Once you've downloaded a 3rd party app, do you normally edit the permissions settings to further protect your phone from unwanted communication? I just browsed the 8900 manual figured out you can expand the 3 permission setting parameters. I've denied most connections. What is everyone else doing? What typically are your settings for 3rd party apps?

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 08:35 AM
    Some apps in order for them to operate correctly require you to allow permission to a three... if you don't I've found that the program usually tells it until I change it... if you feel uncomfortable with allowing this you should not download these apps because they will not work if you try to restrict them.
    04-03-09 08:47 AM
    It is inadviasble to change application permissions since the programmer has defined what the program needs at time of writing. It is a virtual certainty that by doing this you will cause problems on your phone sooner or later.

I reccomend that you reset everything back as it was.
    04-03-09 09:05 AM
    Hi fatboy97, yes I can appreciate that 3rd party apps require some level of connectivity, however some of the permissions defaulted to 'allow' are unsettling. I've pasted the section in question below (taken from 8900 manual) for further detail. In particular, I don't like the idea of allowing 3rd party apps access to personal information.

Connection permissions for third-party applications

USB:Set whether third-party applications can use physical connections, such as a USB cable or RS-232 cable, that you have set up for
    your BlackBerry� device.
    Bluetooth:Set whether third-party applications can use Bluetooth� connections.
    Phone:Set whether third-party applications can make calls or access call logs.
    Location Data:Set whether third-party applications can use your GPS location information.
    Server Network:Set whether third-party applications can access the Internet or your organization's intranet using your organization's network.
    Internet:Set whether third-party applications can access the Internet through your wireless service provider (for example, using a direct
    Internet connection or a WAP gateway).
    Wi-Fi:Set whether third-party applications can use Wi-Fi� connections.

Interaction permissions for third-party applications

Cross Application Communication:Specify whether third-party applications can communicate and share data with other applications on your BlackBerry� device.
    Device Settings:Specify whether third-party applications can turn on or turn off your device or change device options, such as display options.
    Media:Specify whether third-party applications can access media files on your device.
    Application Management:Specify whether third-party applications can add or delete application modules or access module information such as an application
    name or version.
    Themes:Specify whether your device can use third-party applications as a source for customized themes.
    Input Simulation:Specify whether third-party applications can simulate actions, such as pressing a key on your device.
    Browser Filtering:Specify whether third-party applications can register browser filters with the browser on your device to add, change, or delete web
    site content before it appears in your browser.
    Screen Capturing:Specify whether third-party applications can take screen shots of the device screen.
    Security Timer Reset:Specify whether third-party applications can reset the duration that your device remains unlocked after you stop using it.

Data permissions for third-party applications

Email:Set whether third-party applications can access email messages, SMS text messages, MMS messages, or PIN messages on your
    BlackBerry� device.
    Organizer Data:Set whether third-party applications can access organizer data such as contacts, calendar entries, tasks, or memos.
    Files:Set whether third-party applications can access files that you store on your device. For example, you can set whether third-party
    applications can access files that you transfer to your device using the media manager tool of the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager or
    Bluetooth� technology.
    Security Data::Set whether third-party applications can access certificates or keys in the key store on your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 09:07 AM
    I have to agree, you'll want to deny all 3rd party apps from accessing datastores on the 8900. You could inadvertantly send personal information or get hacked. You lose app functionality and email and everything the BB was meant to do, but gain a most secure device, however with not much functionality ...

April Fools.
    Last edited by lazerus; 04-03-09 at 10:42 AM.
    04-03-09 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD