All these blackberries pretty much look the same. I mean the bold curve and Niagra are pretty much the same concept with a slightly different design, but for the most part look the same. They need to change up how these phones look or make new features like a full keyboard and touchscreen.

I know they may all function a little different because of the OS's on them, but I want to see something new and different, not an oversized pearl...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BoNg420; 04-03-09 at 07:56 AM.
    04-03-09 07:53 AM
    Umm....I don't really understand the point of your post since I'm sure we all have noticed the similar look to the different BBs. But anyway, I'm pretty sure the 9900 that's supposed to be coming out is supposed to be a full keyboard, and touchscreen. But I don't think that's gonna make you happy, cuz it's also going to LOOK very similar to the other BB phones.
    04-03-09 08:10 AM
    Umm....I don't really understand the point of your post since I'm sure we all have noticed the similar look to the different BBs. But anyway, I'm pretty sure the 9900 that's supposed to be coming out is supposed to be a full keyboard, and touchscreen. But I don't think that's gonna make you happy, cuz it's also going to LOOK very similar to the other BB phones.
    LOL gotta agree with you there, i dont really care if any of the new BB's look the same....what matters to me is that works, is stable and does everything i want it to.

Now if the 9630 came over to the UK, wont happen as none of the networks here use CDMA then id get one. But im waiting for the new BB Bold successor which hopefully will be out next yr.

Makes me wonder why the North American networks, some of them still use CDMA technology...its kinda dated now.
    04-03-09 08:16 AM
    Makes me wonder why the North American networks, some of them still use CDMA technology...its kinda dated now.
    Verizon will tell you it is because it is technologically superior to gsm...
    04-03-09 08:51 AM
    Verizon will tell you it is because it is technologically superior to gsm...

Really??...didnt know but then i dont think thats true ie CDMA is superior over GSM. I like the fact that here in Europe you can buy a phone and change sims as and when you want to whereas CDMA just locks u into using the hardcoded sim that comes with the phone.
    04-03-09 08:55 AM
    All these blackberries pretty much look the same. I mean the bold curve and Niagra are pretty much the same concept with a slightly different design, but for the most part look the same. They need to change up how these phones look or make new features like a full keyboard and touchscreen.

I know they may all function a little different because of the OS's on them, but I want to see something new and different, not an oversized pearl...

By the way...even with the full touchscreen and all, the Storm ALSO LOOKS very much like the other BBs and the Pearl Flip does add a new twist. BB's are distinct and noticeable and can be customized with parts and options like Colorware etc. , which also makes them fashionable. They are also comfortably functional which is why they sell so well. Most of the BB market isn't looking for stylish innovation (although I think most of them do find the BB to be very stylish) they are looking for function and stability. Besides, alot of people LOVE their physical keyboard, and alot of other people can't stand touchscreens. All-in-all I think RIM does an excellent job of knowing who their major market is, and catering to that market.
    04-03-09 09:04 AM
    Well my point was that every phone they make looks the same. I just think it would be cool if they came up with some different design or feature instead of the trackball and same keyboard style. I know the big thing is functionality, Im happy with my storm, but I might get a new BB if it was a different look and had touch screen and keyboard.

Last edited by BoNg420; 04-03-09 at 09:08 AM.
    04-03-09 09:05 AM
    They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I remember reading that the signal travels farther. So towers can be farther away.

Soft hand offs w cell tower switches instead of hard which drops calls on gsm users.

When a cdma phone has 2 bars of service it will sound the same as a cdma w 4 bars. On gsm the call quality drops.

This is all stuff that I read and not sure if its all true.
    04-03-09 09:13 AM
    Really??...didnt know but then i dont think thats true ie CDMA is superior over GSM. I like the fact that here in Europe you can buy a phone and change sims as and when you want to whereas CDMA just locks u into using the hardcoded sim that comes with the phone.
    Well really we have no sim cards, it is just locked into the phone. CDMA does have something like a sim card but it doesnt exist here. I forget what it is called but china uses them I believe. I could be wrong here because I read that on the internet, but that is what I have read.
    Anyways, CDMA supposedly supports better voice clarity. However it supports less users per tower compared to GSM. I prefer GSM myself as the best phones seem to come out for it, but this Niagara seems that it will be a great CDMA phone, maybe even better than all of the GSM bbs out there.
    Next generation verizon has signed on to LTE, so coverage in the states should go nuts, if it works anything like tmobo and att are right now.
    04-03-09 10:10 AM
    Well really we have no sim cards, it is just locked into the phone. CDMA does have something like a sim card but it doesnt exist here. I forget what it is called but china uses them I believe. I could be wrong here because I read that on the internet, but that is what I have read.
    Anyways, CDMA supposedly supports better voice clarity. However it supports less users per tower compared to GSM. I prefer GSM myself as the best phones seem to come out for it, but this Niagara seems that it will be a great CDMA phone, maybe even better than all of the GSM bbs out there.
    Next generation verizon has signed on to LTE, so coverage in the states should go nuts, if it works anything like tmobo and att are right now.
    the storm has a removable sim card.
    04-03-09 10:24 AM
    well isnt it a world phone?
    04-03-09 10:40 AM
    Anyone wanna buy a Bold? I'm tired of people asking me if I like my huge Curve..

04-03-09 10:49 AM

To me, the pearl is an undersized curve, a Harley Sportster, a girly phone. Now, I dont think the Curve looks anything like the Bold, i think thats crazy to even suggest.
    04-03-09 05:07 PM
    That's so it can access GSM networks worldwide. It doesn't actually use it in the US.

04-03-09 05:56 PM
    How would you suggest they change up the look? Put the keyboard on top of the phone or something instead - just for a change?

BlackBerries are the way they are because they work best that way. Why mess with something that is working well? I like the way my Curve is laid out and it works beautifully for me. I wouldn't want it to change.

And there's subtle differences between the phones that makes them unique. You just have to look for them.

~Bcloutier~
    04-03-09 09:13 PM
    Blackberries are a lot like hammers. They are simple and do what they are supposed to do easily and efficiently. Very functional phones. I like the "simple" look of them.

They have that "get things done" look to them.

04-03-09 09:31 PM
    I don't mind that they look similar.. Each has its own twist that makes me want to own'em all.

04-03-09 09:38 PM
    well isnt it a world phone?
    Yes, the Storm is basically a World Phone.
    04-03-09 10:07 PM
    i wouldn't mind a little more differentiation. it's nice to have that feeling that youre phone is unique and stands out. worked for the iphone i guess
    04-03-09 10:51 PM
    i wouldn't mind a little more differentiation. it's nice to have that feeling that youre phone is unique and stands out. worked for the iphone i guess
    I understand what you're saying, since they really do look very similar, but the 1st and 2nd gen iphones also look very similar.

I think the accessory market and themes is how you add individuality to your phone.
    04-04-09 02:42 AM
    I agree... BlackBerry is a very distinct in and of itself. If you were to mix it up, it just wouldn't be a BlackBerry.

Technologically, CDMA is superior to GSM.

04-04-09 08:54 AM
    What is the Difference Between GSM and CDMA?

04-04-09 08:55 AM
    i think the way rim is going with styling, storm, 8900, and now the 9630 is the right way to go! The bold is a very nice device as well but I think it'll be the only one of its kind as I think RIM wants to go in the other direction which I think works well.
    04-04-09 11:27 AM
    Actually, CDMA is newer than GSM. That being said, the majority of the North American CDMA carriers have announced they are going to LTE for the 4G network I guessing to have a true global standard as opposed to having one technology or the other depending on where you are.
    04-04-09 12:05 PM
    I love how the niagara looks. It's like a perfect mix between the 8900 and the bold. I hope that there is a full glass cover for the screen because especially with the storm I hate how dust gets below the screen. I don't really like the battery door cover but that can be easily covered up with a cover.
    04-04-09 02:10 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD