification is sometimes referred to as 4G, but is really the next stage of 3GPP development. AT&T currently operates a 3GPP Release 5 network now being upgraded to incorporate newer improvements in the 3GPP specifications; LTE is simply a name attached to the forthcoming 3GPP Release 8.

Once LTE networks are built out over the next several years, Verizon's CEO told the Wall Street Journal that an LTE version of the iPhone would make Apple "more likely" to want to work with Verizon in addition to AT&T. If all goes according to plan, at some point early in the next decade both Verizon and AT&T will operate compatible networks, just like all the providers in Europe.

However, AT&T has already stated that it plans to upgrade its existing network incrementally, which is a much easier path toward LTE than Verizon's plans to completely replace its CDMA/EVDO network with LTE. During that time, AT&T will also be able to continue to advertise a faster mobile network, and Apple will be able to leverage global support for 3GPP mobile networks to release increasingly faster versions of the iPhone.
    AppleInsider | Apple happy with AT&T, indicates no plans for CDMA iPhone
    04-26-09 11:57 AM
    Could be hogwash towing the line for current carrier relationship, could have some actual truth behind it. Who knows for sure right now and if some do they certainly would not be talking about it.

I�m going to do some digging into LTE being the next stage of 3GPP development and the claim AT&T currently operates a 3GPP Release 5 network now being upgraded to incorporate newer improvements in the 3GPP specifications; LTE is simply a name attached to the forthcoming 3GPP Release 8.

I suppose it is possible for a trend to move towards a more unified network. That would definitely make future handset developments easier as well give greater compatibility with Europe�s networks. Those believing in the N.W.O./global unification in general would see this impending as well.

Again, this could also just be hogwash. I do know in my locale CDMA owns GSM as a much better network in reception and sound quality. YMMV. Point is if there�s any truth to this then I don�t think it will ultimately bode well for Joe Consumer. Less choices usually means less for the individual.
    04-26-09 01:23 PM
    Well, between Qualcomm holding a monopoly over CDMA chipsets, and the whole ESN to MEID switchover, CDMA is somewhat of a problem child sometimes. I like it, because in my area, the CDMA providers offer better coverage. CDMA is newer than GSM, but unfortunately just didn't catch on worldwide the way GSM did. With the advent of UTMS, CDMA2000 is even starting to show it's age, even though EV-DO Rev.A is so quick. I think the things that have ultimately doomed CDMA though are refusal on the part of the providers and manufacturers to implement R-UIM (kinda like a CDMA SIM Card) on CDMA2000 devices as well as the old CDMAone architecture that keeps simultaneous data and voice out of our reach. LTE really is sort of the light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully for those of us on unconventional (CDMA and iDEN) networks, it will allow us to keep our providers (hopefully they all switch over) and open up a world of new handsets to us... something we haven't really been so accustomed to in the past.
    04-26-09 09:59 PM
    04-27-09 12:38 AM
    You know, I don't care what Apple or AT&T say about CDMA technology. I find it to be superior to GSM in many ways. Call quality for one is better on CDMA than GSM. I also can't stand the interference that GSM phones constantly put out. You know that stupid dit-di-di-dit-di-di-dit-dd-dddddddddd that happens to the speakers in your car or office right before a GSM phone is about to ring? That's just plain silly. I don't care if GSM is more popular and more global. That doesn't make it superior technology.
    04-27-09 01:00 AM
    I don't know how many times I've seen this same article or link to article posted since yesterday with each one giving the post a different title.
    04-27-09 01:12 AM
    its funny how many people think GSM is better . In Chicago. a big city gsm is really worthless... i have sprint and i have the best coverage best signal and data just about anywhere i go. even in downtown with all the interfernece there... im able to call n browse while others arent even able to get a signal... i believe CDMA is better. and it proves it in a big city where popluation is huge.
    04-27-09 02:39 PM
    Sprint isn't going with LTE. They've opted to go with WiMax for 4G. Wimax and LTE are very similar, but that means with Verizon and all the GSM providers looking to go LTE that Sprint will be running different protocol than everyone. At least now manufacturers can develop same phone to work on either sprint or Verizon... eventually won't be the case.
    Last edited by lnichols; 04-29-09 at 09:17 AM.
    04-27-09 03:25 PM
    Wimax is getting skipped, and everyone will be on LTE by 2012-2013

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 10:29 PM
    You know, I don't care what Apple or AT&T say about CDMA technology. I find it to be superior to GSM in many ways. Call quality for one is better on CDMA than GSM. I also can't stand the interference that GSM phones constantly put out. You know that stupid dit-di-di-dit-di-di-dit-dd-dddddddddd that happens to the speakers in your car or office right before a GSM phone is about to ring? That's just plain silly. I don't care if GSM is more popular and more global. That doesn't make it superior technology.
    CDMA is superior to and newer than the TDMA that GSM uses... my first cell phone, one of those in car units was a TDMA unit. Proof that CDMA is more effective is that GSM's 3G evolution, UTMS is based upon W-CDMA instead of TDMA now.
    Oh, and that noise that GSM phones make on stereos and stuff is REALLY annoying in a radio room full of radios, tvs, and speakers.
    Last edited by paultyler_82; 04-28-09 at 01:24 AM.
    04-28-09 01:08 AM
    Completely agree! I left AT&T for this reason. Never have I had a drop call with Sprint since joining in December. I had to call AT&T CSR on many occasions for problems with drop calls every day. I just had enough of it.
    04-28-09 07:08 PM
    Wimax is getting skipped, and everyone will be on LTE by 2012-2013

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sprint has announced no plans for LTE deployment. They are going with WiMax, so not everyone will be LTE. Since LTE was based on WiMax and a ploy by the equipment makers to make sure their wasn't a license free open standard that would drive the cost of base station and end user equipment way down due to competition, I would bet it would be easy to make a WiMax/LTE world phone, and the WiMax side would be license free so easy/cheap to incorporate. Look at the companies on the 3GPP consortium and you'll see why they developed LTE.
    04-29-09 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD