I have a storm that has a minor crack in the glass screen in the upper left...is there a way to replace the glass portion without having to replace the whole lcd?

First time crackberry user...and it rocks! Thanks for your help!
    04-04-09 08:07 PM
    Probably not, an adhesive holds the two screens together. Your best bet is probably to replace the whole screen. You can look on eBay or order a replacement screen from here: Cellular Accessories - Apple, HTC, Microsoft, BlackBerry, Dopod/O2, Accessories Store, Motorola, Acer,
    04-04-09 08:12 PM
    Is this the part I need? Or do I need to buy the type 1/2 screen?

Thanks so much for the quick reply...I'm heartbroken! I was psyched for it but this really puts a damper on the experience. I hope a DIY repair is not too difficult...

edi: can't post links yet...the part I was referring to was the OEM full housing...
    04-04-09 08:19 PM
    Let's just bottom line it. If you bought it off of eBay, you're probably flat out screwed because the repair will be pretty expensive if you can even find the parts needed. If you bought it from Verizon, then you can get a replacement, but you'll have to go through all the hassle of unlocking the replacement and making it work with T-Mobile.

The crack will likely only expand with time, so sorry to say, but I'd start looking for a new phone.
    04-04-09 08:20 PM
    You need to order the LCD screen itself, but first you need to crack open your phone and get the part number of the screen you have. Then match it to type 1 or type 2. FWIW, both my Storms are type 1. It takes about two weeks to get the screen from China (cnn.cn) if you have it air mailed. Anyway, cnn.cn has a video to help you replace the screen. It's really not that hard to do, but you do need to be careful with the ribbon cables and such. You will need a T-6 torx driver and a guitar pick or such to take the phone apart. I use a razor blade, but a guitar pick is probably more "safe."

Once you get the screen you need to pry the old screen off the back plate that it is attached to with adhesive. You can get a small screwdriver or such and carefully pry it away. Then just remove the adhesive covering on the new screen and press it into place. Reassembling the phone is about a 2 minute project. Make sure not to over tighten the screws!

As for your original question, the answer is no. The glass has the touch sensors in it and there is a small ribbon cable that runs from the LCD to the LCD on one end. It didn't appear to me that there was any way to completely separate the glass from the LCD without cutting the cable. If there had been then I would have a glass for you because I tried to save it. My problem was a damaged LCD, but the glass was fine and I had to toss it all out. Oh well.

I'm still searching for the internal piece that holds the button for the display. Not only was the display broken, but the button is dead and stuck pushed in. If I could find that part I'd have a second complete working Storm!

Good luck!

Edit: I think I took a couple photos, but I need to run off for a bit. I'll look for them and post them later if I think they'll be helpful.

Edit 2: Sorry, no helpful pics.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 04-04-09 at 10:54 PM. Reason: edit
    04-04-09 08:37 PM
    good deal...thanks so much for the quick replies!!! After looking at that website above, I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy a new screen and bezel for my storm and do it myself. Some of the DIY's out there are confusing, but it seems relatively simple. Once I receive the screen, I'm going to upload a video of me taking it apart and putting it back together again in hopes that it will help all the people here with cracked screens...

chuck, is the only way to find out which screen part number I have is to rip the whole thing apart? The little ribbon wire that connects the screen to the until makes me paranoid...how fragile are the pieces to take apart? Thanks so much!
    04-05-09 07:42 PM
    Probably not, an adhesive holds the two screens together. Your best bet is probably to replace the whole screen. You can look on eBay or order a replacement screen from here: Cellular Accessories - Apple, HTC, Microsoft, BlackBerry, Dopod/O2, Accessories Store, Motorola, Acer,
    Hey man, I have romoved the glass from my lcd and it is not that difficult. It is held on with the same type of adhesive or double sided tape that holds the camera lens cover and the bottom peice on the exterior of the phone. Although I know it is possible to remove the glass without hindering the functionality, I am not sure how the ribbon cable connects to the board inside the phone. There is a ribbon running from the glass portion of the screen, and I didn't explore it very much. Also, i am not sure of any retailer that sells the glass by itself.

Anyway, hope this helps some.
    04-05-09 07:49 PM
    I have a storm that has a minor crack in the glass screen in the upper left...is there a way to replace the glass portion without having to replace the whole lcd?

First time crackberry user...and it rocks! Thanks for your help!

Hey man, I have romoved the glass from my lcd and it is not that difficult. It is held on with the same type of adhesive or double sided tape that holds the camera lens cover and the bottom peice on the exterior of the phone. Although I know it is possible to remove the glass without hindering the functionality, I am not sure how the ribbon cable connects to the board inside the phone. There is a ribbon running from the glass portion of the screen, and I didn't explore it very much. Also, i am not sure of any retailer that sells the glass by itself.

Anyway, hope this helps some.
    04-05-09 07:50 PM
    I've been reading many posts that say, "it's possible but don't do it..." "the glass screen can be difficult to take off the actual lcd.. 'cause of the glue adhers it."
    But can someone PLEASE give the actual steps in replacing the actual GLASS SCREEN (not the lcd) just the screen. It must be do-able if there are so many websites that sell just the screen. I just wanna know how, even if I have to carefully patiently have to sit for 2hours doing so! Thanks anyone.
    10-13-09 11:23 PM
    simple get a guitar pick and carefully seperate the two, as for the glue sticking them together that is an iphone screen.

look for the vids that show how to remove dust under the screen !
    10-14-09 01:22 AM
    I need to order a new lcd screen after cracking mine, can anyone tell me where on storm I can find which version of the LCD screen I have? Is it on the actual screen or ribbon cable?
    12-14-09 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD