So, I have a cracked screen. I called Verizon to ask if they could do something, anything for me. I had read on here of others being offered a refurb replacement for $50 for cracked screens. The rep put me on hold for a bit and comes back to tell me he was checking to see if they had any refurbs like they do with other phones, but there are no refurb Storms to offer. Only option they had for me was to buy a new one at retail cost. *Ouch*

No, I do not have insurance. I had never purchased phone insurance before and when I got up at 5:30 am on launch day to place my order online, I either wasn't offered it because it wasn't on my account already or I didn't see it offered. When I finally realized insurance was a good idea for this phone I had surpassed the 15 day limit by a week.

I know I could buy a new screen for $100, but I'm wondering if I should try again with someone else, or go in person to a Verizon store. My account will already reflect that I called about this issue. I was very pleasant with the rep and it is not in my nature to be the squeaky wheel. Was that my downfall? I just can't believe there are no refurbs available.

If I wasn't so in love with this phone I would probably just move my number over to one of the old LG 6800's sitting in my junk drawer for the kids to play with. No turning back now to some other crappy phone. I'll pay the $100 for the new screen if I have to, but if I can get a refurb I would be much happier about it.
    04-25-09 06:30 PM
    I would call one more time or walk into a corporate store and see the tech guys there. If that fails, go for the screen replacement.
    04-25-09 06:53 PM
    As much as it sucks, what you posted sounds like standard procedure, as far as I know. The refurb for $50 is a result of having insurance -- the $50 is a deductible that's paid to Asurion and they send you a phone, either new or refurbished, to replace your broken one.
    04-25-09 06:56 PM
    And as far as I know you can add insurance on to a phone at any point during a plan. I did it several months in to owning my last phone, and thank god I did... two months after that I dropped it in a bucket of water.
    04-25-09 07:16 PM
    nope ,you have to purchase insurance 15 days from phone purchase.....
    04-25-09 07:39 PM
    And as far as I know you can add insurance on to a phone at any point during a plan. I did it several months in to owning my last phone, and thank god I did... two months after that I dropped it in a bucket of water.
    You got lucky then. It's hard set that you can not add insurance past 15 days.
    04-25-09 07:47 PM
    As much as it sucks, what you posted sounds like standard procedure, as far as I know. The refurb for $50 is a result of having insurance -- the $50 is a deductible that's paid to Asurion and they send you a phone, either new or refurbished, to replace your broken one.
    I spent this afternoon researching cracked screens on this site and found several people that did not have insurance get this offered to them. I'm going to give this one more shot on Monday.
    04-25-09 08:25 PM
    they should be replacing it with a new phone if they dont have refurbs
    they would be giving me a brand new one you better believe that. its under your 1 year factory warranty
    04-25-09 08:29 PM
    they would be giving me a brand new one you better believe that. its under your 1 year factory warranty
    For a cracked screen? Not so much.
    04-25-09 08:33 PM
    Check to see if there is anyone that has a device that does not work and they may sell as a parts device. Just an idea.
    04-25-09 08:33 PM
    I kept asking him if they do repairs or sell spare parts which of course he said no. I can't believe that the public is left to fend for themselves with a broken phone, especially of this price. I am a big believer in recycling and don't think someone should be expected to throw out a good phone and purchase a brand new one for a broken part. We usually keep one old phone in the house for a backup and donate the rest. Why can't they be more accommodating to help fix it?

If I go to a corporate store, I'll ask again about spare parts or a parts device.
    04-25-09 08:49 PM
    They aren't left to fend for themselves. They get insurance, or they go online and buy a part and replace it on their own.
    04-25-09 08:55 PM
    Just as a FYI for anyone that sees this post, INSURANCE IS A GOOD IDEA, i dont know about you but paying the 95 dollar deductable for a refurb/new phone is a lot better than paying the damn full price for a phone if u break it... with the insurance question, i am actually a rep for big red/alltel,assurion will let you get insurance after the fact, even a while after, but, there are stipulations, 1. you get to directly contact the insurance company to get approved. 2. it usually takes about if i remember correcly it takes approxamatly 30-45 days to take effect 3. since you kinda already called and said your phone broke it probably wont go through now....
    04-25-09 08:58 PM
    Contacy RIM. They will probably sell you a screen, or offer a repair service.
    04-25-09 09:00 PM
    I agree, The windshield on my honda broke and they replaced it with a brand new car... It was covered under my 3 year, 36000 mile bumper to bumper. I called and asked for a refurbished car and they said they were out... So I complained and said I have a warranty and they replaced it with a whole new car...BELIEVE THAT!
    Last edited by -Deeter-; 04-25-09 at 09:31 PM.
    04-25-09 09:24 PM
    under no circumstances is a phone with a crack screen replaced with a refurb for $50. There is a program that will replace a a phone with a cracked inner LCD for $50, but never if the screen itself is physically cracked. If a rep did that they would be putting their job in jeopardy, and you would be kind of a **** if you expected them them to do that for you, especially when jobs are so hard to come by.

Just sayin...
    04-25-09 10:12 PM
    The factory warranty would only cover a cracked screen if that's how it was right out of the box. The warranty doesn't cover accidental damage, and you'll be hard-pressed to prove that a glass screen that wasn't cracked when it was bought but is now cracked resulted from defects to workmanship instead of accidental damage.
    04-25-09 10:21 PM
    This is how it works, if verizon has refurbs, as a courtesy, they will offer one for $50, seeing how there are none in the warehouse for the past couple days, they are not going to discount a full retail phone from $400 to $50 because you broke it. When there are more in stock, they will order you one. The past couple days to a week I have not been able to order one for customers.
    But yes, if it was a warranty issue, you would get a new one
    04-25-09 10:30 PM
    word of advice..... lie!!! i had to lie to get my insurance becasue i watied to long and all i did was call and asked why my insurance wasent showing up on my bill the next week they put insurance on my phone
    04-25-09 10:34 PM
    This is how it works, if verizon has refurbs, as a courtesy, they will offer one for $50, seeing how there are none in the warehouse for the past couple days, they are not going to discount a full retail phone from $400 to $50 because you broke it. When there are more in stock, they will order you one. The past couple days to a week I have not been able to order one for customers.
    But yes, if it was a warranty issue, you would get a new one
    This is correct
    04-25-09 11:04 PM
    rep is full of crap
    04-26-09 02:33 AM
    rep is full of crap
    rep is not full of crap. you break it, you bought it. OP and quoted respondent are just spoiled little brats.
    04-26-09 03:02 AM
    use someone elses insurance, if you know people that have a storm, tell them to make a claim and reimburse them for their 2 minutes on the web. I know it'd work
    04-26-09 04:13 AM
    use someone elses insurance, if you know people that have a storm, tell them to make a claim and reimburse them for their 2 minutes on the web. I know it'd work

No it would not. You have to send in the "broken" phone. The esn wouldnt match up.

and just in case you say you lost the phone, it would be on lost/stolen list and could not be activated again.

Maybe you can flash it?
    04-26-09 04:52 AM
    You really spent a whole afternoon researching this? What have we become?
    04-26-09 05:24 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD