I figure most of us have dropped our phones a few times. My question is what damage is incurred to the accelerometer as a result? Ladies and Gentleman theories please........ for a more scientific conclusion, please drop your phone or throw against the wall a few times and give results, thank you in advance
    04-09-09 11:30 AM
    I've dropped my phones a few times and did damage the chrome lining but thats about it. Accelerometer is still fine.
    04-09-09 11:32 AM
    Same here. I've dropped mine quite a few times, actually ... never from very high, but it still works fine (accelerometer included).

edit: dropped a few extra times. Accelerometer working as normal.

And my guess, yes, you're absolutely right, eventually you're bound to mess up a soldered connection...
    Last edited by pi_admin; 04-09-09 at 11:40 AM.
    04-09-09 11:34 AM
    im just guessing the more drops incurred the more damage there will be to the core hardware that allows it to perform at its peak, just a wild assumption im making here.
    Whooooaaa! I must have mis-read your question. I thought you said "drop my phone"!
    if anyone is willing to drop their phone a few times for us to come to a through conclusion we'd be most grateful.
    04-09-09 11:36 AM
    Bandit colls,

The accelerometer is made of liquid (some type of silicon) inside of a box shaped area. When you turn your phone, the liquid hits the wall of the box and that triggers the sensor which notifies the phone to move portrait or landscape or whatever.

Hope this helps.
    Paul
    04-09-09 12:26 PM
    Bandit colls,

The accelerometer is made of liquid (some type of silicon) inside of a box shaped area. When you turn your phone, the liquid hits the wall of the box and that triggers the sensor which notifies the phone to move portrait or landscape or whatever.

Hope this helps.
    Paul
    I asked VZW kiosk manager, who really knows his stuff...he told me (but this is super secret so I'm not really supposed to say anything...keep this on the DL!) that the liquid they used is unicorn tears.

He also said that nothing could damage the accelerometer...he dropped his into the Grand Canyon and it still works fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 01:59 PM
    Bandit colls,

Hope this helps.
    Paul
    This is absolutly right. It'll be really hard to damage this just buy dropping it. I'm not saying climb the roof and give it a try but the mechanism is pretty stable.
    04-09-09 02:00 PM
    What does the current Storm OS mimic?

I'll take potpourri for $1000, Alex.
    04-09-09 02:04 PM
    Funny you should ask this question. I just experienced an accelerometer problem yesterday. All of my message files (ie. email, sms, etc...) now only display in portrait mode. It does not shift to landscape anymore. I'm trying to figure out if I created the problem or if it's a hardware or software problem. Portrait to landscape still works with everything else. Anybody else experiencing this problem?
    04-09-09 02:29 PM
    Funny you should ask this question. I just experienced an accelerometer problem yesterday. All of my message files (ie. email, sms, etc...) now only display in portrait mode. It does not shift to landscape anymore. I'm trying to figure out if I created the problem or if it's a hardware or software problem. Portrait to landscape still works with everything else. Anybody else experiencing this problem?
    have you tried a battery pull? this should fix your problem. and for future issues download this program

QuickPull v2 (BETA) - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store
    04-09-09 02:49 PM
    You're not the only one, I had mine do it once in a while on just about every version of the OS I've installed ... but was always fixed with a battery pull.
    04-09-09 02:59 PM
    I just did the battery pull. It fixed the problem. Thanks to everyone for the tips.
    04-09-09 03:15 PM
    According to Blackberry Storm 9530 Smartphone - What's Inside_text - Electronic Products
    the accelerometer is a chip made by ST Microelectronics

According to the specification, it can take 3000 G for .5 ms or 10000 G for .1 ms
    ( see page 14 of this document http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...6/lis302dl.pdf )

For a small explanation of how it works, read page 16 of the same document

So don't worry !
    Last edited by Briard; 04-09-09 at 04:29 PM.
    04-09-09 04:24 PM
    I asked VZW kiosk manager, who really knows his stuff...he told me (but this is super secret so I'm not really supposed to say anything...keep this on the DL!) that the liquid they used is unicorn tears.

He also said that nothing could damage the accelerometer...he dropped his into the Grand Canyon and it still works fine.

Unicorn tears! I'm dying laughing. Thank you!

04-09-09 04:31 PM
    According to Blackberry Storm 9530 Smartphone - What's Inside_text - Electronic Products
    the accelerometer is a chip made by ST Microelectronics

According to the specification, it can take 3000 G for .5 ms or 10000 G for .1 ms
    ( see page 14 of this document http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...6/lis302dl.pdf )

For a small explanation of how it works, read page 16 of the same document

So don't worry !
    Oooo... Where can I get a vehicle that pulls 3000 Gs to test this out?!?

Btw for yall asking, I've dropped my phone from over 10' twice (was in a hip holster but still). Still no problems
    04-09-09 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD