I found what appears to be a MAJOR f_up with either Windows XP or with Norton 360 or possibly the newest Java update! I have not isolated it yet, but if you try to update your BB, you may end up thinking you've bricked it!

I too had a problem and even exchanged my Storm at Verizon.

During an update to .122, my Storm kept getting stuck during the process. Apploader or DM didn't make a difference. I read every post on what to do if your BB PIN is not recognized... NOTHING.

I spent two nights almost all night trying to get my "error 507" storm to connect and every time the JVM tried to connect, it didn't! I thought I had a bad Storm. Well, I had the SAME thing happen tonight with my new Storm... SO...

Just for the heck of it, I tried an old laptop that was recently updated and Voila! it Worked!

I am SURE that there is a problem with one of the above mentioned programs which received updates in the past week or so. I've done quite a few of these BB OS updates without a problem until now. My suspicion is that it may be a JAVA update program on Win XP.
    04-24-09 12:39 AM
    I haven't had a problem and I have XP SP2 on both PC and has AVG and the other has Norton and neither gave me issues.

Have you uninstalled previous OS be fore updating?
    04-24-09 12:44 AM
    I am running XP SP3, and as I mentioned Norton 360. As I mentioned, Iit likely may have to do with Java version on your Windows box - I'm not sure, but I had also had the same problem on my Mac running Windows XP- I also keep it fully updated to avoid viruses, worms, adware, etc. BUT, I think this is an unintended consequence of one of the above programs' updates.

I am sure we'll be seeing more folks on the forums with this problem.
    04-24-09 12:48 AM
    I have XP sp3 with 360 and the newest java framework. i have had zero issues
    04-24-09 07:50 AM
    I used Vista and VMware off my Mac and installed .132. No problem with install.
    04-24-09 07:52 AM
    Most likely that Norton is the issue since it's the crappiest joke of a virus protection program there is...try disabling it and running an update
    04-24-09 07:55 AM
    How about the last Java update? Perhaps this is also the culprit.

In any case, I have 3 Windows XP machine. 2 of them have Norton 360, as well as fully updated OS, new Java downloads, and two the three rail to recognize my device no matter what I do! Again, on TWO DIFFERENT Storms! Same error 507 occurring at the exact same part of the process with the same versions of DM, Apploader, and firmware.

The 3rd one is an old laptop with Windows SP2, and an old version of Norton Antivirus. Besides that EVERYTHING is the same. I am fairly sure that one of these items is the cause of the "evil".

Anyway, if anyone benefits from my post, I am thrilled... Perhaps there are a combination of my listed conditions that I have listed that cause this, but it is truly heartbreaking to have lost two nights of sleep because of this!

I have a fair amount of experience with these upgrades. I'm no "CX" or "Radioguinea", but I've done my fair share of tinkering without issues until this point.
    04-24-09 08:07 AM
    Interesting. To isolate more, I'd try stopping some services / eliminating parts of what you think is doing it. I highly doubt that it's SP3 for XP, as many people (including myself) are running it without problems. I am also running completely updated Java, without issues. You could test the Java theory by disabling it in the Apploader (which, if you tried to unbrick, you should have already done ).

I have found that Norton (with the exception of SAV 10, which worked like a charm) frequently puts its "finger" in where it doesn't need to be. So, if it's scanning the mass storage part of your storm when DM/Apploader is trying to update, then that could cause an issue.

Good luck on the isolation...
    04-24-09 08:14 AM
    To stop this problem from happening, simply unplug the Phone when its doing its final reboot, otherwise it gets stuck in a loop for ages. I had this happen to me without even realising after 2 hours :P

Like I said, just unplug the phone once everything has been loaded to it and Desktop Loader says something like "Attempting to connect" at the end.
    04-24-09 08:24 AM
    I have XP sp3 with 360 and the newest java framework. i have had zero issues
    I'm in the same boat. No problems here.
    04-24-09 08:26 AM
    I think that you may be right with Norton. I have had problems that didn't seem to make sense that seemed to "go away" with Norton either disabled or uninstalled throughout the years.

I probably won't get a chance to test my theory until the next round of leaks, as I think I want to be able to use my phone for business for a while!

I do believe that this should be put up as a "sticky" for those who may be having issues with error 507. To say it is reproducible is an understatement. I must have used Apploader and/or DM in the past two evenings 35 times!
    04-24-09 08:28 AM
    My computer has windows xp and norton 360. I have upgraded to .113 to .122 and then .132 yesterday without any problems.
    04-24-09 08:46 AM
    Coffeehair,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had tried it... again, and again, and again. I read and searched every forum I could find on this. The problem is likely in one of the areas I mentioned.

Two phones, Three Windows XP computers, 48 hours, Apploader, DM, etc... and 48 hours of fun... tried it all.

It seems from those I have heard from in this thread and another I have posted this to, that it MAY - MAY - be Norton 360.

Anyway, as I started on my first post here, BE CAREFULL and AWARE that this may be the problem. I'd rather have someone read this and have a good weekend - instead of two days of frustration like I had.
    04-24-09 08:49 AM
    There is a thread on here telling how to fix a bricked phone (the "error 507" message). The trick is take out the battery, plug the phone in, run apploader (NOT DM) and when the screen showing apploader trying to connect to the phone is up put the battery back in. You have to time it just right but if you do it will connect. Then just reload the OS. Did you try that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 09:34 AM
    Unseenme,

You are right about this recommendation of the battery pull/red light on...

I tried it over and over. This is NOT the problem. It would connect, but not load. Of course, the PIN comes up as UNKNOWN PIN which is normal, but NOPE, this was not a viable work-around.

It is really a problem. Perhaps not properly isolated, but a true issue nonetheless. It appears that there are a few others that MAY have the same issue even after trying the battery pull, wait for red light, move like lightning trick.

Anyway thanks for the try.
    04-24-09 09:44 AM
    There is nothing wrong with a 507 error, just means that there is no OS on the Phone.

It happens when a phone has been Wiped with JL.

As far as your connection issues with your computers, did you ever Go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Applo ader and delete the Vendor.xml then reboot after you got the 507 error? Then run loader.exe? If it did not work again, reboot again, then try loader.exe once more.
    04-24-09 10:22 AM
    Markdental,

Yes, I always delete the Vendor.xml file.
    04-24-09 10:26 AM
    Once you got the 507 error, did you reboot your computer then run loader.exe again?
    04-24-09 10:27 AM
    And yes, 507 is normal, but after a Apploader reload, it is SUPPOSED to eventually work.
    04-24-09 10:27 AM
    Also, how many things do you have connected to your USB ports? Could be a port power issue...
    04-24-09 10:30 AM
    Once you got the 507 error, did you reboot your computer then run loader.exe again?
    +1...the one time I got the unknown pin msg this fixed it for me too

04-24-09 10:34 AM
    Also, how many things do you have connected to your USB ports? Could be a port power issue...
    If you were using a laptop with docking station or usb hub this problem is known. Best practice is to use the usb ports on the back of your pc.

04-24-09 12:23 PM
    see i had a problem like this where neither would connect or recognize my blackberry all i did was uninstall my desktop software and reinstalled it and everything has been a ok
    04-24-09 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD