As has been mentioned on here, users of the Storm on GSM networks still do not have (even with .122) a Radio file that can maintain an EDGE (Data enabled) connection.

While a GSM network is not the first network the Storm was built for, it is still a Network that the phone is SUPPOSED TO SUPPORT.

Sooooo.... why can't RIM who have known about this problem for months fix it? What are they waiting for. I do not blame Verizon, Bell or Telus. I blame RIM and they really should get their act together.

They should not have sent the latest release (.122) to anyone for testing as it has an obvious flaw.
    04-08-09 02:53 PM
    +1

I've got an unlocked Storm running on Fido, and while EDGE has become more stable and I can use it more often now, it is still impossible to use the YouTube app, and it's tough to justify my data plan when I can't take advantage of it.
    04-08-09 03:11 PM
    RIM never released the storm for GSM carriers, hence why it doesn't work well with a GSM carrier.
    04-08-09 03:38 PM
    It wasn't designed for american gsm networks just Europe ones. Hence why service sucks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-09 04:36 PM
    Sometimes, I think (again, in my personal case) it's not the radio that's the problem, but the area that I am in. I think some radios are more responsive than others, but if you have good reception in your area, you should be good....and if not, then no matter what radio you use, it will be tough luck
    04-08-09 04:39 PM
    It wasn't designed for american gsm networks just Europe ones. Hence why service sucks.

(touche) tooo-sheyyyyyyyy
    04-08-09 04:39 PM
    ...that since VZW has the Storm and since RIM provides product and OS's to VZW for testing and review that you may be SOL.

I know that this is supposed to be a "world phone" and that it should work on GSM. But I am thinking that RIM and VZW are not making it a priority for AT&T users to be able to use this device. Sort of like asking Apple to make the iPhone capable of running on the VZW network. That is not about to happen.
    04-08-09 04:46 PM

That may be the case, however when I travel to Europe and roam on GSM networks I have similar issue....had it since 075 all the way to 109 (haven't tried it with 122 yet). I will get the 3G vs 3g vs 3G with 5 boxes to the left hand side of the 3G logo....data always works when I have the 5 boxes next to the 3G (I would say this is the equivalent of EDGE), but does not work whenever I have 3G or 3g (equivalent of edge). What is strange is that I could have 5 bars of service, but no data....frustrating indeed.

Given my experience I would say that RIM has an issue with the radio....I never had this problem with my 8830; it always received data fine in Euroland. If RIM could fix this issue it would greatly improve my accessibility and hence life when travelling.
    04-08-09 04:50 PM
    We have a winner!

Honestly, I don't get some people. The phone wasn't designed to run on AT&T or T-Mobile in the US, hence the hassle required to get it to work... Despite that, people STILL complain, instead of being happy it works at all.
    04-08-09 04:51 PM
    the phone wasent released to those providers and you want support? are you serious?
    04-08-09 04:51 PM
    As has been mentioned on here, users of the Storm on GSM networks still do not have (even with .122) a Radio file that can maintain an EDGE (Data enabled) connection.

While a GSM network is not the first network the Storm was built for, it is still a Network that the phone is SUPPOSED TO SUPPORT.

Sooooo.... why can't RIM who have known about this problem for months fix it? What are they waiting for. I do not blame Verizon, Bell or Telus. I blame RIM and they really should get their act together.

They should not have sent the latest release (.122) to anyone for testing as it has an obvious flaw.
    How does it have an obvious flaw? It works great on my phone as it was made for a CDMA network. GSM was just an added bonus. If it was made for GSM don't you think some of the other networks like TMobile would sell the phone and not just Verizon.
    04-08-09 04:53 PM
    How does it have an obvious flaw? It works great on my phone as it was made for a CDMA network. GSM was just an added bonus. If it was made for GSM don't you think some of the other networks like TMobile would sell the phone and not just Verizon.
    Verizon has an exclusive distribution deal in the US.
    04-08-09 06:00 PM
    The reason these builds don't hold a good EDGE connection is because, they weren't made specificily for the GSM. The .122 that was "released" is for the 9530. There is a 9500 .122 out there, which is a good OS for GSM users.

04-08-09 06:10 PM
    ...that since VZW has the Storm and since RIM provides product and OS's to VZW for testing and review that you may be SOL.

I know that this is supposed to be a "world phone" and that it should work on GSM. But I am thinking that RIM and VZW are not making it a priority for AT&T users to be able to use this device. Sort of like asking Apple to make the iPhone capable of running on the VZW network. That is not about to happen.
    This is a HUGE difference then the Storm not running efficiently on a GSM network You are talking about a complete hardware rebuild, since it would need a CDMA radio inside.
    04-08-09 06:13 PM
    The reason these builds don't hold a good EDGE connection is because, they weren't made specificily for the GSM. The .122 that was "released" is for the 9530. There is a 9500 .122 out there, which is a good OS for GSM users.

Actually the reasons are that they are still trying to get EVDO working even better. EDGE gets better, dont ya worry For the 9500, 3G works great.
    04-08-09 06:14 PM
    Actually the reasons are that they are still trying to get EVDO working even better. EDGE gets better, dont ya worry For the 9500, 3G works great.
    with Verizon's official? I hope; please!
    04-08-09 06:39 PM
    Would the 9500 be a better choice for users who plan to unlock their phones and use on a GSM network in North America? I've been curious about this for a while now, and I own a 9530, but I can't seem to use certain apps (YouTube primarily) without my EDGE dropping. Emails, Browser, etc. all work perfectly with my 9530 running .122 though.
    04-10-09 01:02 PM
    Emails, Browser, etc. all work perfectly with my 9530 running .122 though.
    Me too, especially after using the .90 radio file. EDGE seems to hold firmly but might end up switching to the Bold eventually.......the Storm is a GREAT phone but my God it can be a headache to keep up with. You constantly have to try new things in order for it to work properly..but in the end I'm not complaining at all, just wished Verizon was just like every other network....
    04-10-09 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD