title says it all...whats the latest non-beta firmware released by RIM for the ATT bold 9000? need to help a friend who just got it...

thanks guys!
    04-02-09 09:23 PM
    Mine shipped with .167

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 09:29 PM
    .167 is a horrendous OS. do your friend a favor and tell him to upgrade to .247
    04-02-09 09:33 PM
    title says it all...whats the latest non-beta firmware released by RIM for the ATT bold 9000? need to help a friend who just got it...

thanks guys!
    Don't quote me 100% on this but I think I read somewhere on this forum that AT&T was supposed to release an official OS in May.
    04-02-09 09:37 PM
    .167 is a horrendous OS. do your friend a favor and tell him to upgrade to .247
    I have .167 on my machine, and it works flawlessly. I've downloaded Viigo,Quicklaunch, Bolt, absolutely no problems. The problem with so many of you guys that you screw with the BB more than use it. There is absolutely nothing my Bold doesn't do.Horrendous? Buy a cell phone, no problems.
    04-02-09 09:54 PM
    The problem with so many of you guys that you screw with the BB more than use it. .
    Hey cowboy you should never A$$ U ME (assume)
    04-02-09 09:58 PM
    .247 >.147
    04-02-09 10:07 PM
    LOL! If AT&T release 247 officially, will it be the best OS for Bold?
    04-02-09 10:15 PM
    That is a good question. I'm pretty sure you can tell by 3G stability (.167 drops here and there even, not as often if you're in close range of a tower)
    04-02-09 10:23 PM
    Mine is a couple of months old and it had
    .167 OS. I upgraded to .216 and then to 237 in which I am sticking with. An yes I did fine .167 stable.
    04-02-09 10:24 PM
    I've only done one upgrade. Went from 167 to 237 and i love it! I went from around 28MB up to 40MB with this version.Battery life is great..

I'd say go with .237
    04-02-09 10:30 PM
    LOL! If AT&T release 247 officially, will it be the best OS for Bold?

Without a doubt it would be. For those who know .167 has many shortcomings .247 on the other hand has more memory, improved battery life, stronger signal, better & faster browser, faster functionality, the list goes on and on. .247 overall is a more stable OS than .167 hands down don't let anyone tell you different.
    Last edited by JD914; 04-02-09 at 10:36 PM.
    04-02-09 10:33 PM
    Yep .247 the best ...hoping the official. OS drops soon from at&t would like the visual voicemail working...

04-02-09 10:47 PM
    I have .167 on my machine, and it works flawlessly. I've downloaded Viigo,Quicklaunch, Bolt, absolutely no problems. The problem with so many of you guys that you screw with the BB more than use it. There is absolutely nothing my Bold doesn't do.Horrendous? Buy a cell phone, no problems.
    "Horrendous" aside, it is indisputable that .247 or .237 are material improvements over .167. But, if you're happy ... that's great.

Since I upgraded the first time there have been 95 days. I work 12 to 14 hour days, plus weekend usage. That translates into roughly 1,140 hours, of which I've spent 3 hours upgrading, through .247. That's .26% of my time upgrading rather than using.

Yep, I see your point.

(And .167 is the latest official AT&T OS.)
    Last edited by taddley; 04-02-09 at 11:36 PM.
    04-02-09 11:31 PM
    So where would you go to download these firmwares and if you choose to do so and have problems
    With you phone will it void the warrent you have on the phone or anything like that??

04-03-09 02:05 AM
    I got an email from Blackberry yesterday telling me an OS update was available. I am with vodafone UK but the email had a link to (can't post links yet) blackberry site /updates .A new application installer was downloaded first and then it upgraded my OS to .247. The email says the upgrade is approved by my wireless service provider (I had previously had the latest vodafone approved OS installed .162). I thought two things were interesting; first that software updates are coming straight from blackberry now and not through my network provider. Second that .247 seems to be an official release now?
    04-03-09 02:36 AM
    So where would you go to download these firmwares and if you choose to do so and have problems
    With you phone will it void the warrent you have on the phone or anything like that??
    There are 4 or 5 threads in the Bold and OS forums that specifically address these (.237 & .247) upgrades. No ... OS upgrades will not void your warranty. But make sure you do your homework and read through these threads and Upgrade 101 series here at CB.

... I thought two things were interesting; first that software updates are coming straight from blackberry now and not through my network provider. Second that .247 seems to be an official release now?
    I think we've been able to download official upgrades direct from RIM for some time now.

.247 has been official for a couple of weeks now. From your experience, it looks like at least one more carrier has gone official with it.
    04-03-09 07:45 AM
    Yes, .167 works obviously, or they wouldn't ship it with the phones. Does that mean there is not something better available? .247 provides better memory usage, better cell reception, better battery life, better overall responsiveness, and even a few new functions. in all honestly I drop about 25% less calls than I used to, and about 15% better battery life. That alone is worth it for me.

There is nothing that my Bold won't do either, and now it does better, faster, and longer than yours. :P

04-03-09 08:46 AM
    Without a doubt it would be. For those who know .167 has many shortcomings .247 on the other hand has more memory, improved battery life, stronger signal, better & faster browser, faster functionality, the list goes on and on. .247 overall is a more stable OS than .167 hands down don't let anyone tell you different.
    except if you want to tether your bold with a mac. You cannot go past .190

so its not "the best" OS its just your opinion. Ive had up to .247 and they have all worked the same. Ive had the best battery life on .185 so its opinions around here.

the only thing I will agree on is that .167 has worse network coverage capability and battery life and the fact that you cant watch movies on .167 without that thing reseting.
    04-04-09 02:02 AM
    The problem with so many of you guys that you screw with the BB more than use it.
    learn some proper english, updating the software isn't screwing with your bberry, they upgrade OS's for a reason
    04-04-09 03:26 AM
    If you receive this, no sarcasm at all. It seems to me that a lot of the posts are indicitive of new owners not doing the most basic thing....reading the manual. If you learn how to use Desktop Manager, and don't download everything you read about until you are familiar with the product, you generally won't have any problems, unless hardware fails. These posts are asking us to teach them what they refuse to make an effort to learn. I've been in consumer electronics for 30 years, I know of what I speak. That is why I wondered why the overwhelming obsession with next OS update. Yes, it will fix a few bugs, but it still doesn't address the newbie from doing his homework BEFORE he posts questions that are simply answered. Would you disagree?
    04-04-09 11:37 AM
    Dear JD,

No sarcasm here. I look at all of the posts, and close to 1/2 of the users never bother to even read the manuals, especially on the web which is more complete. If they used Desktop Manager, and didn't download every program they can find, their BB's would work fine, even under .167. Now granted, it does have some bugs, and the new OS will be a big improvement, granted. But as I said, I'm pretty saavy on this stuff, been in consumer electonics for 30 years, and have had every cell phone since you had to burn in the chip to use the car version before the handsets. Like I said, how many of the 18,000 applicants for the free unlock code have a clue what it does. How many do you think travel overseas and understand it's use? I don't mind questions, I have many myself, but I do some research before just asking a question that has been posted 500 times already. It's a waste of time. If they make that attempt, glad to assist. But I think half the people just have a toy, when a BB is really a business machine. This back and forth about changing suppliers every week is tiring. No vendor doesn't have it's issues...TMobile, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon. There is no perfect supplier or machine. That's my issue with all these silly posts.
    04-04-09 03:02 PM
    I just went from .220 to .247. So far, so good.

.247 is posted as a sticky in this Forum complete with instructions. Take your time, follow the instructions and you should be fine.
    04-04-09 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD