I don't mean to be rude, but I have the BB Storm for Verizon and I can't stand it. I am a new BB user, I got the Storm about a week after it came out. Everything I heard about BB's was positive for personal and the business professional. But what I discovered is that the Storm doesn't do half the things my Treo 680 (running Palm OS) did out of the box. I'm trying to be positive, especially since I have 1 1/2 years remaining on my contract but I'm running out of gas. Some of my troubles, not the least of which are that Verizon/BB REFUSE to put out an official OS release. I find myself going to the Verizon store and having them do it. I currently have .113. Works better than .009...maybe. Can anyone help with these: 1. I cant color code different appointment in the calendar. 2. How do you/can you have different threads for sms/mms messages? I find myself replying to the wrong person because everything is in the same window. 3. Is there a sent box for email/sms? Everything seems to end up in the same place. Why doesn't the BB email work like/look like the one on all our computers? 4. Is there a way to have the tasks show in the calender without having to assign a date and time. I don't need a time to get my dry cleaning, I just need to know I need to get it. 5. Is there any auto responder for rejected calls. My Treo had predefined, as well as user defined text messages that you could send to a caller you sent to voice mail. The few semi solutions I've found seem to be theme dependent. I don't mean to bag and maybe I'm looking for the Storm to do what my Treo did, which I realize isn't fair. But I am looking for a certain amount of functionality that I became use to with my Treo that I think should be on any BB. if anyone can help.....please do.
    04-14-09 07:29 PM
    Treo and BB are different animals. Probably should have done more research before your purchase because most everything you listed will not work like the Treo did and you wont be able to change it. Alot of people agree about the threaded SMS but that is just not going to happen
    04-14-09 07:37 PM
    Hard to read.
    04-14-09 07:42 PM
    Moved to Rants and Raves forum
    04-14-09 07:45 PM
    Wow..You can't even tolerate .103? I mean I have fallen in love with the phone after that particular upgrade. Sorry dude...
    04-14-09 07:48 PM
    yeah It's really hard to read.

Mods please delete this!
    04-14-09 07:48 PM
    most of the things you mentioned are settings. maybe read the storm tips and tricks thread. i color code the calendar by using different e-mails. each email address you add to the storm has its own calendar and color. you can use free yahoo addresses. i use 1 for personal...and several different emails for different clients.
    04-14-09 07:58 PM
    LOL funny. I had VZW send me a replacement Treo and then bought the storm a week later. (In December) I was feed up with the Treo and GAVE it away to our IT guy. Yes, I like him but now that I look back on it, I was evil to give him such a POS. He ditched it after a couple of weeks and now has a Curve.
    04-14-09 08:04 PM
    Since I'm with the rest of the "hard to read" people... I'll just ask what you're bothering to tell us for. You want your Treo back, fine, send your Storm back and start using your Treo again. What do we need to hear about it for?
    04-14-09 08:10 PM
    I didn't read it at all but you can have my Treo too. Haven't even turned it on since 11.21.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-09 08:24 PM
    Send me ur storm and ill send u a crappy treo

04-14-09 08:28 PM
    You can have my old one. It sucks major. 700P all yours.

04-14-09 08:34 PM
    lol I miss my Treo also. I am however trying to find the love for this BB storm. It is rather pretty. I think its just the fear of the unknown and change is pretty hard sometimes. Have an open mind to all things blackberry and have been surfing threads trying to figure out how to make this thing my bestfriend. it will get better.
    04-14-09 08:44 PM
    I couldn't read your whole post, hard to read as some others have said. Sounds like you just need to take some honest time to LEARN HOW YOUR STORM WORKS!! But if you have no patience, then go get you a Treo buddy. Good luck with that POS. I gave my Treo to my wife a looooong time ago, then I bought both of us Storms. The Treo is our back-up if one of our Storms gets trashed and we have to wait for a replacement.
    04-14-09 09:06 PM
    It doesn't matter what you write on here - you are going to get destroyed. These forums are filled with mindless drones who worship at the feet of RIM. I am convinced RIM could produce a pile of **** and call it the 9650 and people would say it's the greatest device on the market.

I get your post. The Storm sucks.
    04-14-09 09:22 PM
    Since I'm with the rest of the "hard to read" people... I'll just ask what you're bothering to tell us for. You want your Treo back, fine, send your Storm back and start using your Treo again. What do we need to hear about it for?
    Why do we even need these forums, then?

04-15-09 03:03 AM
    It doesn't matter what you write on here - you are going to get destroyed. These forums are filled with mindless drones who worship at the feet of RIM. I am convinced RIM could produce a pile of **** and call it the 9650 and people would say it's the greatest device on the market.

I get your post. The Storm sucks.
    So true...

Additionally, I would never ever recommend the Storm to anyone who's a first time blackberry user. That's just asking for an unhappy user.

Side note, I'm a little suprised RIM hasn't incorporated most of the things the OP mentioned in his/hers rant by now. My treo from 2003 had all that crap standard.
    04-15-09 03:33 AM
    I started with the Palm QCP6035 back in the day and switched from Treos to the Storm. I made the decision after discovering the failed decision Palm has decided to go with the PRE. Cheaply made and not much a giant leap that most of us Treo fans were expecting. I enjoyed my Treo and wasn't interested in switching until our company was contacted by BB to demo the Curve and the Storm. I really enjoyed my Treo, did everything I needed and boy was it a durable well made phone. Although the Storm is no comparison, and it took awhile to get used to the keyboard, there is alot that the Storm can do better. But, I agree with a little, I miss my Treo as well.
    04-15-09 09:05 AM
    Old Palm guy here too.

I'll venture to say that it is hard to come from Palm to BlackBerry, harder still to go directly to a Storm (and I am a BlackBerry fan, BTW).

While I am not a fan of the Storm, it isn't a completely horrendous device; it has some rough edges, but overall, I think the Storm, can be superior to any Treo if you let it.

When I first switched to BlackBerry, I moaned and groaned to high heavens, till I got used to BB. Honestly, even though I may get rocks thrown at me, if I had started with the Storm, I would have gone back quickly.

Thankfully, I had a Curve before trying out the Storm, so I stuck with the device that worked for me.
    04-15-09 09:17 AM
    I miss my Treo too. Have only had my Storm for about 2 weeks. I'm still learning some tricks, but IMHO that this phone is more geared towards business and comparing it to the iphone or even the Treo is not fair. There are things that my treo did WAY better than this Storm, and not just sms, video, and tasks. I never had to remove my battery because it was on for too long and ran out of memory, what the heck is that??? Pretty sad. Oh, and btw I was talking about my Treo 650 that came out in what, '05. This is pretty, but besides that I'm not impressed.
    04-15-09 10:15 AM
    The only thing a Treo does better is SMS. Everything else....music, video, internet browsing etc, the storm kicks the treos *** up down and sideways. I used a Treo for 3 years previously with many hacks/themes/etc also so its not like i didnt optimize it the best i could.

I would NEVER go back though
    04-15-09 10:34 AM

Additionally, I would never ever recommend the Storm to anyone who's a first time blackberry user. That's just asking for an unhappy user.
    Not necessarily true. I jumped directly to a Storm as my first BB. I have had it since January and I still love it. Best phone I've ever had by FAR!
    04-15-09 10:44 AM
    I don't mean to be rude, but I have the BB Storm for Verizon and I can't stand it. I am a new BB user, I got the Storm about a week after it came out. Everything I heard about BB's was positive for personal and the business professional. But what I discovered is that the Storm doesn't do half the things my Treo 680 (running Palm OS) did out of the box. I'm trying to be positive, especially since I have 1 1/2 years remaining on my contract but I'm running out of gas. Some of my troubles, not the least of which are that Verizon/BB REFUSE to put out an official OS release. I find myself going to the Verizon store and having them do it. I currently have .113. Works better than .009...maybe. Can anyone help with these: 1. I cant color code different appointment in the calendar. 2. How do you/can you have different threads for sms/mms messages? I find myself replying to the wrong person because everything is in the same window. 3. Is there a sent box for email/sms? Everything seems to end up in the same place. Why doesn't the BB email work like/look like the one on all our computers? 4. Is there a way to have the tasks show in the calender without having to assign a date and time. I don't need a time to get my dry cleaning, I just need to know I need to get it. 5. Is there any auto responder for rejected calls. My Treo had predefined, as well as user defined text messages that you could send to a caller you sent to voice mail. The few semi solutions I've found seem to be theme dependent. I don't mean to bag and maybe I'm looking for the Storm to do what my Treo did, which I realize isn't fair. But I am looking for a certain amount of functionality that I became use to with my Treo that I think should be on any BB. if anyone can help.....please do.
    Wow, the responses here are ridiculous - I wonder if the OP has even visited to read / review them. Sometimes, this topic (Rants&Raves) gets out of hand, sometimes the posts are crazy and pointless; But unlike the majority this one actually has thoughts to back it up (regardless of the "block" it was written in, which is a little hard to read).

I'll start my response with the fact that I am originally a Palm/Treo user. Before I got the Storm (the day it came out) I had the Curve. Since I've used BB, I have become fond of the way things work. But, I agree - there are things that you could do on a Palm device (btw, I had the 650 and 750p models) that aren't possible with the native applications on the Storm. Little things - that maybe I wouldn't jump to I want it back, but 'urk' me a bit.

0) Official releases and OS. This has been discussed, and yeah it isn't cool. We have to live with it though, because it was released (maybe) before it was supposed to be. Chalk one up for the marketing team. But, I've run the betas since .90ish, and I have found 113 to be the best (yes, I'm on 122 now). The phone is usable, and it does what it needs to do (and, I use the bejesus out of it as I'm in IT management).

1) Agreed. Color coding was helpful because I could separate personal stuff from outside dev stuff to mgmt stuff. Maybe a calender program, or maybe RIM will include it shortly. It's cool, helpful, but a small point overall (IMO).

2) Again, agreed, along with a vast number of other BB users. There are a few apps out there now, and a fair number of people pushing for it. For now, I use the search ability (touch, don't press on the recipients name in the SMS/MMS window) to organize by sender and quickly see multiple replies (it's an extra two seconds).

3) When in SMS, BB Button>View Folder>SMS (or MMS) Outbox. I found the search function (shortcut in #2 or BB Button>Search Sender) to work faster.

4) This is just something I got used to. Palm showed tasks at the top when you opened the calendar, now I just use them separately or just make appointments on the calendar and not use tasks at all.

5) I never used this on the Treo. I do, however, set up autotexts that when I reject a call, I go to the call log, select missed call, BB Button>SMS, and type (i.e.) "inmtg" and space, and it replaces it with "Sorry, I'm in a meeting...what's up?". Then, BB Button twice to send it off.

While the BB doesn't do everything (as listed) that the Treo did, there are a TON of other features on it that I would never return to the Treo for (e-mail accessability, media capabilities, HUGE screen, BB messenger (threaded).....)
    04-15-09 10:46 AM
    Why do we even need these forums, then?
    We don't really. This specific subforum anyway. It's been overrun with trolls anyway.

If someone has something CONSTRUCTIVE to say, and constructive doesn't mean it has to be positive, then I am all for it. If someone has some specific complaints about the Storm, and can leave the emotional baggage out of it, I am absolutely all for letting them post it here. I just grow tired of the emotional whines that can basically be summed up as, "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"
    04-15-09 11:02 AM
    good post by pi admin. congrats on deciphering the op's post.

where is othelo anyway? maybe he'll be pleasantly surprised to find that people actually do help if asked kindly.
    04-15-09 11:27 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD