Hey everyone,

I'm planning a trip overseas with my Storm (Verizon carrier). I'm going to Thailand and Japan. What is the best way to use it as a GPS? Does Google Maps work overseas and is that the best application to use as a GPS?

Thanks.
    04-22-09 03:21 AM
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm going to St. Martin next month. I don't have an international plan, but does it cost to use the GPS function internationally?

Thanks!!
    04-22-09 03:40 AM
    It will work, but it uses the data connection. I am here in Canada, and it costs us $50/mb of data overseas.

You might want to contact your provider to see what data rates cost.

Otherwise, i have used it abroad, and it works fine.
    04-22-09 03:50 AM
    woooow ..... 50/mb that one way to go broke
    04-22-09 04:09 AM
    I'll just bring the Garmin! No need to get charged!
    04-22-09 04:11 AM
    I don't know what the GPS has to do with the data plan, thought the GPS 'radio' just received its signal from satellite's. Why is it dependent on the data plan?

Regardless, I've been to Japan (with data) and Google Maps could not find my location. Could've been me not having something set right, like having GPS on at the time. Heading to Taiwan next month, will be trying again

*EDIT* Argh!! Opera Mini is a pain sometimes. Made an edit already, but opera tried to go to a URL instead. No data = no background/map images. But it will locate

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Craterz; 04-22-09 at 06:24 AM.
    04-22-09 06:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD