Is there anyway to backup your contacts with out using the desktop manager? The reason I ask is when i first got my phone it installed the desktop manager and for some reason it really slowed down my PC, but I thought I lost my phone the other day and about s*&! a brick, I need to backup but dont want my PC running like a snail either, suggestions?
    04-11-09 06:57 PM
    1. Go to cupboards
    2. Retrieve Paper and Pen
    3. Scroll Through Contacts
    4. Write On Paper
    5. File Paper with Names and Numbers

Seriously. Un-install and re-install DM. It's usually slow for me upon first running, but usually speeds up.
    04-11-09 07:49 PM
    I don't see how DM would slow down your pc. Just don't install the crappy Roxio media sync. If you do not have DM how are you going to update software or backup the entire device if you have to? You really should have it. Download 4.6. Not 4.7.

If you really don't want to use DM then the only other option I can think of is google sync but be warned that it has many bugs especially with the calendar sync. So just use it to sync your contacts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-09 07:56 PM
    Do you have the desktop manager with or without roxio music manager installed? If you have it will, reinstall one without it. Also, you can have your contacts backed up on your sim card as well, but that is really the only way to do it withou the desktop manager(that I know of).
    04-11-09 07:58 PM
    Crude method that takes time ... but, it can get the job done.

Go to contacts, highlight a contact, then go to Menu > Send As Attachment. Enter your email address, send, and download to your computer. At a minimum, you will have an email backup of each contact. From there you might be able to save the file to PC-based contacts - don't know ... never tried it.

Update: Just now able to check my email to see what format the BB attachment is in ... BB sends a .vcf (vCard file). You should be able to readily transfer this to your PC/Mac based contacts ... for those having trouble with other sync options.
    Last edited by taddley; 04-13-09 at 08:40 AM.
    04-11-09 08:14 PM
    Google sync is a great way to keep a back up of you contacts. Also useful when you get a new phone or just have multiple phones.

google.com/mobile/blackberry/sync.html
    04-11-09 09:43 PM
    Google Sync is great, I only got my Bold last week and the first thing I did was download the App. Only took a few minutes to get all my contacts and calendar in place. As a "former" Win Mobile user it was a cake walk with the BB
    04-13-09 05:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD