My first Bold's left speaker stopped working one day (after about 2 months) and while I got a replacement Bold from my carrier, I'm a bit worried this will happen again.

On the first Bold, I used to crank the volume all the way up and put Audio Boost on. I'm figuring this caused the damage.

On the Bold I'm currently using, I have all notification tones set to Medium and whenever I play music on the Media player, I have Audio Boost set to off and the volume is just somewhere in the middle. Is this going to preserve the speakers this time?
    04-25-09 11:45 AM
    I've noticed with mine I do the same (cranking it all the way up and all that) and depending on the bass of the song it can be a bit distorted but only when the bass bumps up. I would say faulty speakers, keep rockin'
    04-25-09 11:53 AM
    There has been a few that have had issues so I wouldnt push those little speakers too hard. I dont use my Bold speakers to crank the music. I use my car or portable speakers at the house to do that.
    04-25-09 11:55 AM
    I've always just left the audio boost off. I've never worried about the volume and never had an issue with the speakers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 11:55 AM
    I wouldn't say they're fragile-

I would just say they're amazing speakers that prompt people to utilize them (the speakers) way higher than they're meant to perform.

The bass on the bold is pretty amazing.

I wouldn't be surprised if mine conked out if I blasted bassy music on them.

Remember, even good car speakers can blow out if you raise the volume to high.
    04-25-09 11:59 AM
    thanks for the responses, yep the speakers sound great and im making sure i don't put it on full volume knowing that they can get messed up.
    04-25-09 06:21 PM
    i've notice if you squeeze above the camera flash while playing a song you can gain your sound back. i hate this about it because i've missed alot of calls
    04-28-09 09:25 PM
    Bleh.. I would feel a little bit bad for the hardstyle techno listeners out there blasting it on their bold then again I do that and there's no problem at all. They're still there and not blown off

04-28-09 10:15 PM
    From what I've seen this phone has the best speakerphone out of the phones I've owned so far. Even near max volume there is very little distortion which is uncommon.

04-28-09 10:20 PM
    I agree with Papped. I have owned a lot of phones and the speaker on the Bold is probably the best I have ever owned. The sound quality is excellent.
    04-28-09 11:56 PM
    the sound quality is great, and it's the first phone where I've actually had to turn down the volume when I use it for voice calls. with other ones, sometimes I have to shove the phone to my ear to hear people.
    04-29-09 12:42 AM
    Man this is good to know.

I do use the bold speakers quite a bit, I listen to music at home and work using my bold. Its vey convienient.. Maybe I should not be blasting the sound.

04-29-09 08:08 AM
    My first Bold's left speaker stopped working one day (after about 2 months) and while I got a replacement Bold from my carrier, I'm a bit worried this will happen again.

On the first Bold, I used to crank the volume all the way up and put Audio Boost on. I'm figuring this caused the damage.

On the Bold I'm currently using, I have all notification tones set to Medium and whenever I play music on the Media player, I have Audio Boost set to off and the volume is just somewhere in the middle. Is this going to preserve the speakers this time?
    your left speaker stopped working? interesting since the Bold only has one speaker....you sure you didnt block the speaker port on that side of the device with lint?

Last edited by giantfan30; 04-29-09 at 08:19 AM.
    04-29-09 08:15 AM
    Lol. Can't argue with that blueprint.

04-29-09 08:27 AM
    Lol. Can't argue with that blueprint.

exactly why i posted it
    04-29-09 08:29 AM
    When I'm on a call with the phone to my ear and the volume up high, there is a horrible buzz that occurs now and then that is horribly annoying. It is fine on speaker. Does this happen to anyone else?

05-04-09 06:12 PM
    TTT - I'm having the same issue as brought up in the original post in this thread. Volume only comes out of the "right" speaker. If I squeeze (rather hard) at the top of the phone (above the flash, as mentioned) it (very briefly) fixes the problem.

Has anyone figured out what would cause this? I've been missing TONS of calls/notifications due to this, and if there's a way for me to remedy this myself without having to deal with AT&T, I'd surely like to give it a shot... that is, other than squeezing my phone every few minutes.
    05-29-09 07:33 PM
    Well I have this same problem with my phone. What I did to fix this was get a business card and cut a small piece and folded it and put it between the phone and the battery door. I put it at the top between the battery door hook openings and the camera flash. Now my phone rings loud just like it did before. I hope this works for others who also have this problem.
    06-01-09 09:15 PM
    And here I was wondering why I couldn't hear my phone ring and the alarm. When I had the battery cover on, the volume is really low, even when the volume was cranked up. Took the cover off then the volume was much louder. It seems that if I put a bit of pressure between the back and front of the bold on the top, the volume would be how it should be.

Anyways, had it replaced by Rogers here... it got to the point where I couldn't hear the other person on the phone. This being on a brand new phone just barely two months and now replaced with a refurbished
    06-01-09 09:23 PM
    sorry, but the bold does have left AND right speakers look closely at your battery door, and you will see two small openings on each side (one for each speaker) on each top corner.

Since I'm almost an audiophile, I discovered this right away... nicest mobile phone built-in speakers I've ever heard!

The way I found out... I've created 2 stereo mp3s, one with just pink noise on the left channel, and the other one the same but on the right channel and you could easily tell some "audio separation" or "direction".

Also, there are way too many electric contacts in that picture, speakers must be inside that black frame thing and use 2 or 3 contacts (Left/Right/Gound). Also LEDs have 2 contacts not 5 or 6 (unless it's a RGB LED, which is obviously not) and there are 3 antennas apparently, so 3 "ground contacts" must be reserved for that.

*** pm me so I can send you the file, so you can hear for yourself. ***
    Last edited by tigger95; 06-01-09 at 11:12 PM. Reason: More info
    06-01-09 10:02 PM
    Looks like I'll be going back to AT&T.

At full volume, I cannot hear sound unless I hold the phone up to my ear.. and this is the main speaker for ringers/music/etc.

If I press pretty firmly directly onto the camera's flash light, it comes back to life... but goes right back to nearly inaudible when I let go.

Lame.
    06-14-09 05:12 PM
    The speakers on most mobile devices are not mean't to be used as a BoomBox all cranked up with high treble and bass.

Handle with care.
    06-14-09 05:20 PM
    i've notice if you squeeze above the camera flash while playing a song you can gain your sound back. i hate this about it because i've missed alot of calls

you good sir are a genius!! i dont kno how you figured this out but its works u can press it and get it to stay. I had to make an insurance claim cuz my dang speaker quit workin. so i gave the old one to my girlfriend and i read you post, tryed it and sure enough the dead came back to life! turns out my new blackberry that was still workin has gone dull. tryed the little trick and it blew loud again. blackberry needs to do something ab this!
    09-12-09 11:50 PM
    sorry, but the bold does have left AND right speakers look closely at your battery door, and you will see two small openings on each side (one for each speaker) on each top corner.

Since I'm almost an audiophile, I discovered this right away... nicest mobile phone built-in speakers I've ever heard!

The way I found out... I've created 2 stereo mp3s, one with just pink noise on the left channel, and the other one the same but on the right channel and you could easily tell some "audio separation" or "direction".

Also, there are way too many electric contacts in that picture, speakers must be inside that black frame thing and use 2 or 3 contacts (Left/Right/Gound). Also LEDs have 2 contacts not 5 or 6 (unless it's a RGB LED, which is obviously not) and there are 3 antennas apparently, so 3 "ground contacts" must be reserved for that.

*** pm me so I can send you the file, so you can hear for yourself. ***
    actually it is a RGB LED i have an app that rings all colors when i get a call. its called buzzme by bigtincan, they call it disco mode and its like 10 diff colors
    09-12-09 11:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD