I just downloaded the latest version of BerryWeather a few of days ago and ever since, my battery is almost dead each day by 3 or 4 PM. Nothing else has changed. Before this, I would get 2 days out of my battery and that was with WeatherBug running (doing 30 minute updates). I do have the BerryWeather set to update every 30 minutes as well. I'm going to change it to every hour and see if that helps, but I don't understand why this app would kill my battery in less than half the time WeatherBug did. If any of you ever followed some of the WeatherBug threads, many people complained of memory leaks and location updating issues, while many others had no problems at all. Is it possible that installing an app on the Storm can go "good" one time and "not so good" another? I guess I'm wondering if I should uninstall/re-install WeatherBerry to see if that helps?

Your thoughts or suggestions are appreciated,

Grey
    04-21-09 01:19 PM
    I saw poor battery life while using BerryWeather on .122 as well. However, it wasn't as bad as the memory leak...I uninstalled it and went back to weatherbug for now.
    04-21-09 02:31 PM
    seeing bad battery life myself even while the phone is idle, overnight. I have it set to update every 1.5 hours so it should not be an issue. But it is. Somehow, it is draining the battery. I wish I would have noticed this before I laid out ten bucks.
    04-21-09 02:36 PM
    After installing BerryWeather I've noticed that I do have slightly less battery life. I would usually go down to about 3/4 battery by the end of the day prior to downloading it. Now it goes down to about 1/2 .... not significantly worse, but it is noticeable...
    04-21-09 02:37 PM
    I haven't had nearly the significant battery drain that I had with weatherbug. WeatherBerry was something of an improvement - for me anyway. I don't always leave it on, though...perfectly happy to check the weather and then exit the program.
    04-21-09 02:39 PM
    I have noticed the drain too. I contacted support and was told that it doesnt drain battery. I have it update every 3 hours.
    04-21-09 03:02 PM
    I changed my BerryWeather to update every 3 hours and I recently upgraded to the 5.0/.131/.122 hybrid which seems much better. I really like BerryWeather so I'm going to stick with it even though I've noticed quite a battery/memory drain ever since purchasing it..
    04-21-09 03:26 PM
    I'm going to have to go back to WeatherBug until they get this fixed. I really like the function and look of this app, but the battery drain is too significant. Only having my phone for 1/2 to 3/4 of a day because of one application is unacceptable. I did email them about this, so I'll update this thread when they respond. I suggest any of you with this problem email them as well. You can do it from the options button while the app is up.

Grey
    04-21-09 05:05 PM
    Same here. Horrible battery drain. Had to delete it. Hope they get this fixed soon. It is a nice weather app.
    04-21-09 05:33 PM
    I haven't noticed a change in my battery usage. I have my updating every hour. I also close out the app at night before going to bed.
    04-21-09 07:15 PM
    Mine updates every 30 min and I havent noticed a difference.
    04-21-09 07:20 PM
    Mine updates every 30 min and I havent noticed a difference.
    That makes me wonder if installing identical software on identical phones can somehow produce different results. As I said earlier, I know of many people who have memory leaks after installing WeatherBug, and many others who do not. You say that you have no noticeable battery drain, but I know that BerryWeather drains by battery dead in less than 7 hours. Why the different results?

Grey
    04-21-09 09:48 PM
    I just got an email informing me of a newer version being available...v13.14. Let's see if this one makes a difference!
    04-21-09 09:54 PM
    I just got an email informing me of a newer version being available...v13.14. Let's see if this one makes a difference!
    Can you post a link? I got no email about an update, and I'd love to try it and see the difference...much TIA!
    04-21-09 10:13 PM
    I run BerryWeather AND Weatherbug together, set to update every 30 minutes. I don't have any problems.

I have QuickPull set for 1 am daily, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Just saying.
    04-21-09 10:14 PM
    The email I got was for Meterberry, not BerryWeather. Screwed that one up, must be getting old!

Sorry!
    04-21-09 11:09 PM
    ...must be getting old!
    You and me both...

No worries, thx!
    04-22-09 07:53 AM
    No significant or insignificant battery drain from WeatherBerry. May be your leaked OS and not the app?
    04-22-09 10:14 AM
    No significant or insignificant battery drain from WeatherBerry. May be your leaked OS and not the app?
    I'm no software guru, but from what I've experienced, it doesn't seem likely to be tied to my OS. Previously, my battery would run for 36 to 48 hours, for 2 weeks straight, after installing .122 (before installing BerryWeather on the phone). After installing BerryWeather, it would drain completely in 6 to 8 hours for 4 days straight. Last night, I removed BerryWeather, went back to WeatherBug, unplugged my phone from the charger at 6:30 AM and now, 7 hours later, my battery is still 85% charged, and I've been listening to an audiobook on my PodTrapper app all day,as well as sending emails and making phone calls. It makes no sense that based on what has occurred, this is in any way related to an OS version.

Grey
    04-22-09 12:41 PM
    The reason BerryWeather drains the battery so fast is because it never shuts off. You actually have to hit shut down in the options screen otherwise it will always be running in the backround, and if you hit shutdown, your homescreen will switch to the berryweather icon and will no longer show you the weather, unlike WB.
    04-23-09 08:03 AM
    So, what's the point of having BW if you have to "Shut Down"?
    04-23-09 08:59 AM
    Wow, I have no idea what your battery is doing. My battery runs a minimum of 24 hours before charging. Weatherbug, BBWeather and now BerryWeather really have had no impact on my Storm with battery usage. memory, yes, they all acted different. Oh well ....
    04-23-09 11:42 AM
    Just uninstalled BerryWeather because it was just sucking up my battery at 7-8%/hr as compared with when it is uninstalled 2-3%. Just unacceptable. What's the point of knowing what the weather is if you don't have enough juice to make a phone call - back to weatherbug, although not seeing mem leaks with wb.

EDIT: Just looking through the posts I see that those with 0.75/0.76 seem to be having no/ess issues, certainly not a scientific assessment, but maybe an OS issue? Certainly not going back to 0.75 just to run BerryWeather if true.
    Last edited by ab345; 04-27-09 at 09:35 PM.
    04-27-09 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD