I've been searching and reading CB regarding this possible issue. Here is what is going on.

I keep my bold clean, and keep my hands clean to avoid any issues of getting the trackball dirty/gunky.

Wife and I both have the bold. I definitely use mine a lot more than her. My trackball works. When the phones were brand new (one month ago) our trackballs were identical. I am noticing recently though that her trackball is a LOT smoother. Upon further investigation, her trackball sits a tad higher than mine. Her trackball can be rolled without pushing down at all. Mine needs a very small about of pressure to register the roll. I probably wouldn't even notice this or be concerned if I didn't have another bold in the house to compare mine to. Everything works fine.

I have read about the copper colored button under the trackball could go bad. I am wondering if this is the case, or if a new trackball would cure the "problem". Would a new trackball even make it sit higher and be like new again? or is this definitely a possible issue brewing with that copper button? Are the trackballs themselves kind of spring loaded and hold the ball up on their own?

On a related note, I have been looking at all the sick mods you guys have been doing to your bolds. I had planned on doing the 8900 trackball anyhow.

Basically, if a new trackball cures the ball sitting a tad lower, then I am keeping this bold and ordering the 8900 trackball.

We still have warranties on the bolds until October. These bolds were warranty replacements to her Tilt and my Treo 750. We both received brand spankin new bolds. We didn't even pay a dime for the tilt and the treo. Great deal in my opinion

I have never loved a phone this much. I didn't know what I was missing out on when I was a die hard windows mobile treo user.

Thanks to all of you in the CB forums for all the great info you all post.
    04-10-09 03:21 PM
    Mine needs a very small about of pressure to register the roll.
    Mine has done this since I got it in November. It hasn't gotten better or worse. I just thought this was how they were.
    04-10-09 03:32 PM
    hmm it might be, but I would say why, when its working perfectly fine right. I mean, replacing the trackball would involve you having to open the phone, void the warranty, and usually things get blown soon after, there was a thread here about that, part of mentioned is bt224's sig.

ive had the phone for 11 days now, upgraded os to .247, unbranded using a different vsm, and, worst of ******* all, i have broken the warranty seal because i blacked the bold out...

basically opened the phone there too, and things went bad, so unless its a real problem, I wouldn't. Again thats my opinion, you're obviously welcome to do whatever you like
    04-10-09 04:17 PM
    Not every trackball will scroll exactly the same. Some smoother than others. They will differ over time.
    04-10-09 04:20 PM
    From what I've seen, dying the trackball very slightly smooths the surface also.
    04-10-09 04:21 PM
    My Bold is a few weeks old and I still have a "cracking"sound when using the trackball.

Is this a "normal" sound ?
    04-10-09 04:50 PM
    That's just the grit of the trackball contacting with the rollers (since the trackball isn't a smooth surface).
    04-10-09 04:53 PM
    icetlv, it also could be the audible setting. You can select Mute or Click.
    04-10-09 05:03 PM
    Mine is not smooth either but my gf has a bold and her trackball is smooth

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 05:55 PM
    Thank you all for the replies! (and taking the time to read my post, damn i babble)

iWaffles Yea, I def wouldn't even take it apart until after the warranty period. I should permalink this pist with me saying this and read it when I have the urge to crack it open.

I'm just making sure that IF i cracked it open later on that a new trackball would sit higher than an used one. If it is the copper button under the trackball that holds the ball up and it is wearing already, i would be calling at&t for a warranty replacement.
    04-10-09 08:42 PM
    My trackball requires no pressure at all to move it around. I just run my thumb across the surface.

It is not perfectly round though. I assume that's so it "grabs" the pad beneath.
    04-10-09 08:49 PM
    mine takes a little pressure. i like it that way
    04-11-09 12:37 AM
    icetlv, it also could be the audible setting. You can select Mute or Click.
    it is set on mute, it sounds like small crackings coming from the friction of the trackball.
    04-11-09 03:35 AM
    I know about a strange thing about trackballs - My bold is an American version(made in Canada) and my friend has an european version(made in Hungary). My Bold's trackball works flawlessly,while his makes strange,cracking noise(but works fine). Also,his screen is a little bit dimmer than mine. I guess it varies with region.
    04-11-09 12:38 PM
    I know about a strange thing about trackballs - My bold is an American version(made in Canada) and my friend has an european version(made in Hungary). My Bold's trackball works flawlessly,while his makes strange,cracking noise(but works fine). Also,his screen is a little bit dimmer than mine. I guess it varies with region.
    That's exactly what I meant.
    I've checked, and mine is made in Canada too.
    Maybe the devices are different depending on the destinations ?
    I'm located in Israel.
    The same way many consumption products are adapted to "local" taste.
    04-11-09 01:05 PM
    So, if a trackball goes bad, prior to the warranty, the options are: 1. Sending it back and risk getting a used phone. 2. Slap a new trackball in and void the warranty.
    Let's face it, the design of the trackball is destined for FAILURE. I'm in the sanitation business and I've got to carry baby wipes or hand sanitizer with me at all times when I'm at the office or working. If I run out of those, I've got to go midevil and spit on my fingers and rub them dry on my pants. So far, this is the only major flaw that affects the use of all new berrys.

04-11-09 02:22 PM
    So, if a trackball goes bad, prior to the warranty, the options are: 1. Sending it back and risk getting a used phone. 2. Slap a new trackball in and void the warranty.
    Let's face it, the design of the trackball is destined for FAILURE. I'm in the sanitation business and I've got to carry baby wipes or hand sanitizer with me at all times when I'm at the office or working. If I run out of those, I've got to go midevil and spit on my fingers and rub them dry on my pants. So far, this is the only major flaw that affects the use of all new berrys.

Is this supposed to be a shocker that moving parts can have problems over time? It's not exactly like trackballs are a new tech...

Which also means, you should know what you are getting in to. Also considering you are getting a used phone for your used phone, I don't really see the problem here. I'm sure it's because everyone is paranoid for no valid reason that refurbs have a higher defect rate than new phones...
    04-11-09 02:24 PM
    Actually, the screen is not dimmer, but the colour temperatures are different. The ones from Canada have warm colour (white screen appears to be a little orange) and these from Hungary have cold colour (white screen is like blue). Like comparing a regular light bulb to a fluorescent lamp.
    04-11-09 03:06 PM
    The guys phone is one month old. Its hardly used. What if the refurb is older? Is everyone online tonight a psychic?

04-11-09 11:54 PM
    What if the refurb works better than his current phone? What are the odds of that when his current phone is defective having trackball problems within 1 month. Also what % of refurbs are used for longer than 1 month? Unless you actually have an idea what that number is, assuming the worst is kinda pointless.

My comment was regarding your statement that trackballs are destined for failure.
    Last edited by papped; 04-12-09 at 12:03 AM.
    04-12-09 12:01 AM
    The guys phone is one month old. Its hardly used. What if the refurb is older? Is everyone online tonight a psychic?

more than likely the refurb will have a brand new trackball. You cannot tell the difference between a refurb and a brand new phone.
    04-12-09 12:16 AM
    "What if" seems to be the problem here. And trackballs are destined to fail. No biggie mate. That's what keeps cnn.cn in business.

04-12-09 12:52 AM
    mine makes a **** of a noise... lame track ball
    04-12-09 09:21 AM
    mine makes a h e l l of a noise... lame track ball
    04-12-09 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD