Is there anything anyone has found that prevents dust behind the screen?

If you took your phone back to VZW for too much dust, how bad did you let it get before you took it back, and how did you deal with Verizon when you took it to them?

Mine is ok now, but its getting worse, and I've only had the phone for 2-3 weeks.

Thanks.
    04-13-09 03:17 PM
    Some storms have a bad seal and they will replace it. Mine is fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 03:19 PM
    If I call Verizon to send it back, should I downgrade the OS to .75 before mailing it back, or do they care?
    04-13-09 03:28 PM
    hey if you take care of your phone. you wont have dust. I have had mine in a pouch for 3 months nothing. I also clean it about 3 times a day to. I hate these threads about dust because you can prevent it.

04-13-09 03:30 PM
    I have had mine since January and I have no dust and I keep it in a hoodie pocket. I have no idea why so many people have troubles.

04-13-09 03:33 PM
    hey if you take care of your phone. you wont have dust. I have had mine in a pouch for 3 months nothing. I also clean it about 3 times a day to. I hate these threads about dust because you can prevent it.
    Not true at all. One of my Storms had dust under the glass when I opened the factory sealed box. Don't make stuff up just because you can''t wrap your head around an idea.
    04-13-09 03:53 PM
    I just got off the phone with customer service, I used the tech support option, and they said that they have never heard of the dust issue, and when I called a local store, they said that dust isn't a warranty replacement issue at all.

Should I call back and hope for a different service rep, or take it to a different store and see what happens? It would be nice to have it covered before I drive out since the closest store is 45 minutes away.

Thanks for all the help.
    04-13-09 04:05 PM
    Dust started accumulating in one of the corners of the screen after a couple of months. I waited until it was very easy to see and took it to a store. They told me I had to replace the phone through Verizon tech support over the phone (800-922-0204) since I was beyond my 30 days. They also told me they never heard of that issue before but sent me a replacement anyways.

I'd call them back - they should definitely replace it for you.

My new phone is now dust free but the corners don't click... Another replacement should be here Wednesday.
    04-13-09 04:15 PM
    It seems no rep has ever heard of the dust issue. I brought mine in just to show to a rep and he was very confused by it... He said I'd have to pay the $50 insurance for a new one since dust is considered damage on my part..... I didn't tell him that I already had my phone replaced for free due to dust...
    But I've given up caring about dust under my screen. I have a large amount at this point, but I'm already on my third Storm for other reasons and I don't want to risk another faulty device... this one works fine other than that one issue..
    04-13-09 04:18 PM

You hate these threads?

I had a storm that had tons of dust, so bad it blocked some of the text in messages. I got it replaced and now I've had this new phone for 2 1/2 months it doesn't have any dust. I didn't take care of the 2nd storm any differently then the first.

And to the OP I've heard some Verizon stores have some tools to clean it out for you and reseal it better, might want to call around.

P.S. Verizon CS told me that if you have a lot of dust under your screen they consider it a manufactures defect.
    04-13-09 04:22 PM
    The screen dust is a common issue from what I hear. I may have even heard of people actually getting replacements from Verizon. I for one, do have the same issue. Sorry if I offend stormsucks75 for not carrying my phone in a dainty little pouch. I work out in the environments, no clean little cubicle for me. I'm not bothered by the dust, don't think I ever had a cell phone or any like device that didn't get dust behind it's display. And if you hate these threads so much, don't read them. It was posted for a resolve, not a remark.
    04-13-09 04:23 PM
    Some storms have a bad seal and they will replace it. Mine is fine.

That sucks... I'm just jealous you guys all have those awesome phones, and I'm still on an 8330 lol.
    04-13-09 05:20 PM

Some of us can't keep our phones in a nice little pouch all the time though. Car accidents can be prevented by never driving but that doesn't mean it's realistic for everyone just because it is for you.

I am surprised they didn't design some kind of seal for the entire screen to keep dust from getting under the screen or into the device. Maybe they will fix it with the Storm 2 that is for sure coming out in September...
    04-13-09 05:33 PM
    Dust was a common issue with early built storms... new storms however are dust free as they corrected the seal at the factorys now... Dust IS a warrenty issue, I've had 2 storms replaced for dust for free
    04-13-09 05:38 PM
    Just before my 30 days was up I had some dust under the screen so I went back to my local store and showed the tech. He said he would try to fix it but wasn't able to. Since I was within the 30 days he said I could change to a different model phone or get a new storm, but he indicated they don't really considered it be a defect so I would say go to a store directly and use your 30 day option and get a replacement. This was back in January when I purchased it and replaced it the first week of February. I don't have a problem now with the replacement phone.

I use an otterbox but I removed the screen protector but luckily the border of the plastic housing covers 3 of the 4 screen gaps so I don't know if the case has helped to prevent dust accumulation or if this phone is just sealed better.
    04-13-09 05:39 PM
    Had my Storm since Dec. 08', and I'm just now getting the dust issue.
    I find that if I take a can of compressed air, and and clean out the edges of dust, it seems to take care of most of the dust issue.
    04-13-09 05:42 PM
    Had my phone for 3.5 months. About a month ago a few specks of dust started to show in the upper left corner. Continually got worse until I took it to my verizon store last Friday. The manager was the guy who helped me, handed him my phone and said "there’s dust under the screen". He looked at it, clicked through a couple of screens and looked at it from several different angles. He said "hmm sand under the screen, let me go see if we have any in stock". A couple minutes later he returned and said that they were out but they would mail me a new one free of charge. Should be here tomorrow.

There was some girl who was pissed off about something and shouting obscenities about how much verizon and this manager in particular sucked...I seized the opportunity to be extra patient and nice to the poor manager, and he helped me out, no problems no questions.
    04-13-09 05:49 PM
    I'm on my 2nd storm, brought the first one back due to dust. Mine was pretty bad by the time my lazy a** brought it in, but the store tech support rep gave me no problems at all. She looked at it for a few minutes and ordered me a free replacement. I've had my storm since early december and didn't bring it in until early March so I was well out of my 30 day period. They did not have one in the store to give me but I got one fedexed to me 2 days later. So far it's been very good at not getting more dust, and I keep it in my front pocket. It is definitely a manufacturing defect. To the people (pouch users) who are just so upset about people complaining about this issue, not everyone wants to look like a tool with a pouch hanging off their belt. For a $500 device it should be fairly leak proof out of the box, we should not have how we choose to store our phone dictated by anyone that's not buying the phone for us. Keep trying with CS, but I would recommend actually taking your phone to your local store where they can easily see what you are trying to describe. Good luck!
    04-13-09 05:53 PM
    If I call Verizon to send it back, should I downgrade the OS to .75 before mailing it back, or do they care?
    they do not necessarily care when it come to hardware issues like what you are experiencing. the only time the OS comes into play is if you are having software issues with the device. Even thenn support will walk you through restoring the last official release in most cases.

at least that has been my experience...
    04-13-09 05:57 PM
    Here is a picture I took of my first storm with the dust under the screen.

04-13-09 06:08 PM
    I just don't understand, we all know the dust is a common problem, why does VZW deny it?
    04-13-09 06:21 PM
    Has anyone ever heard of not putting your Phone in your front pocket where lint, dust and other crap gathers? We all know 80% of the people that own cell phones put them in the front pants pockets and or purses with everything but the kitchen sink in them and your asking how dust got in there? I keep my phone in a case/holster 24/7 and have never had dust issues.

Now the dust issue that people are having despite what I just stated its a manf. defect. Dust shouldn't be getting behind the screen. It is a exchangable issue, don't let the Reps tell you otherwise. But the point I'm getting to here is that you should never put your cell phone in your front pocket or back pocket, they were never meant to be put there, and don't give me the "They fit there, so its made for it BS" because it wasn't. Also this directly relates to Screen cracking issue. Just food for thought.....$500 MSRP phone, putting in front pocket? For me, thats a big investment weather or not I paid that much or not, and I'm going to try and be as careful and dilegent as possible to keep my investment in good shape. Anyone with me here??
    04-18-09 05:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD