I think it would be sweet if someone would create an app that could turn off the SurePress and make the phone a pure touch. I'd pay for that app. Just throwing that out there...
    04-09-09 04:50 PM
    pure touch? what is pure touch?
    04-09-09 04:50 PM
    Like no Press needed...
    04-09-09 04:51 PM
    Oh like the IPHONE!!!!! haha jk. Yeah i would like that to for when im typing in landscape mode.
    04-09-09 04:55 PM
    i think there are multiple people who ask this same question like a lot of times. this won't happen because someone smart said that surepress is implanted in the phone and can only me changed/mod'd by RIM themselves........but youre not alone people ask this stuff all the time.
    04-09-09 04:56 PM
    Im just curious why you would get the Storm? Ive read peoples reasonings with wanting a touch sensitive vs. a press style type and feel if that is what they want then there are many different phones that offer the capability.
    04-09-09 04:59 PM
    Why? Everytime I show off my Storm people are always impressed with the SurePress screen. Why would you want to cripple a feature of the phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 05:03 PM
    Why? Everytime I show off my Storm people are always impressed with the SurePress screen. Why would you want to cripple a feature of the phone?

its nice, i just agree that i would like to have the option. sometimes its nice to actually be able to type fast
    04-09-09 05:08 PM
    It would just add versatility, why not? I think it would be a convenient feature. I personally love the SurePress, but I'm sure there are people who want the AWESOMENESS of BB with a standard touch screen. Just my thoughts.
    04-09-09 05:12 PM
    its nice, i just agree that i would like to have the option. sometimes its nice to actually be able to type fast
    I agree.. It's always nice to have options.

04-09-09 05:15 PM

Sure they're impressed with it since they don't have to put up with it every time they try to type any give letter for any given reason.

I thought it was cool... ...Before I actually got the Storm and started using it. I started transferring contacts (since I couldn't get DM to recognize my Storm at that point) and said to myself, "This is pretty AWESOME!" About thirty minutes into it, I was like, "This sucks a**!"

04-09-09 05:16 PM
    it's not imbedded that it has to work that way. I have the Solitaire Buddy Gold game on my Storm and that game works by 100% touch.

It doubt a program that would allow you to touch not press would ever come out on the Apps store or from BB themselves because of the whole marketing thing. to allow that would be to say the Surepress sucks. However, the game i have alone proves that it can be easily done. I wouldn't be surprised to see for instance a 3rd party keyboard application if nothing else that would run on top of the existing software, however I do aggree that the surepress is embedded into the OS so strictly speaking menus, etc would all be surepress.

I don't think anyone would object to that if they had the option to for instance touch the keypad when typing. Although to be totally honest, if you just rest your fingers on the keyboard and pretend to be typing you'll notice that you'll hit the wrong keys plenty of times. I think in the long run, you'd wind up mis-spelling much more by touch then press.... at least with the way the keyboard is layed out.
    04-09-09 05:17 PM
    Opera mini works on touch alone.
    04-09-09 05:19 PM
    I personally like the mechanical feedback.

I also have bit of difficulty with touch, because the instant the screen is touched the activation occurs. With SurePress you point to something without actually selecting it.

It is only a preference.
    04-09-09 05:20 PM
    Ya i want the option to turn it off. Sometimes when you are using one hand the surepress becomes annoying since it's a fairly stiff button.

A few of the apps on App World were obviously designed for the iPhone first and don't make use of the SurePress - I gotta say i really enjoy using those apps!

I also do like SurePress in certain situations because you aren't always pressing the wrong thing or accidentally hitting buttons.

Therefore, i agree, an OPTION would be B-E-A-U-tiful.
    04-09-09 05:22 PM
    Disabling Surepress would fundamentally break the entire interface, it'd be like using a PC mouse with no buttons.... You'd be able to highlight, but there'd be no way to select.
    04-09-09 05:37 PM
    I love surepress, but I wouldn't mind the option go to pure touch sometimes.

Sometimes you're in a position where you just don't feel like putting in the extra effort to press a key.

I would also like the ability to lock the accelerometer in a set position.

Not true Dave. It wouldn't be any different from the procedure used for the Storm's OEM browser. You can touch anywhere to scroll up and down, but if you quickly double tap it zooms in.

Apply that VERY same principle to the basics of how you navigate the Storm's GUI and I think you'll find that we have some extremely effective.

Regular single tap to highlight (like it is now). Quick double-tap to actually select it. Problem solved. Software can take care of everything.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 04-09-09 at 05:56 PM.
    04-09-09 05:47 PM
    Storm owner here that wouldn't dream of turning off surepress. There are a hundred touch phones out there . Got this purely because of SurePress. Touch screen phones lend themselves to tons of fat fingering. I tend as a pretty thin guy to be prone to fat fingering. If it wasn't for the surepress and the bb mail interface the omnia or HTC touch would have been better phones.

04-09-09 06:13 PM
    A tap for highlight and double tap to actually select would solve this problem and when it comes to typing, that would be entirely up to personal preference whether one would want to type using surepress or pure touch.
    04-09-09 06:36 PM
    Not true Dave. It wouldn't be any different from the procedure used for the Storm's OEM browser. You can touch anywhere to scroll up and down, but if you quickly double tap it zooms in.

Apply that VERY same principle to the basics of how you navigate the Storm's GUI and I think you'll find that we have some extremely effective.

Regular single tap to highlight (like it is now). Quick double-tap to actually select it. Problem solved. Software can take care of everything.
    This is how the current release of the Bolt browser works... Read some threads on that, and look how many folks complain. That's why I say it will fundamentally break the interface. Maybe not break it, but I imagine it would cause alot of support phone calls when someone "accidently" disabled surepress and was convinced the Storm was 'broken'
    04-09-09 06:44 PM
    www.dontclick.it

visit this page on your PC and let us know what you think...
    04-09-09 06:52 PM
    Not gonna happen... I suggest you start practicing it works

04-09-09 08:13 PM
    www.dontclick.it

visit this page on your PC and let us know what you think...
    DAMN that interface sucks..... Sort of like using a Storm without Surepress technology! (or like using my iPod touch )
    04-09-09 08:36 PM
    horrid, i know!!!!! and that etch-a-sketch line gets creepier every time i go there...its like one of those ouija boards or something
    04-09-09 09:00 PM
    horrid, i know!!!!! and that etch-a-sketch line gets creepier every time i go there...its like one of those ouija boards or something
    The sad thing is, the more I use the Storm, the more I wish my iPod Touch had a Surepress screen. I always inadvertantly launch apps and change settings when I don't mean to. Like the time we will never speak of outside this thread where I was slightly inebriated and spent 45 minutes trying to get connected to the internet. I had accidently switched wifi off.
    04-09-09 09:34 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD