Hey everyone, I've been reading the forums for a while, but finally decided to get registered on here. I currently have a Curve 8330 and was thinking about upgrading to the Storm. I've found an abundance of hatred for the Storm here, but also plenty of people who say that the issues are perfectly tolerable.
    My question is this: What's a normal day like for Storm owners that fit into these two extremes? How often does it really crash, require battery-pulls, or do any of the other countless, annoying things posted about here?
    04-15-09 06:36 PM
    depends on what software you are running. I am using the .122/5.0 hybrid and have no issues what so ever. No random reboots, no freezes, batt pull every 3 days or so when there is a slight keyboard lag, but thats the only real issue i have
    04-15-09 06:41 PM
    Mine never crashes. I may have had one freeze up since upgrading to .113 and then .122 weeks ago. It is very stable, quick, responsive etc. I love my storm and it is the best phone I have ever had. I rarely do a battery pull and only when i feel like it not because i have to. I dont really experience keyboard lag either...everything is really good. Just my opinion...
    04-15-09 06:45 PM
    depends on what software you are running. I am using the .122/5.0 hybrid and have no issues what so ever. No random reboots, no freezes, batt pull every 3 days or so when there is a slight keyboard lag, but thats the only real issue i have
    Ditto, except I'm running the 3.5 hybrid.
    04-15-09 06:45 PM
    real stable for me only an occasional battery pull. typing has a learning curve but then again thats for all touch-screen phones. have had it for about three months now and loving it
    04-15-09 06:59 PM
    On .75 still. I have to use the Battery Pull app about once a day to keep it running smoothly. No other real complaints from me.

My normal day consists of pulling out my phone and watching people drool over it wanting to play with it. I walk around taking pictures of all the IPhone users at my work and e-mail them out of spite.
    04-15-09 07:04 PM
    It has been superb for me. I'll pull the battery every other day to get the memory back up but its been as solid as I could have expected.
    04-15-09 07:04 PM
    On .75 still. I have to use the Battery Pull app about once a day to keep it running smoothly. No other real complaints from me.

My normal day consists of pulling out my phone and watching people drool over it wanting to play with it. I walk around taking pictures of all the IPhone users at my work and e-mail them out of spite.
    roflmao! You're a mean person. I love it.
    04-15-09 07:05 PM
    Ditto, except I'm running the 3.5 hybrid.
    After reading some of the posts on here regarding different OS versions, it seems like .113 and .122 are the most stable ones, correct? Also, some users have stated that different versions work even worse than .75 for them. Would you attribute this to typical "moodiness(based on varying component tolerances)" of electronic devices, or does the Storm appear to take that a step further?
    04-15-09 07:16 PM
    yes go with either .109, .113, or .122..... and i dont know enough about the other question to give a definitive answer, each update has performed better than what people here claim they have issues with (never had the MMS issue people describe)
    04-15-09 07:23 PM
    Day in the life of my storm:

9am: start browsing crackberry and blackberryforums.com... Check local news/weather

10am: start a game of parking lot or word mole or flight path to kill time when there is downtime.

12pm: lunch time

1:30pm: get back from lunch.

1:50-4:30pm: intermittent use to browse and/or work on notes/calendar/to do list when time allows.

After 5pm: use navigation programs/google maps to get around.

I get some pretty solid use out of my storm every day. I am currently running .122

Love the storm... Little lag, love all the features... Very little to no memory leak.
    04-15-09 07:58 PM
    Well this is how I start..It automatically shuts off at 2:00am. Than turns on at 7:00am..alarm goes off at 7:30am..I checked my calendar to see what's up for the day( def use the calendar its so time efficient)..while in class usually check emails,facebook and twitter..I download sick games to play when the lesson is boring..around 2:00pm I work out using the music media (I love how I can save all my music into my phone) around 4:00pm I get home and charge it..battery drains like crazy..than the rest of the night I go out to clubs partys and not only to show my killer dancing skills also my kick *** phone..oh did I mention this phone is my life..thank god for the blackberry storm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 10:11 PM
    I shut off mine every night at 11 (unless I stay up late and turn it back on). It powers on at 6:00 and then runs a Quickpull 10 minutes later. Alarm goes off at 6:30. I use the music player or Pandora on the commute to school, answer emails, trade SMS, make occasional short phone calls (cell users on public transportation irritates me).

I use my phone all day during school to access several handbooks and drug information databases. I surf the web for some things. I keep Twitter up to date and I get Facebook updates. Oh sometimes classmates using their PCs want some information via Live Messenger. I keep it running for those folks.

I hardly ever have to do a battery pull during the day and I have no more random resets. Running .113. Battery life is decent. I can come home at the end of the day with 60% battery - unless I spend a lot of time in a Dead Zone (and there are several prominent ones at school). I disable the radio if I go into SOS.

This phone (not just typing) had a learning curve. I wouldn't do without it now.
    04-15-09 10:43 PM
    Ditto 100% the 5.0 will be exciting to see. I pray that it isn't 2010.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 11:11 PM
    i'm on my storm all day, like i'm sure many other BlackBerry guys here are too, i'm constantly texting, emailing, on the phone, taking pictures, showing clients pictures of past ice sculptures, and other misc reasons, i run .114 3.5v hybrid, and do a battery pull whenever it crosses my mind, which is usually only a few times a week...i've been incredibly happy with this phone, though i look forward to any improvements that come our way, people seem to think there is room for expansion of the OS, so can't wait to see what comes available.

As for hearing mostly bad things on this forum about the storm, one thing you need to remember, in the customer service world they say; "for every upset customer, they are likely to tell atleast 10 people about their bad experience, and for every happy customer, they are likely to tell only 2 or 3 people"
    04-16-09 03:35 AM

Haha legend
    04-16-09 03:41 AM
    Hey everyone, I've been reading the forums for a while, but finally decided to get registered on here. I currently have a Curve 8330 and was thinking about upgrading to the Storm. I've found an abundance of hatred for the Storm here, but also plenty of people who say that the issues are perfectly tolerable.
    My question is this: What's a normal day like for Storm owners that fit into these two extremes? How often does it really crash, require battery-pulls, or do any of the other countless, annoying things posted about here?
    I guess I'm lucky. Here's my day:

-Wake up via my alarm on my Storm.
    -Shower, get dressed for work, check any emails, messages, etc I got overnight and check up on CNN.com and WSJ.com for latest news.
    -Check weather on Weatherbug.
    -If I need gas, use Where to find out which of the many gas stations I drive by has the cheapest gas on the way to work.
    -If I need to make any calls, I'll make them in my car, phone always works flawlessly with my bluetooth stack in my car.
    -At work I'll just use it occasionally to send emails, check facebook, update my twitter, whatever.
    -Sometimes when I'm bored I'll listen to my playlists on my Storm or play labyrinth to pass the time or send useless BBM's to multiple people.
    -Drive home, see if any cool apps are available (about 99% of the time the answer to that question is no, when I try finding a cool game that my roommate has on his iPhone I find that it usually is on AppWorld...then I realize that it was made for all Blackberries so the graphics are comparable to that of an Atari game). Any app I would be interested in, I find is about $10 so I lawlz and move on to just taking my roommate's iPhone and playing some mundane game on that to pass the time.

I never have to do any battery pulls or anything, the last time I did one was after I installed .113. Only time the phone resets is when I download an update to an app or delete an app and it requires me to reboot to complete installation/uninstall. The phone never lags (trust me I'm not ******** I can tell when my phone is sucking....my other roommate has a Storm too with .113 and if I had that phone I'd of thrown it through a wall months ago).

Only thing it'll do that'll tick me off is sometimes it won't feel like finding GPS satellites. This rarely happens though. Since I've owned the phone (since the day it came out) it has happened maybe 3-5 times.
    04-16-09 01:01 PM
    The only daily thing I do that hints at any of the issues people complain about here is a Quick Pull each morning. I just do it for maintenance, not because it is performing badly; on vacation last week I didn't do a Quick Pull for three days straight and it was performing fine, I was just down to 9 MB of memory. That was with very heavy use, too.

I don't have issues with crashing, random reboots, etc. I just switched to the 122 OS last night so that may change, but prior to that I was on the 114 v1 hybrid by bbcrackman since it came out and had no frrezes, random reboots, etc etc.

I guess the only thing that annoys me on a regular basis is AIM. For some stupid reason if I leave a convo open and the screen dims, it'll sometimes freeze my BB. But I blame AIM for that.
    04-16-09 01:17 PM
    6 am take it off the charger and pull the batt. run through the news and emails, check weather and traffic. start up slacker or other store music for the drive continuing with more email and txt and a look over at twitter lol and by noon my batt. is @ 70-ish % i plug it for some juice much more emailing through the day although i could use my computer to respond to emails my bb has grown on me and i find it more convenient if there is down time i keep a bunch of episodes of the office (video4blackberry.info) and between poynt and yellowpages i have been able to find anything quick and easy i mean its not perfect but i think it works well..for me, one pull a day keeps the doctor away
    04-16-09 03:51 PM
    My family moved to bb together. My sister, my brother, and I each got a storm about a month ago and our experiences couldn't be more different.

My sister uses her storm mainly as a phone and camera. She has at least one problem every day. Yesterday, her email stopped receiving while the rest of the phone worked fine. It took several hours to realize this problem. She plans to return the storm.

My brother uses his storm mainly to conduct business. He loves every aspect of it. He's had no problems.

I use the storm for business and personal, loved it at first but the little annoyances (i.e. non-sync with gmail, slow camera, short battery life, only one alarm clock, etc.) are starting to take their toll. My phone died overnight so the alarm didn't go off. Imagine explaining that reason for being late to your boss. I'm keeping the storm and hoping the next upgrade will be worthwhile.
    04-28-09 12:09 PM
    My day: spend 1/2 of each hour browsing
    Battery pulls/freezes: very rare maybe 1 per week
    Run quickpull daily @ 4am
    Being an airport cabbie: let's me feed my addiction.
    Lol.
    04-28-09 12:33 PM
    7:00am: Wait 30 minutes for phone to boot up.

7:31am: Pull battery (for good measure)

8:00am: Check CB

8:03am: waiting for CB to load

8:05am: still waiting for CB to load

8:08am: CB loads

8:09am: Find interesting thread/click it

8:12am: waiting for thread to load

8:15am: still waiting

8:17am: thread loads (begin reading)

9:17am: after 1 hour and swiping 3,412 times to read. Want to reply

9:18am: after accidently zooming 3 times finally click "reply"

9:20am: waiting for reply to load

9:22am: still waiting

9:23am: "reply" loads. begin typing

9:24am: still typing but due to lag and auto correct its taking time.

9:26am: typed a few words out

9:30am: waiting for lag to catch up to typing

9:32am: lag catches up. many errors. auto correct has made reply unreadable.

9:40am: after many curse words. Reply is finished. It's perfect. hit submit

9:41am: hourglass appears. I panic...

9:42am: phone reboots

10:00am: still waiting for phone to boot up. Take shower.

10:15am: Done with shower. Phone has booted up. Notice something on screen.

10:16am: after cleaning screen realize it's dust. Call customer service.

10:17am: place call to customer service. Rep complains I sound garbled. Lose patience and hang up.

10:18am: call back customer service. Talk to nice rep. On my way to getting refurb. Hear silence. take phone away from ear. hourglass.

10:19am: reboot

10:30am: still waiting for phone to reboot. Having suicidal thoughts.

10:31am: take bottle of valium out of medicine cabinet. count out 15 pills.

10:32am: fill glass with water. contemplate my demise.

10:35am: surprise. phone booted up quickly. maybe I will live another day.

10:36am: put pills back. throw water down the drain.

10:37am: hear alert. It's BBM. Girlfriend messengering me. Very happy.

10:38am: open BBM. hourglass.

10:39am: reboot

10:40am: jump off balcony. forgot I was on first floor.
    04-28-09 01:39 PM
    *snip for very long post*

10:38am: open BBM. hourglass.

10:39am: reboot

10:40am: jump off balcony. forgot I was on first floor.
    Wow, I didn't know your 8330 requires you to do such work. Maybe you should upgrade to a Storm! I don't see any of the Storm users before you posting issues like that happening.

04-28-09 02:30 PM
    I'm running the Bell official .122 release and I'm not experiencing any freezes or random reboots. The phone works almost perfectly! The only problems I really have are the memory leaking and the whole memory card needing to be manually indexed thing. Other than that I've found no problems. I generally do a reset every day or two just to "freshen" things up, but nothing unplanned.

As for how I use it, I usually use the phone in some for or another about 5 hours out of the day, mostly for email, texting, web browsing, taking pictures, a few games, and music/video. Haven't been making that many phone calls lately, but usually about four of those per day, sometimes more.
    04-28-09 02:42 PM
    I don't see any of the Storm users before you posting issues like that happening.
    Thats because we are all reading this with our mouths open surprised at people actually getting this piece of [deleted] to work. I'm not using my blackberry to post this because I have other things to do than wait for it to work and try to post while it reboots.

The only disagreement I have with cereals post is that it will be my phone that takes the trip off the balcony. Somehow I think that will feel very good. Hey maybe it will help it!

Looks like to me the only ones that get the thing to work spend all day on the forum/trying new guinea pig operating systems hoping one will work. I dont have 40 hours to do RIM's job. So the other 99% of users are dealing with .75 and have been for the last 4+ months. That is wrong by any account.
    04-28-09 02:54 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD