OK, given up with BerryTunes, now got PodTrapper, as recommended. Trouble is, every time I try to get a podcast I get 413: Request Entity Too Large.

I've had a look on the web for a solution, but all the solutions given are in computer gobbldegook. I'm a thick old geezer who only speaks English of the layman's variety. Can anyone please tell me how to download a podcast without talking about BES and BIS and stuff like that?

Thanks
    Last edited by dadofollie; 04-05-09 at 06:17 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    04-05-09 06:17 AM
    I use PodTrapper all the time - GREAT software! I think you need to download thru a wifi connection, or specify an APN, which means your service provider will charge you for the download size. Do you have access to a wifi network?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-09 06:22 AM
    No, I've got a Storm 9500 which as far as I know doesn't support wi fi. But I've got an unlimited internet deal, so download size charges shouldn't be a problem. By the way, what's an APN?
    Last edited by dadofollie; 04-05-09 at 06:27 AM. Reason: missed a bit
    04-05-09 06:26 AM
    The unlimited deal may only apply if you on the BIS, as soon as you specify an APN you access the internet exactly like non-Blackberry phones, and this may not be free

04-05-09 06:27 AM
    Sorry Bruce. BIS? APN?
    04-05-09 06:31 AM
    Sorry - difficult to explain in short - BIS is the connection to the internet that Blackberries use. When you specify an APN (access point name) your Blackberry instead uses the normal internet connection that other phones use. This does not have the file size limits that BIS does, but is often charged per megabyte

04-05-09 06:37 AM
    ok, with you so far. How do I specify an APN?
    04-05-09 06:40 AM
    Option -> Advanced Options -> TCP/IP - you will need to get the APN, and username and password (if needed) from your Service Provider

04-05-09 06:42 AM
    And then I can check at the same time whether I'll still be on the unlimited download thing. Woohoo, it looks like I'm getting somewhere! Thanks
    04-05-09 06:45 AM
    Sure thing

04-05-09 06:53 AM
    just curious... i like the idea of podcasts, but ive never used them much. I only know of a podcast for my local radio station...

What other types of podcast are out there? is it possible to get video podcasts of say sports highlights or news?

And how does the download of podcasts work? Can you specify to download only over wifi to prevent massive data use... maybe schedule pod cast updates each day?
    04-06-09 05:53 AM
    I only download them over wifi and never had any problem. You can also install the desktop version, to download them every time you connect the Bold to the computer.
    Here are a few podcasts I listen to-just add them into Pod Trapper as they are and share some yo guys have(they're very hard to come by):

5 live's Story of the Day
    Best of Today
    CNET News Daily Podcast
    CNN News Update
    Daily GizWiz
    Discovery
    From The Pages of The Post
    tech5
    04-06-09 06:58 AM
    I love podcasts, I listen to them all the time. Go to itunes and browse around, there is something for everyone.

04-06-09 07:10 AM
    You can also browse from PodTrapper. There are a ton of good ones. I use podtrapper to dowload mine off BIS but have it set to only download when it's plugged in (to save battery life) and I have it set to update in the middle of the night. Love to let my phone work while I sleep!
    04-06-09 07:24 AM
    just search there are plenty to choose from, check out the crackberry cast it is great. Podtrapper is one of the best apps I have tried and when my trial ends in a few days I will purchase it, there support is great to.
    04-06-09 11:44 AM
    Love Podtrapper! Definately worth the $$$. Although I have found that if I try to download new podcasts and charge my BB at the same time, my BB battery gets really hot. Anyone else experiencing this?

04-07-09 02:01 PM
    Very new to pod casts but I already LOVE Pod Trapper!
    Question though: I have two subscriptions I follow. I have sent them to download at 3 am. I am on BIS with a "supposedly" unlimited data download. Will I be able to get those two podcasts updated each night without a problem? Without an extra charge? Can Verizon tell me no, I can't do this? I am a little confused.
    Can anyone help clear this up for me? If I am able to update these two podcasts every night, I will buy Pod Trapper after my trial is up!
    Thanks for any help you can give me!
    04-16-09 07:18 PM
    podtrapper doesnt use BIS data uses TCP APN data. check if you get charged for this.
    04-16-09 09:03 PM
    Actually PodTrapper can/will use whatever's available and enabled (either BIS, MDS/BES, TCP, WAP, WiFi or the desktop downloader). You can enable/disable the types of methods in the Download Settings, but if you hit the menu in there you can enter the 'Advanced' screen where you can enable/disable the various methods within the larger types.

Hope this helps.

-Marcus
    04-20-09 01:38 AM
    Actually PodTrapper can/will use whatever's available and enabled (either BIS, MDS/BES, TCP, WAP, WiFi or the desktop downloader). You can enable/disable the types of methods in the Download Settings, but if you hit the menu in there you can enter the 'Advanced' screen where you can enable/disable the various methods within the larger types.

Hope this helps.

-Marcus
    i turned off all but bis, just in case. works fine, and no limit on bis for me!
    now, how do i get a podcast(.xml) that isn't accessible from podtrappers browse/search?
    04-20-09 08:03 AM
    You can simply click on "add podcasts/enter urls manually". Since these urls are usually quite lengthy, you should google them using your normal bb browser and then copy+paste the urls.
    04-20-09 03:31 PM
    Or Email the URLs to yourself can copy and paste from there. I'm working on Google reader support, so hopefully that'll make it easier in the future.

-Marcus
    VersatileMonkey.com
    04-20-09 06:49 PM
    Marcus,

Excellent application you have! I LOVE the additional play/pause button on the BB desktop.

One question, I am not able to see videopodcasts, but audio works fine. Is this an issue I'm having or does podtrapper do audio only?

I have an 8820 on Tmobile, by the way.

>>> Edit -- never mind, I see that it does to videos, but my 8220 is underpowered. Thanks again for the GREAT product!
    Last edited by EliasZuniga; 04-22-09 at 10:46 AM.
    04-22-09 10:42 AM
    Thanks!

As always let me know if you think of new features you'd like to see.

(I'm in the same boat for video with my 8330)

-Marcus
    VersatileMonkey.com
    04-24-09 05:12 PM
    Sometimes when I try to play a podcast I have downloaded, I get an error message that says" Error playing media:5 Unspecified: The media player failed for an unknown reason. Try again or try to redownload the file."

When I try to redownload the file, it tells me the full file is already there.
    What am I doing wrong?
    05-05-09 09:05 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD