Hello all,

I am currently an iPhone user, and I love/hate my phone, and I'm not going to lie about it. The iPhone while sleek, sexy, and over all a great phone has some major flaws that drive me insane.

1.) The QWERTY keyboard can be GOD awfully slow to respond sometimes, and the accelerometer sometimes does not pick up that it has been tilted.
    2.) Phone can get VERY sluggish
    3.) No MMS, No Copy and Paste (Yes I know, it comes out with 3.0 but I already have 3.0 on my phone...and it isn't that great but at this point I will give it the benefit of the doubt as it is in beta.)

Now I was looking at the Storm but I have a few question.

1.) I recently used a G1 which was AMAZING...but it would not recognize my school's wifi (WPA2 Enterprise) and though it was a 3G phone, it would not connect to AT&Ts 3G thus I was almost ALWAYS forced to use edge which killed the phone for me. As an AT&T user will I have the same problem using an unlocked Storm or will I be able to use the 3G and Wifi?

2.) I hate(d) the keyboard of the Storm as it used the "sure"type functionality that just killed it for me (when in portrait that is), has this been rectified?

3.) When one of my coworkers had it, it was ungodly slow...has this been remedied?

4.) I hated the fact you would have to CLICK in the phone screen to type a message and doing even the most simple of task seemed painful after a while, has this been remedied yet? By that I mean is it possible to use a "soft type" keyboard instead where you can just tap it instead of having to push it in?

5.) I use Google for almost everything from email to contacts to calendar, does this sync well with it?

Sorry, I'm kind of out of the Storm scene, so could someone give me a quick rundown?
    04-10-09 04:17 AM
    You will not like the Storm ... the things you "hated", if they were all changed, would make it a completely different model device ... maybe wait for the Niagara.

Or am I just encouraging a troll here?
    04-10-09 04:31 AM
    I would stick with the iphone. As much as it pains to say the iphone still blows away the Storm. A lot as to do with Verizon not really putting much into it but lame commercials. I bought mine on release day and its been shady at best ever since. Although I have not many of the problems that most people here have had (never had it shut down,reboot)I do have dust under the screen which is annoying as ****!! the Storm has many of the problems you mention. It can be slow at moving from portrait to landscape,itis unresponsive a lot. The storm doesnt even have wifi. Many cars and GPS have internet that you can run from the wifi from your phone,pretty cool. They say its a "world phone" but it is not! if you go to Europe sure you can call someone but you can't use data at all,so its pointless. The blackberry app world may be only a week old but almost all of the apps have been already released somewhere else months ago. The media is far better on the iphone,you can access itunes and download songs,movies right the the iphone. Verizon charges you twice as much for a song 1.99. Getting a movie on the Storm is like trying to write a 128bit program,ok not that bad but you need to download 2 programs dvdfab and handbrake, it also will take hours of your time for 1 movie.aka a complete joke. With the iphone you know it is Apple's top priority and they will update and make it better. With the Storm I think Verizon as just about thrown in the towel. Stick with the iphone its far and away a better build. with 3.0 the features will blow away anything the Storm has to offer. I wish Verizon would have invested more in the Storm. they duped us again.
    Last edited by blackberryhulk; 04-10-09 at 04:44 AM.
    04-10-09 04:41 AM
    1. Storm doesn't have wifi
    2. Leaked OSs have qwerty keyboard in portrait
    3. Leaked OSs have come ALONG way in speed
    4. No "soft type"
    5. No clue?

.....but I LOVE MY STORM :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 04:49 AM
    I love my storm! Best phone I have ever had!
    04-10-09 06:07 AM
    I've yet to see a perfect ANYthing, and a Blackberry is no exception. In the grand scheme of things, touch screens are still a relatively new idea. Newer OS's for the Storm have solved some of the problems, but it "is what it is." Sounds like you may need something other than a touch screen device, and you definitely seem to want something with Wifi- which the Storm does not have. One of these days, stop and think about what your phone is really accomplishing, and think of the wonder of it all.... Helps to put things in perspective.
    04-10-09 06:27 AM
    You may want to wait for the storm to get its next official OS, unless you have no fear of downloading and installing a beta OS.

If it is the verizon 9530 storm you are referring to, this may be a long time as they appear to be in a contest with other country's networks to be the very absolute LAST to give their blessing for a new OS and as you can tell in this forum it is frustrating many people.

I love the storm as is... But won't mind it getting better. As for the suretype I must say I love it because it keeps my typing input, esp. With texting, honest...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 06:54 AM
    The discussion of iPhone vs Storm is endless. Each have their pros that make each one better. You like the iPhone, but you also hate it. If you get the Storm, it's going to be the exact same thing. You'll like what the Storm does that the iPhone doesn't, but you'll also miss what the iPhone did. In the end, it depends on which phone is a better fit for you.

As for my personal opinion on the click screen, it's much better than a touch screen. I had the HTC Touch for about a year, and used every avail SIP. I've just found that by clicking, you'll make fewer mistakes because by clicking you sort of "confirm" which key you are pressing, vs just selecting/typing in one action.
    04-10-09 07:11 AM
    storm, it clicks, its suppose to. multi tap - iphone, click screen - storm. those things we'll never see change and I don't think we should.

wifi - no real need as of yet. would be cool in the office but apparently I'm suppose to 'work' or something like that, don't remember exactly what the boss said, I was playing with my phone.

Leaked OS Made a huge improvement to speed (as stated above) even to me who didn't mind .75 at all.
    Last edited by sinfuldragon; 04-10-09 at 07:25 AM. Reason: because I'm an *****
    04-10-09 07:23 AM
    My storm doesn't even come close to the iPhone first gen, which I had briefly. I can not comfortably recommend the Storm to anyone.
    04-10-09 07:27 AM
    What does this phone NOT do that you want it to? This negativity is amazing! Call me a fanboi if you like, but this is a great phone! It does everything that I ask it to, and more! I'm running .122 and I don't have the random reboots/freezes that others complain about (and I have a sh*tload of apps installed!) No, it doesn't have all of the cute (useless) apps available for the iphone, but like 60% of those are never used after the first day anyway! If you like your iphone then by all means keep it, but the Storm comes HIGHLY recommended from this user!!
    04-10-09 07:35 AM
    Wait for the Storm2...which should fix the problems you read about..including lack of WiFi..
    04-10-09 07:43 AM
    It was worth it when it was .75, and it's worth it even more with .122.
    04-10-09 07:49 AM
    Wait for the Storm2...which should fix the problems you read about..including lack of WiFi..
    you're kiddin me right?
    04-10-09 07:59 AM
    It's obvious touch screen is not for you. Wait for the Niagara/9630. Unless your standards are too high for that too. Just seems like you expect so much.

Storm has downfalls, I just look past them and deal with them. SurePress isn't perfect but it's a nice alternative until we get to the point where buttons can come up and down as they please. For now, it's still a prototype.
    04-10-09 08:01 AM
    As a sys admin and network engineer I deal with many platforms. All have good and bad. I'm a podcast addict but still have a Storm if that means anything.

For me it's the Verizon network and Storm via Blackberry messaging and needing a phone now vs. wait for iPhone 3 etc....

I'll get moments when I think I might want a conventional keyboard but so far my 50 year old eyes like the screen size more.

I have fingers crossed for an OS update prior to my April 14 last day to return the thing bit I did not exactly buy my own with shuttered eyes or no knowledge because I've had Storms at one of my work sites since the day they were released.
    04-10-09 08:04 AM
    you're kiddin me right?

You are right...they probably won't have the problems fixed by then either...
    04-10-09 08:48 AM
    Funny side story that's somewhat relevant. I'm so used (and loving) the click screen on my storm that I often find myself trying to click on the Nav touch screen in truck. I have to remind myself "no, just tap it and hope you hit it in the right spot".
    04-10-09 10:25 AM
    The click screen takes some time getting use to but, IMO, works much, much better than simply touching to select.

I upgraded from a Samsung Glyde to the Storm less than 2 months ago because the OS was so bad on it. For those that complain about the 9530 having OS bugs, you should try living with a Glyde for about 6 months and then go back to your BB. Try having your cursor constantly jump two lines to the top line when composing a text message, usng the arrow key in an effort to move it back to the point where you need to resume typing, having it jump back to the top again, repeating the same process over and over again and then let me know how buggy you think the Storm is.

I had to retrieve something from my Glyde just last night and initially keep pressing the screen to make a selection. Seeing how sluggish it was to respond was just a reminder of why I made the switch. Now that I've gotten use to the click screen I actually greatly prefer it and wouldn't want it to operate any other way. Personally, I think it's one of the Storm's strong points.

In the end it's an individual choice, but frankly, I couldn't be happier with the phone and am glad I made the choice to upgrade.
    04-10-09 01:34 PM
    I compare the storm to an antique car

If you like continually mending something that is breaking down, always having issues and have other cars that do the job better then buy the antique car(storm)

If you like to buy something, take it out of the garage and get it to do what it is supposed to do from day one..get a new car (any other phone)
    04-10-09 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD