Hi, I've just upgraded from the 8110 to the Bold, and loving it!
    As I have a wireless network at home, I've set up my Bold to connect to this network.

My question is, do I have to have the browser default set to "Hotspot Browser" (Options>Advance Options>Browser>Default browser configuration) to ensure I am connecting to the internet via Wifi? Or will it automatically connect to the internet via Wifi when I am connected to the wireless network with the browser default set to "BlackBerry Browser"?

I've been told that if the network connect icon at the top is only the white Wifi symbol, rather than the phone network signal symbol then this means that you are connected to the internet by wifi and not the mobile phone network, irrespective of what the default browser setting is. Is this correct?
    04-21-09 06:48 PM
    To tell you the truth I have never messed with the browser settings. So when my wifi is connected, I get the white-filled wifi logo at the top right corner of my browser. Works fine for me.
    04-21-09 06:52 PM
    Hi, I've just upgraded from the 8110 to the Bold, and loving it!
    As I have a wireless network at home, I've set up my Bold to connect to this network.

My question is, do I have to have the browser default set to "Hotspot Browser" (Options>Advance Options>Browser>Default browser configuration) to ensure I am connecting to the internet via Wifi? Or will it automatically connect to the internet via Wifi when I am connected to the wireless network with the browser default set to "BlackBerry Browser"?

I've been told that if the network connect icon at the top is only the white Wifi symbol, rather than the phone network signal symbol then this means that you are connected to the internet by wifi and not the mobile phone network, irrespective of what the default browser setting is. Is this correct?
    with your browser set to internet browser your Bold will use the fastest connection available which is WiFi when you're connected to it..you dont have to change anything
    you are right when it comes to the wifi icon when you are browsing
    04-21-09 07:15 PM
    If I turn on wifi my bold connects via wifi without needing to change the browser settings.

You can easily check it by installing the free xlabs speedtest.

I get about 300Kbits without the wifi on, and 900Kbits with the wifi on.
    04-21-09 07:18 PM
    I am sure that I have always read that you need to be on the hotspot browser to truly be using wifi. I just turned off my radio and am posting this using the internet browser. I suppose if it posts then it's true that you can use wifi with the browser set to "internet browser".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 07:31 PM
    Odd. While the above was posting my wifi indicator greyed out for about one minute but came back on and the post went through. Anyone have any additional thoughts?

04-21-09 07:33 PM
    You only need the hotspot browser if you are running something that will get messed up by having traffic routed through RIM's servers (which most things won't).
    04-21-09 07:42 PM
    Hey papped. Thanks for that. Any way to know what that something might be? Or will it be evident when it happens. Still posting using the internet browser on, wifi on and the radio off.

04-21-09 07:47 PM
    For example say you are trying to access something that only allows access from certain ip's or requires knowing what client is trying to connect.

Going through a proxy will bork that obviously. Most people don't do much of this type of thing though.
    04-21-09 07:50 PM
    ^ or if you're cheap like me and don't want to pay for a data plan because everywhere you need to use the phone you're within a WiFi zone...
    04-23-09 07:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD