Why can't we know what is going on? Why does Verizon/RIM have to be so secretive about what they are testing? Can't Verizon be like, "Oh we are testing .122 currently, .113 had to many bugs blah blah blah" so we don't all have to sit around complaining about the same crap over and over with our thumbs up our butts because we have no idea what is going on. I think in general people will be a lot calmer (at least around here) if they new what was actually happening.
    04-09-09 04:25 PM
    Just thinking out loud, but who exactly will keep us informed?
    04-09-09 04:27 PM
    No one has to keep us informed but they are so against us knowing anything. Like their testers aren't allowed to say anything about what they are testing for an example.
    04-09-09 04:29 PM
    they like to keep us guessing, and it gives us something to talk about lol but honestly if they told us everything we would be expecting it. like we expected .113 but its really buggy so if we actually had an official date they would be screwed for lying to us we would all be pissed (they like us complaining sadly)
    04-09-09 04:31 PM
    More info would always help. That's the first rule of big league damage control P.R.firms..acknowledge the issues and continually describe your efforts to remedy them.
    04-09-09 04:32 PM
    No one has to keep us informed but they are so against us knowing anything. Like their testers aren't allowed to say anything about what they are testing for an example.
    but we do get leaks
    04-09-09 04:33 PM
    But the fact remains that everyone knows that both RIM and Verizon are always testing software. For all devices. So theres really no reason to tell customers hey we're testing software, but you already know that.
    04-09-09 04:35 PM
    But the fact remains that everyone knows that both RIM and Verizon are always testing software. For all devices. So theres really no reason to tell customers hey we're testing software, but you already know that.
    True WE know that. But my father and brother don't. They wanted to get rid of their storm because they hate the way .75 is. I had to convince them that verizon is going to send out an update and fix it. I feel like a VZW rep telling them there is an update coming any day now but I'm really just talking out of my *** lol.
    The general public doesn't know that RIM has to make the new OS, test it, send it to VZW, they test it, then finally we might get the update if we are lucky, and all this takes time. Most people have had this phone for 4-5 months and nothing has changed since they got it and haven't been told it is ever going to change.
    04-09-09 04:43 PM
    But none of this really answers my question. Why are they so secretive about what is going on with the OS's.
    04-09-09 04:47 PM
    at least they could tell us what progress is being made, you know. CX you do drop hints and stuff but we don't know what kind of errors are being fixed. Just a little knowledge would be legit.
    04-09-09 04:47 PM
    at least they could tell us what progress is being made, you know. CX you do drop hints and stuff but we don't know what kind of errors are being fixed. Just a little knowledge would be legit.
    Like I don't get what harm it would cause them if we knew they were testing say .122. Or what they plan on testing if/when that one is found to have to many bugs.
    04-09-09 04:50 PM
    Well then in a way they would be admitting their phone current OS sucks imho

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 04:52 PM
    I disagree....look at the Buzz around the 3.0 os for the iphone. If people think the phone is going to get better, they talk about it, they create a buzz...and it also creates a much more personal connection with a carrier than if they just completely mess up a launch then proceed to say nothing for 6 months and pretend like it was perfect.
    04-09-09 04:53 PM
    Yes Verizon is always testing, however, updates would be nice once in awhile. I was on the Verizon forum and asked the moderator when would the next release come out? She said "we don't get that information until the day it is released." O.k., I asked her what os she was running and she told me, I cant release that information to you. There goes another stupid rumor...
    04-09-09 04:56 PM
    I disagree....look at the Buzz around the 3.0 os for the iphone. If people think the phone is going to get better, they talk about it, they create a buzz...and it also creates a much more personal connection with a carrier than if they just completely mess up a launch then proceed to say nothing for 6 months and pretend like it was perfect.
    Excellent point. Builds excitement and offers hope.
    04-09-09 04:56 PM
    I'm much more interested in a release date for an OS push from VZW than I am who's testing what.
    04-09-09 04:57 PM
    Also, the users (us) aern't the only people interested in whats going on...I just got back from China where they had every Blackberry, including a Storm, FAKED...RIM and other manufacturers probably loose millions, if not billions collectively from counterfeit phones and equipment. Keeping secrets isnt intended to keep us out of the loop, it's to protect the technology from slipping into the wrong hands.....

If it can help save millions, I would do it to....
    04-09-09 04:59 PM
    Why can't we know what is going on? Why does Verizon/RIM have to be so secretive about what they are testing? Can't Verizon be like, "Oh we are testing .122 currently, .113 had to many bugs blah blah blah" so we don't all have to sit around complaining about the same crap over and over with our thumbs up our butts because we have no idea what is going on. I think in general people will be a lot calmer (at least around here) if they new what was actually happening.
    For the same reason most union negotiations are done quietly and why the CIA doesn't tell everyone what they're up to. Nobody in the trenches wants to hear everyones opinion and 'expert' suggestions on what they're doing. Add to that they don't need rumors starting and statements misinterpreted and turned into 'fact' for the masses to feed on.

The bottom line with this device/carrier is you either like it/them or you don't. If you don't then you should scrap the device, sell it, give to someone you don't like, whatever and move on. Nobody will be any calmer knowing that RIM has delivered 20 OS's to VZW only to have 19 of them rejected. That will just start another whole agonizing ***** session but about RIM instead of VZW.

If you're not a techie type or you're a nervous nellie about upgrading your OS then I guess you'll have to wait for the Official Release. Otherwise, as far as I can tell I don't need or care if they ever come out with an Official Release. .114v3 worked fine, .122 seems to work much better and I'm sure if they drag this out even longer the BB gods here will come up with a hybrid that's even better. Who knows, maybe their Official Release will be a POS and one of the leaks will be better.
    04-09-09 05:00 PM
    Excellent point. The buzz around the VZW 9530 is fairly (mostly?) negative. I bet a little real communication from VZW that set some firm dates/goals would go a long way.

At the very least, it would put down some of the rumors. Even though the rumored releases are just that, rumors, VZW still takes a beating when those dates come and go.
    04-09-09 05:01 PM
    I'll ask it again... What good would it do you to know? Say Verizon and/or RIM issues a press release tomorrow saying, "We are currently developing and testing new builds for the 8830, Curve, Pearl, and Storm." How exactly are you any better off now than you were before?
    04-09-09 05:04 PM
    I'll ask it again... What good would it do you to know? Say Verizon and/or RIM issues a press release tomorrow saying, "We are currently developing and testing new builds for the 8830, Curve, Pearl, and Storm." How exactly are you any better off now than you were before?
    Because the millions of people who don't post on cell phone forums would be informed fixes were on the way. It doesn't need to be a pin point date but if the said Spring 09 we could expect it sometime during that time frame

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 05:09 PM
    True WE know that. But my father and brother don't. They wanted to get rid of their storm because they hate the way .75 is. I had to convince them that verizon is going to send out an update and fix it. I feel like a VZW rep telling them there is an update coming any day now but I'm really just talking out of my *** lol.
    Why don't you put them on .109 at least? I have helped my dad and 4 of his co-workers put .109 on their phones. They had no idea the device could actually work like they wanted it to.

And I will agree with letting us know. I mean movies don't get spontaneously released. You let people know about it and create hype and get excited again about their phone. Maybe a movie isn't a great analogy, but you get the idea.
    04-09-09 05:15 PM
    Because the millions of people who don't post on cell phone forums would be informed fixes were on the way. It doesn't need to be a pin point date but if the said Spring 09 we could expect it sometime during that time frame
    And then let's say at the last minute some showstopper bug crops up, and they end up having to pull the release back. Now everyone's going to be p!ssed because the "promised" date has lapsed. We all know even if they say, "We're hoping to release it by <DATE>" that people will take that to be a firm, set in stone, date. You could say something vague, like "Spring of 09" and people will then get uppity the first day of spring when there's no new update.

I can give some merit to the idea of the mishandling of the PR aspect of things with regards to the Storm, but at the same time I don't think RIM is accustomed to this kind of attention. They've never had a "rockstar" device like the Storm. I'm sure a few hard lessons were learned. But it really does nothing to change the fact that even if they were a bit more chatty about updates, it wouldn't really change anything as far as we users are concerned. It'll still take as long as it takes, end of story.
    04-09-09 05:19 PM
    I guess it just gets us excited and eager. Although it doesn't really make any sense at the same time since they aren't making money off of OSs lol.
    04-09-09 05:50 PM
    Why don't you put them on .109 at least? I have helped my dad and 4 of his co-workers put .109 on their phones. They had no idea the device could actually work like they wanted it to.
    They live in MA and im in FL.
    04-09-09 08:46 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD