on att when you have the storm unlocked on it does it say edge or should it say 3g if i am. Does it always say edge or would it say 3g sometimes. I always have 3g on my old phone in my house so i dont know if it is supposse to. Thanks Everyone for your help
    04-02-09 07:11 PM
    edge only on storm no 3g
    04-02-09 07:25 PM
    on att when you have the storm unlocked on it does it say edge or should it say 3g if i am. Does it always say edge or would it say 3g sometimes. I always have 3g on my old phone in my house so i dont know if it is supposse to. Thanks Everyone for your help
    It'll say edge for voice and text but will say EDGE for data ,BIS mms
    Last edited by majgi; 04-02-09 at 07:28 PM.
    04-02-09 07:26 PM
    ^^^Yup. Got to get the BB data plan to have EDGE.
    04-02-09 07:33 PM
    edge only on storm no 3g
    EDIT: My bad, they are talking about storm on GSM. I just get very fustrated with people not getting that CDMA has been "3g" (which, BTW, many people just throw around there and it really means 3rd generation and often it is referring to the model and not the frequency) forever and a day. GSM is slower than CDMA, it is just newer.
    Last edited by Janye; 04-02-09 at 07:44 PM. Reason: re read post
    04-02-09 07:42 PM
    GAHHHH

We seriously need a darn KB here that your required to look through.

3g = Rev A = CDMA > EVDO not EDGE

CDMA > GSM

GSM is SLOWER, yes SLOWER than CDMA, CDMA technology has been around longer.

Shag this, I am going to msg a mod to see if I can get some support for a KB here. Just a whole glossary people can search.

In the meantime, WIKI PEOPLE CDMA2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is your tantrum for? What he said is not incorrect. And he did answer the OP's question.
    04-02-09 07:44 PM
    ummmm edge and 3g are 2 different things... i am not sure why you are trying to call me out and EVDO is verizon speak for 3g
    04-02-09 07:47 PM
    EvDO = 3G CDMA
    1x RTT = 2G CDMA

3G (HSPA/HSDPA/UMTS) = 3G GSM
    EDGE = 2G GSM
    GPRS = 1.5G GSM
    04-02-09 07:56 PM
    its ok, some people have their panties in a bunch...
    04-02-09 08:01 PM
    Did no one see the edit I made two seconds later ? Here it is again:

EDIT: My bad, they are talking about storm on GSM. I just get very fustrated with people not getting that CDMA has been "3g" (which, BTW, many people just throw around there and it really means 3rd generation and often it is referring to the model and not the frequency) forever and a day. GSM is slower than CDMA, it is just newer.
    04-02-09 08:12 PM
    Did no one see the edit I made two seconds later ? Here it is again:

04-02-09 08:13 PM
    and i did not see it until now, my apologies
    04-02-09 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD