I know this is discussed on the board but I couldn't find a specific reference to my specific issue:

I do a battery pull and have 17 MB free. The only things running are the standard apps: Home, Phone, BBM, web and mail. I am connected to a BES.

Within 5 hours, I am down to 14 MB free. Granted, I get 100 e-mails a day but that is what the device is made for. I do not run anything else during those 5 hours (except maybe calendar and then exit - not close). I don't use BBM at all but it is always running.

Can a program be causing a leak even if it is not running? How do I diagnose?
    04-07-09 10:24 AM
    yes, whats apps do you have installed?
    04-07-09 10:26 AM
    I didn't even know this was a problem on the 8330.
    04-07-09 10:32 AM
    If you install Memory Eye, atleast you will know when you install a new app that has a leak, so you dont have to play the guessing game later, and it will let you know when it gets too low, so you dont have to worry all the time

in my sig.
    04-07-09 10:56 AM
    There are two things that use memory. Workspace for the executing programs and data.

It is normal for your BlackBerry to use about 10 Mb, but at that point, memory use is stable. Memory is being recovered and allocated internaly.

Data, email messages and attachments are also saved in memory.

Use Options / Status. Press Menu and select Database sizes.

Use this to identify how much space being used. The data is in Kb, it takes a thousand to make a Mb.
    04-07-09 11:09 AM
    If you install Memory Eye, atleast you will know when you install a new app that has a leak, so you dont have to play the guessing game later, and it will let you know when it gets too low, so you dont have to worry all the time

in my sig.
    Memory Eye

Memory Eye is an extremely light weight and compact memory monitoring utility for your Blackberry Smartphone. Memory Eye allows you to set a memory threshold and when your devices memory drops below your set point, your phone alerts you. You get an informative pop-up and have the option to be alerted with vibration and a blinking LED in 6 colors! ...

Now Memory Eye can not only monitor your memory but correct it too, by allowing you to do a full reset! Just like a battery pull but without the hassle. Works with all devices, even devices that don't work with quickpull and soft reset! ...
    It combines an alert with a reset function. Well worth the $2.99 purchace price.

Are there any BlackBerry memory management tips you can share with us? Developers really know their stuff.
    04-07-09 11:19 AM
    yes, whats apps do you have installed?
    8900 Replica Theme
    BBTetris
    BBWeather
    BerryBuzz
    Beyond411
    Doc to Go
    EmpowerHTMLViewer (this is the next one to uninstall to see if it is the problem)
    GMail
    Google Maps
    Google Mobile App
    Lingo
    QuickPull
    Skyscape (RX database)
    SplashID
    Sudoku
    TiggitMail
    04-07-09 12:21 PM
    What about Appworld? That's a major memory hog.
    04-07-09 01:26 PM
    8900 Replica Theme
    BBTetris
    BBWeather
    BerryBuzz
    Beyond411
    Doc to Go
    EmpowerHTMLViewer (this is the next one to uninstall to see if it is the problem)
    GMail
    Google Maps
    Google Mobile App
    Lingo
    QuickPull
    Skyscape (RX database)
    SplashID
    Sudoku
    TiggitMail
    Are you using the 8900 Replica Theme? That one sucked the life out of my 8310. Try using a standard device theme for a day and see where you land.
    04-07-09 01:31 PM
    I don't use appworld.
    04-07-09 01:31 PM
    Are you using the 8900 Replica Theme? That one sucked the life out of my 8310. Try using a standard device theme for a day and see where you land.
    My wife uses the 8900 Replica Theme and doesn't have this problem.
    04-07-09 01:34 PM
    I've used the 8900 Replica Theme since it came out and even updated it to the 4.5 version and have never had a problem with a memory leak from it. I don't think that's the problem.

~Jazzi~

*Off to look into this Memory Eye app*

04-07-09 02:37 PM
    You don't have a memory leak, and you don't need any application to tell you this.

Please take a look at the FAQ for my application, MeterBerry. It explains what exactly a memory leak is, and how to tell if you have one.

MeterBerry FAQ
    04-07-09 02:55 PM
    I just read the FAQs. My memory goes down and never comes up until I do a battery pull. Why do you say that is not a memory leak? And regardless of what it is called, it is a problem and it is killing me that I can't figure it out. I lost another 1 MB over the course of 3 hours after deleting Empower. Shouldn't have gone down that much anyway but it seems better than before. Still hoping for further information from the kind folks at CB.
    04-07-09 03:01 PM
    your problem may be bbweather there is a new version that says to correct 2 memory leak issues (if you have one) v1.0.34
    04-07-09 04:43 PM
    You sure you mean bbweather? I only see version 0.84. Where can I get a newer version? Thx.
    04-07-09 04:49 PM
    sorry about that i was thinking berryweather ( named beweather in blackberry apps store)
    04-07-09 05:41 PM
    I just read the FAQs. My memory goes down and never comes up until I do a battery pull. Why do you say that is not a memory leak? And regardless of what it is called, it is a problem and it is killing me that I can't figure it out. I lost another 1 MB over the course of 3 hours after deleting Empower. Shouldn't have gone down that much anyway but it seems better than before. Still hoping for further information from the kind folks at CB.
    It is normal for your free memory to drop a few MB and not be recovered unless you restart your phone. Frequently used memory objects are cached by the OS in application memory after your phone starts up.

A loss of 1 MB is nothing to worry about. If your memory drops to almost nothing and stays there, then you have a real memory leak.
    04-07-09 07:11 PM
    I removed empower e-mail and BBweather and, although the memory went up to about 18 MB, it dropped down to 15 MB over a 12 hour period - so those weren't the culprits. We are talking about a 4+ MB drop not just 1 so I am convinced there is an app (or setting) to blame.
    04-08-09 09:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD