Thanks to MaxdMerc for bringing the following to our attention in another thread. Surprisingly it never gained any traction there, so I decided to start a new thread.

"Hi

clossie is right - at the moment the apps can only be stored on the device memory. The great news is that the upcoming firmware release will change this and allow you to store apps on the removable storage. Keep an eye on the forum for the release (as we can't ever give timescales for firmware)

Have a great weekend smile.gif

Cheers

J
    eForum Team"

--------------------------------------
    Lets hope that "J" of the Vodafone e-forum team is correct in what he is saying about the applications..... that will save us some memory...
    Link to Vodafone thread: Apps Default Storge - Vodafone eForum

My jaw dropped when I first read this. Did a Vodafone rep (eForum Team Admin) let the cat out of the bag about a HUGE upcoming new feature? I know VZW reps don't have any credibility on this forum, but I'm not familiar with where Voda reps (especially eForum Admins) stand. What's their credibility like?

Of course, after dealing with RIM's peculiar (and stubborn) sense of logic (or lack thereof) for many years, the skeptical voice within me keeps shouting: STORE apps on media card, NOT RUN apps from media card.

I guess it would be a welcome change either way...
    04-20-09 04:40 PM
    Yeah, I'm interested to see how this might unfold. This might just be speculation but I hope they are aiming at something. Maybe something will be announced at WES?
    04-20-09 04:43 PM
    i really could care less about using the media card.. Just merge the 128mb of app memory with the 870mb of "media" memory to give us 1gb of APP MEMORY FFS!!! lmao
    04-20-09 04:53 PM
    Just give it a little time. If Crucial, Radio, or Sith can comment on this without violating their respective NDA's, they will. And the nice thing is, is that if they don't deny it, odds are there's SOMETHING in the works along those lines.
    04-20-09 04:56 PM
    Yeah, but I wonder if that can be done without affecting the performance of the OS. I don't know much about programming though but it just seems difficult.
    04-20-09 04:58 PM
    WOW, this is huge news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    04-20-09 04:59 PM
    maybe thats the big thing in 5.0... but really i don't have anything on the 800+mb of media memory(waste of space) and having that for its app memory would be fan-friggin-tastic.. it would take along time to mem leak out of 1gb instead of 35-40mb hehe
    04-20-09 04:59 PM
    Just give it a little time. If Crucial, Radio, or Sith can comment on this without violating their respective NDA's, they will. And the nice thing is, is that if they don't deny it, odds are there's SOMETHING in the works along those lines.
    Good point. I dunno why but I have a gut feeling that something is coming that will benefit the memory issues.
    04-20-09 05:00 PM
    might speed up the storm a bit too if they can dedicate that new memory to something ... idk .. else lol .
    04-20-09 05:01 PM
    Yeah, but I wonder if that can be done without affecting the performance of the OS. I don't know much about programming though but it just seems difficult.
    Wouldn't affect performance in any way really. The confusion comes largely from app memory having properties of both memory AND storage.
    04-20-09 05:05 PM
    wouldnt it be better if they also let us run it on the device memory? We have 1 gig of flash memory, wouldnt that be faster than running programs off of a memory card?
    04-20-09 05:06 PM
    i really could care less about using the media card.. Just merge the 128mb of app memory with the 870mb of "media" memory to give us 1gb of APP MEMORY FFS!!! lmao
    Ah, like a windows page file?
    04-20-09 05:06 PM
    Yeah, I think I'd prefer they set it up to run on device memory. I'd like to keep my memory card for things like pictures and videos. 1gb seems like plenty for apps and memory. Just as long as they can implement it correctly.

Now that I think about it, if there's 1gb of internal memory now, 45-55mb of memory is set off for apps, and the OS only takes about 150-250mb (if it's what it indicates on the PC download of the exe), then where is the remaining 700 or so mb? Is it just there for storing media? That's a lot of space that can be used for just apps/memory.
    04-20-09 05:11 PM
    I would be fine with just 512 actually lol
    04-20-09 05:11 PM
    Patiently waiting for the confirmation... Or atleast hints of it. It'd be brilliant!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-09 05:12 PM
    I second this. I don't want to be able to load apps on my memory card. I WANT the above!!!
    04-20-09 05:14 PM
    I think that the plan almost has to incorporate memory cards to accomodate the older devices. Outside of the Bold, an Storm those older devices couldn't keep up.
    04-20-09 05:23 PM
    Very interesting news!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-09 05:24 PM
    My gut feeling says that storing apps on a memory card would be akin to the MyWorld feature of the BB App World: backup purposes. I seriously doubt RIM will allow the running of apps from a memory card.

Having the entire 1 GB available for app memory (OS + apps) would certainly be sweet but unlikely IMO. Instead I think we'll probably get 512 MB for app memory and the rest for storage. Why? Because a company like VZW would make such a demand, and a company like RIM would happily comply. Why rush to 1 GB before the Storm 3?
    04-20-09 05:29 PM
    I think that the plan almost has to incorporate memory cards to accomodate the older devices. Outside of the Bold, an Storm those older devices couldn't keep up.
    OK, it's agreed then. 1GB of onboard for OS and apps, whatever + the media card for app loads if you feel like it.

See RIM, that wasn't so hard. Now send the engineers off to make it happen while we EXECs go have some lunch.
    04-20-09 05:31 PM
    what if they were to set up a system, where you could store the app on the memory card, and install it from there. You still wouldn't be able to have 1000 installed at one time, but it would allow you faster access to your apps. I love google maps, but I don't use it every day, or even every couple of days. I could store it in a zipped up form on the memory card and when I want to use it again, just fold up a different app and store it on the memory. Just a thought. Would be better than having to delete apps to make room and then download the apps again from Appworld. Or CB.
    Last edited by Valace2; 04-20-09 at 05:43 PM.
    04-20-09 05:35 PM
    If this were true it would kind of make the Storm 2 pointless. Outside of WIFI what else needs to be done?
    04-20-09 05:36 PM
    Coming from a Treo...this was a very nice part about how they worked. You could store all you wanted on removable memory and run them there too. I install most all apps on the removable storage card and very few things on the actually device itself.
    04-20-09 05:41 PM
    If this were true it would kind of make the Storm 2 pointless. Outside of WIFI what else needs to be done?
    Seamless screen in handset/better click mechanism. Something along the lines of the main button on iPhone/iTouch.
    04-20-09 05:42 PM
    OK, it's agreed then. 1GB of onboard for OS and apps, whatever + the media card for app loads if you feel like it.

See RIM, that wasn't so hard. Now send the engineers off to make it happen while we EXECs go have some lunch.
    I agree! This would be GREAT.
    04-20-09 05:43 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD