My Storm has been working great since I first got it the day it came out. Then suddenly a few days ago, the sound stopped working. No speaker, no microphone (no one could hear me when they called and I answered), so I started uninstalling everything I had recently installed. Blackberry App World, Poynt, Where.... and still no sound from the speaker. I also did numerous reboots to no avail. Then just for the heck of it, I plugged in the microphone/earphone accessory that initially came with the Storm and it worked perfectly using that only. So I thought maybe the headphone jack was damaged somehow (I don't know how, since I've never ever used it before). Again, trying to troubleshoot, I DOWNGRADED BACK TO .75 and my PHONE WORKS FINE (except that everything is exceptionally much slower than the .109 OS I had been using). I also had tried to upgrade to the .113 Os that everyone has been raving about, and it still didn't work. And I used JL_CMDER to wipe phone before upgrades/downgrades. So again, I downgraded to .75 OS. I was wondering if anyone else had had this problem. I'm starting to think that it may be some sort of operationg system glitch, but it's hard to tell unless anyone else has had this problem. I've been pretty up to date with the leaked OS's and I was on .109 when all this happened. Also, it happened a few days after I installed App World. I've since taken it off completely.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone may have.
    Last edited by grommetous; 04-06-09 at 02:28 AM. Reason: time error on inquiry.
    04-06-09 02:27 AM
    Warranty return it to Verizon
    04-06-09 02:34 AM
    I had almost the same thing happen to me with .113. The only way I was able to fix it was to go into the media section and hit the blackberry button to bring up the menu and then select speaker and then back to headset and it worked after that but I would have to do it every time I unplugged my headphones while listening to slacker. .114 hybrid v3 has given me absolutely no problems yet so maybe try upgrading to that.
    04-06-09 03:08 AM

I agree...
    04-06-09 03:40 AM
    Just had this happen to me, I was using head phones to listen to Mp3 player, either put head phones in and see if you hear anything then and take it back out, I did that and after took it back out it worked fine
    04-06-09 07:00 AM
    It has something to do with removing the headphones too quickly. If you're in the middle of a call, end the call, and pull the headphones out too soon, the phone gets confused and doesn't know where to output the sound to. My guess is, it's completely the headphone's/headphone jack's fault. Do what everyone else said and plug in the headphones, turn off anything that might make sound, then gently pull the headphones out. Should work. If not, try the media>sound options method.
    04-06-09 07:10 AM
    I've tried of those suggestions: .113 v3, slowly pulling out headphone jack. I can't seem to find the option to switch to speaker on the bb menu in media (either in .109, .113 v4, .75) Is it something specific to slacker?

Thanks again for your suggestions, but nothing seems to be working.
    04-06-09 01:25 PM
    I've gotten this before, too. plug and unplug your headphones a couple of times. I did notice that if I stop music completely before unplugging it doesn't happen on mine. With slacker, mp3's etc, I stop the playback then unplug.
    04-06-09 03:14 PM
    I just wiped my phone, installed .109, SLACKER (which I haven't used before), and tried to slowly pull the headphones out slowly a few dozen times. Still no joy, so I just wiped my phone again, and downgraded to .75. At least I can USE my phone in the meantime. Hopefully RIM will figure this out somehow.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
    04-06-09 03:47 PM
    I had my one and only Storm since Dec '08. Upgraded .75-.109.-.114v2. Last month people said when I was talking to them it sounded like I was underwater. Went to a Verizon store and they ordered me a referb. Went from .75 right to .114v2 and havent looked back.
    04-06-09 04:00 PM
    I've had the same one from the day it came out in November. Did you have to downgrade to .75 before you returned it? Mine works fine when using .75 and I'm afraid they'll say nothing's wrong with it if I bring it in. It's just when I try to use one of the leaked OS's (like .109, which I loved using) that I get this problem. That's why I'm thinking I'll wait for an official release from VZW to see if I can reproduce the same results and if I do, then I'll race over to Verizon and get a new (or newer) one.
    04-06-09 04:06 PM
    I've been having the same problem. The problem seems to come and go but it was more of an issue the past couple of weeks. I brought it to the Verizon store and somehow it worked just okay when I was in there. The Verizon rep gave me the run-around then said that everything sounds good to him. My phone works okay now...but I hope it doesn't act up anymore.
    04-06-09 11:18 PM
    Vllssv, what OS version are you running? Mine seems to work fine when using .75, the official one. Any other OS I've tried so far gives me the same problem. I'm waiting for an official release, then I'll see if it continues, and if so, then off to Verizon I go. I really am not liking .75, especially when I've gotten used to .109 in terms of battery life, responsiveness, features, overall quality. It's like driving a Ferrari for six months, then traveling back to the stone age and reinventing the wheel. It's culture shock.
    04-06-09 11:31 PM
    Vllssv, what OS version are you running? Mine seems to work fine when using .75, the official one. Any other OS I've tried so far gives me the same problem. I'm waiting for an official release, then I'll see if it continues, and if so, then off to Verizon I go. I really am not liking .75, especially when I've gotten used to .109 in terms of battery life, responsiveness, features, overall quality. It's like driving a Ferrari for six months, then traveling back to the stone age and reinventing the wheel. It's culture shock.
    I've been using .75 since December. Other than it being slow, I haven't had any issues. And after reading about all the problems people have been having, I figured I'd wait for the official update whenever that may be. Now that I'm having issues with voice and sound quality I'm tempted to run something else.
    Well I cleared out alot of applications freeing up memory. It seems to have helped a bit. But when I go into the Verizon store or call cust service they make me feel like "the boy who cried wolf". My Storm seems to sound okay when I make and receive calls in there...If anything they've mentioned that it might be a software issue but still insist that the sound quality is fine.
    I've started to assume that different phones even within Verizon have superior or just different sound quality and reception, even though the VZW reps tell me they should all be the same. I went around the whole store calling the same numbers from each phone.
    It seems like the BB World Edition sounded better than my Storm. A couple LG phone's I tried sounded alot clearer. The Storm on display sounded alot like mine. I don't know... I'm a little confused about this and have spent tooo much time testing my phone out, calling people and leaving myself test voice mails. I even switched to an old LG VX8300 for an afternoon to compare. Maybe this is partly subjective I but I hope an OS update or something can help with this.
    Last edited by vllssv; 04-07-09 at 02:19 AM. Reason: spell-check
    04-07-09 02:15 AM
    Do the headphone jack in/out/in/out thing a few times in RAPID succession - that'll clear it up (or at least it did for me when faced with the same issue).
    04-07-09 05:18 AM
    I just tried the .148 and it seems to have resolved the problem. The speaker works again and I can enjoy all the quickness of the improved OS's again. I'm really glad. But now the battery seems to be draining a lot faster...... hmmmm? Will I ever be 'satisfied?' I guess maybe I'll have to consider the Storm 2, meybe?
    05-24-09 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD